The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do we assess this weekends results? (Trolls need not read)

Derp...

Last season we played the whole first month at .500, struggled hard at the start but by the 48 game mark we were 2nd in the conference. I'd be happy going into the playoffs top-3, so this doesn't bother me.

Sure, our conference looks tougher. St. Louis look much better, Chicago are red hot right now and Minny/Edmonton are much improved but a lot of teams have taken steps back. Nashville, Detroit and Phoenix are all terrible now compared to last season. Power hasn't shifted much in the West, St.Louis look like the team to beat but we've had their number in the playoffs and have always played well in St.Louis so our only real question mark will be Minnesota (always play well against us) and Chicago (we always play badly against them).

It's not the start I wanted, but I still think of it as a loss and a tie regardless of what the standings say. I'm going to give them at least eight games before I start judging on results rather than process, and I did see an improvement between the first and second games.

Being a shortened season points at the beginning could very well determine who gets into the playoffs or not. I am not saying Van is not going to make playoffs all I am saying is that with half the amount of games, Shoot outs and extra points are crucial. Look what happened to the Flames last year, out of 12 shoot outs (12 possible points) they managed a paltry 3 points increase that to 9/12 and they make the playoffs.

I am not saying press the panic button but being a shortened regular season, it is even more important than past years to get off to a good start and collect the points. The fact that our second line has been gutted really doesn't help and I don't think it is fair to lay responsibility on players like Zack Kassian to come to the rescue. A couple more losses before this is turned around, and there could be some serious problems at the back end of the season!

Archived