The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis should be fired! Bring back Burke!

bertuzz

This is my first posting although I've been a die-hard Canucks since the early 90's. I am so enraged with what Gillis has done to this team that i have to say something! I've followed every game through the decades and have seen all the ups and downs from the glory days when Bure and Mogilny were flying around the ice lighting up opposition goalies to the lean years of the late 90's, When Brian Burke took over, he rebuilt the whole team with toughness and grit, and when you think about it, the Canucks team that made it to the finals in 2011 was almost entirely built by Burke. In the past 3 years, Gillis has made one bonehead move after another. here's just a few examples: signing Luongo to a lifetime deal one month after he utterly choked in the series against Chicago(Luongo deserved a one way ticket out of Van.) Gillis had a chance to bring back Bertuzzi, a fan favourite-blew that one. Brendan Morrisson was literally begging to play here-Gillis refused and chose Peter Schaeffer(who was dropped a week into last season.) Gillis the signs Bieksa(imo one of the worst defencemen in the hisory of the Canucks) and gets rid of Ohlund(one of best in Canucks history) At one point just a few years ago the Canucks had an awesome defence that has now turned into the keystone cops with the likes of Bieksa and Alberts etc. The Canucks defence is the glaring weakness that has been exposed in the playoffs in recent years as well as secondary scoring. Gillis has done absolutely nothing to fix these issues and has in fact made the team weaker with his decisions. He gets rid of Sammuelsson who seemed to score huge goals and gets a pathetic loser in Booth. He lets Torres go-another fan favourite, doesn't even offer Byron Bitts a chance, lets Hodgson go, and I could go on! Gillis seems to have a profound dislike of any players over 30 or who have 1000+ games of NHL experience when that is exactly what the Canucks need! This is not the time to rebuild! I guess if as a fan you want to wait 20 years for another Cup run, then Gillis is the man. What the Canucks need is more veterans and more experience-not less. The Canucks these days resemble a minor league team. Can anyone name a single good player Gillis has bought in? He was extremely lucky the Sedins didn't test the open market. The only remotely positive thing he has done was to sign the Sedins, and that was just luck. It's time to start a petition to fire Gillis and bring back Burke. Ok, even if not Burke-anyone else! As a longtime Canucks fan, I'm extremely pissed off at what Gillis is doing to this team, and with him in charge, there may be many lean years ahead!

Blocks of text aren't going to get you anywhere. I'll just take the title as your premise, and say NO. Burke did eff all with the leafs in his 4 years there, no playoffs, and lost 2 high 1st round picks. We're 2 games into the season, it's no time to press the panic button.

Also if you knew anything about the Canucks the last few years you would know that we did give Bitz a chance (he took a bad penalty in a playoff game), Hodgson was dealt, not let go, and then you go on to say this team should be older? Remind me again the average age of the last 4 stanley cup winners? - it's well below 30.

I don't feel that you know enough about the Canucks to claim being a Canuck fan.

Archived