Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 5 votes

Gillis should be fired! Bring back Burke!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#61 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

How does game hunting make you a pathetic loser???? Man i dont get society these days. Were at the top of the food chain for a reason!

I HATE THE BOOTH HATE! THE GUYS GONNA SHUT ALL YOU UP, when hes picking off water bottles like grouse and bears and mountain goats!

Oh my!

The poor guys injured and gets flack for "not training hard in off season" as the cause of injury.... Have any of you hunted in the mountain bush??

Im sure booth went all out, hiking for hours packing around guns, ammo, hind quarters from large animals that he shot LEGALLY! Did the rural areas near by a favour as deer, bears, goats, sheep (wild) are all considered pests and are grossly over populated in said regions.

Hes not killing bald eagles and dolphins...

Guarantee hes in stellar shape right now, just had an unfortunate mishap.

For a top tier team we have the most fickle and negative fan base!

/rant

The problem with Canuck fans, is that a lot of them live in the city.... They think a hike in the wilderness is walking a paved trail in stanley park.

#62 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

You're at least 20 years old but still haven't managed paragraphing? OK.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#63 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

You lost me at Bieksa one of the worst. Also - he's still playing and, as much as I love him, Ohlund's not so that likely wouldn't have helped us much.

"Gilles had a chance to bring back Bertuzzi"....how do you know? My bet is that Bertuzzi is happy to disassociate himself with what was the blackest mark in his life and has long ago moved on. I don't see that that would have happened. Again - love big Bert, but I believe he had a say in things? You speak like you make a decision and it happens - it doesn't. There are two sides involved in that.

And that petition thing? Won't be signing it.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#64 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

No....just no... :sadno:
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#65 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hamhuis.

...Malhotra, Ehrhoff, Tanev, Lapierre , Higgins, Torres...essentially all of the necessary depth that got us to the finals.
Dont believe me? How far did Burke and/or Nonis get this so called team that they built?

end/

#66 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Look Brian I think it's great you started an account here but you don't have anything to worry about. You will find a job somewhere else. You're a pretty good GM man; don't fret just because you lost a job. You were bound to lose that job; it's the Maple Leafs. Things will look up, you don't have to put yourself out there on message boards.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

And a great 1st post it is

I stopped reading after "This is my first posting" not because I didn't want to read it I stopped because I couldn't read it

Wall of text is wall papered with words.

#68 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

This is my first posting although I've been a die-hard Canucks since the early 90's. I am so enraged with what Gillis has done to this team that i have to say something! I've followed every game through the decades and have seen all the ups and downs from the glory days when Bure and Mogilny were flying around the ice lighting up opposition goalies to the lean years of the late 90's, When Brian Burke took over, he rebuilt the whole team with toughness and grit, and when you think about it, the Canucks team that made it to the finals in 2011 was almost entirely built by Burke. In the past 3 years, Gillis has made one bonehead move after another. here's just a few examples: signing Luongo to a lifetime deal one month after he utterly choked in the series against Chicago(Luongo deserved a one way ticket out of Van.) Gillis had a chance to bring back Bertuzzi, a fan favourite-blew that one. Brendan Morrisson was literally begging to play here-Gillis refused and chose Peter Schaeffer(who was dropped a week into last season.) Gillis the signs Bieksa(imo one of the worst defencemen in the hisory of the Canucks) and gets rid of Ohlund(one of best in Canucks history) At one point just a few years ago the Canucks had an awesome defence that has now turned into the keystone cops with the likes of Bieksa and Alberts etc. The Canucks defence is the glaring weakness that has been exposed in the playoffs in recent years as well as secondary scoring. Gillis has done absolutely nothing to fix these issues and has in fact made the team weaker with his decisions. He gets rid of Sammuelsson who seemed to score huge goals and gets a pathetic loser in Booth. He lets Torres go-another fan favourite, doesn't even offer Byron Bitts a chance, lets Hodgson go, and I could go on! Gillis seems to have a profound dislike of any players over 30 or who have 1000+ games of NHL experience when that is exactly what the Canucks need! This is not the time to rebuild! I guess if as a fan you want to wait 20 years for another Cup run, then Gillis is the man. What the Canucks need is more veterans and more experience-not less. The Canucks these days resemble a minor league team. Can anyone name a single good player Gillis has bought in? He was extremely lucky the Sedins didn't test the open market. The only remotely positive thing he has done was to sign the Sedins, and that was just luck. It's time to start a petition to fire Gillis and bring back Burke. Ok, even if not Burke-anyone else! As a longtime Canucks fan, I'm extremely pissed off at what Gillis is doing to this team, and with him in charge, there may be many lean years ahead!

Not sure which is sadder. Your post or the four buffoons that liked it.
258bdr6.jpg

#69 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Can't count re-signing as bringing a player in.

Garrison could easily turn into Ballard 2.0, you're guessing (hoping) he'll be good.

So your list is:
Booth (who was bad last season)
Malhotra (who is not the same player after his injury)
Lapierre
Sundin

MG has been overrated by fans, his drafting is poor and his trades/signings have been pretty lackluster. You left his best acquisition off that list too, one he failed to keep: Ehrhoff.

It is the GM's job to sign, resign and draft. How can you not count resigning players? Especially when he resigned them all for below market value.

MG and all of his depth signings is how we reached the finals. Period. If Burke was so great and he made this team, how come he never got this team past the 2nd round?

Ehrhoff was over rated. His success was far more a product of playing on this team than the other way around. He was soft, and was a terrible defender. How good was he when he went to Buffalo. 32 points and a -2 with only 1 PP goal. Totally worth that ridiculous contract...

#70 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

The problem with Canuck fans, is that a lot of them live in the city.... They think a hike in the wilderness is walking a paved trail in stanley park.

And a lot of us hike the back country in summer and winter, mountain bike up and down mountains, snowboard for 6 hours every other day, hike the chief or the grind on a daily basis...but yeah, us city folk sure dont know anything about a hike in the wilderness.

#71 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

It is the GM's job to sign, resign and draft. How can you not count resigning players? Especially when he resigned them all for below market value.

MG and all of his depth signings is how we reached the finals. Period. If Burke was so great and he made this team, how come he never got this team past the 2nd round?

Ehrhoff was over rated. His success was far more a product of playing on this team than the other way around. He was soft, and was a terrible defender. How good was he when he went to Buffalo. 32 points and a -2 with only 1 PP goal. Totally worth that ridiculous contract...

This is the problem that people don't seem to get. They have no problem saying he should be fired for not re-signing but then make piss poor excuses that they get no credit for re-signing players.

I don't think it works like that.

If Gillis gets dumped on for not re-signing Mitchell or Ehrhoff or Torres then he gets credit for signing Burrows and Kesler and the Sedins etc etc etc. Those are his players now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

And a lot of us hike the back country in summer and winter, mountain bike up and down mountains, snowboard for 6 hours every other day, hike the chief or the grind on a daily basis...but yeah, us city folk sure dont know anything about a hike in the wilderness.

Are trying to claim that growing up rural and growing up in a city aren't vastly different?

World of difference between going to a hike and going on a trek for firewood so you can stay warm in the winter.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#74 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sundin sucked - out of shape fat piggy who had no interest in getting in shape.
But you need to add Hamhuis and Higgins. Sorry, re-signs don't count.

How do resigns not count?? In the salary cap age, resigns are just as important as getting a player in a trade. The Sedins couldve left Vancouver and signed for much more than what they are being paid for, same goes for Burrows and Edler. Considering how much some of the fourth liner nobodies are getting paid. Gillis has managed to resign a lot of key elements of this team.

People seem to think that every player that comes to a hockey team needs to score goals, and lots of points to be "valuable" to their team. If you knew anything about hockey or team sport. Everyone plays their part. Oh why do I even bother.

Gillis is the best GM the Canucks have ever had. Burke was terrible, the only really good thing he did for the Canucks was trade up the draft for the Sedins. I gotta say that was pretty amazing.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#75 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

:sick:
Posted Image

#76 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

This is my first posting although I've been a die-hard Canucks since the early 90's. I am so enraged with what Gillis has done to this team that i have to say something! I've followed every game through the decades and have seen all the ups and downs from the glory days when Bure and Mogilny were flying around the ice lighting up opposition goalies to the lean years of the late 90's, When Brian Burke took over, he rebuilt the whole team with toughness and grit, and when you think about it, the Canucks team that made it to the finals in 2011 was almost entirely built by Burke. In the past 3 years, Gillis has made one bonehead move after another. here's just a few examples: signing Luongo to a lifetime deal one month after he utterly choked in the series against Chicago(Luongo deserved a one way ticket out of Van.) Gillis had a chance to bring back Bertuzzi, a fan favourite-blew that one. Brendan Morrisson was literally begging to play here-Gillis refused and chose Peter Schaeffer(who was dropped a week into last season.) Gillis the signs Bieksa(imo one of the worst defencemen in the hisory of the Canucks) and gets rid of Ohlund(one of best in Canucks history) At one point just a few years ago the Canucks had an awesome defence that has now turned into the keystone cops with the likes of Bieksa and Alberts etc. The Canucks defence is the glaring weakness that has been exposed in the playoffs in recent years as well as secondary scoring. Gillis has done absolutely nothing to fix these issues and has in fact made the team weaker with his decisions. He gets rid of Sammuelsson who seemed to score huge goals and gets a pathetic loser in Booth. He lets Torres go-another fan favourite, doesn't even offer Byron Bitts a chance, lets Hodgson go, and I could go on! Gillis seems to have a profound dislike of any players over 30 or who have 1000+ games of NHL experience when that is exactly what the Canucks need! This is not the time to rebuild! I guess if as a fan you want to wait 20 years for another Cup run, then Gillis is the man. What the Canucks need is more veterans and more experience-not less. The Canucks these days resemble a minor league team. Can anyone name a single good player Gillis has bought in? He was extremely lucky the Sedins didn't test the open market. The only remotely positive thing he has done was to sign the Sedins, and that was just luck. It's time to start a petition to fire Gillis and bring back Burke. Ok, even if not Burke-anyone else! As a longtime Canucks fan, I'm extremely pissed off at what Gillis is doing to this team, and with him in charge, there may be many lean years ahead!

ur an idiot

#77 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

[/size]

Players playing in 2011 Final not brought in by Burke:
- Roberto Luongo
- Cory Schneider
- Keith Ballard
- Chris Tanev
- Dan Hamhuis
- Christain Ehrhoff
- Andrew Alberts
- Aaron Rome
- Malhotra
- Burrows
- Raymond
- Higgins
- Lapierre
- Hansen
- Orescovick
- Bolduc
- Glass
- Edler

Hmm.. Entirely built by Burke huh? Looks like most the roster was Nonis or Gillis, oh and am I missing anyone?

[/size]

:picard:

Yes send your captain and best player packing because of one bad performance, what an outstanding decision that would have been, why don't go back in time and tell them to avoid this ghastly mistake.

[/size]

Where would Morrison have played????

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Torres - Malhotra - Hansen

We offered him a deal and he didn't want it, he wouldn't have out beaten any of those guys. And re-signing Bieksa was a terrible move right? He was only coming off a career season and a playoff in which he was one of our best players, but then again why re-sign him right??

Yes our defense that in 2010-11 consisted of:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Salo
Ballard - Ehrhoff

Is terrible as is our current defense which is:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Absoluetly brutal.

Your right I miss the glory days when our defense consisted of Lukas Krajicek and Aaron Miller as regulars.

Samulesson an older player who was an upcoming UFA for a younger player who brings a skillset we lacked and needed, yes terrible move.

Just like it was terrible not to re-sign Torres at over 2 Million, you do realize he wanted more than he was worth to us right?

Byron Bitz, I liked him, would rather him than Desbiens but not a huge lose

And Hodgson asking for a trade is definetly "letting Hodgson go"

... :picard: You do realize almost everything you said here is almost the exact opposite of reality.

Minor League Team? LOL just won back to back PT's and went to Game 7, I guess only minor league teams do that!

And how about Dan Hamhuis?? Jason Garrison?? Draftin Nick Jensen?? (That's still bringing in a player) Signing Chris Tanev, Signing Eddie Lack, Signing Mats Sundin, trading for Ehrhoff. Trading for Higgins, Trading for Lappierre.

Were these all bad moves aswell???

The fact you had the patience to answer this guys post is nothing short of amazing. +1

After reading his drivel I was ready to opt for some choice words and a ban.

I'm so tired of these people that live in the past. Burke was unsuccessful here. Morrison, Bertuzzi and Naslund couldn't even get close to achieving what our current club has. Linden, Bure and Mclean aren't coming back to resurrect the unlikely 94 run.

We have the best and most competitive team in our history with the greatest goalie in franchise history. Gillis and AV are highly responsible for building that. Had we been a bit healthier we would already have our first cup. I've watched this team since 1971 and I'll take the "gillis" years where the Cup was our objective over the 37 years before him when making the playoffs was a thrill.

If they bring Burke back I'll cash in my seasons' tickets.
258bdr6.jpg

#78 justsayin

justsayin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Sundin
Malhotra
Lapierre
Booth
Garrison
Re-signed Burrows
Re-signed Edler
Re-signed Schneider

You forgot Higgins

#79 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sundin was a good influence on the whole team. Don't forget that the Sedins turned from PPG players into Art Ross winners right after Sundin played here

Just before the sun goes up everyday, I get up, go to the bathroom and have a crap. That doesn't mean that my having a crap makes the sun go up. All Sundin showed anyone on Vancouver was how to be a big, fat, out of shape slob who didn't give a crap about getting in shape. He was never capable of any of the signature Sedin passing plays for which they are now noted. You can't just suggest that two events occured at almost the same time and then say they are causally linked. You have to use some induction to show the method of connection. But to use your kind of reasoning; how could anyone connected with the history of horrific failure that is Toronto, show anyone anything.

#80 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

And I thought I was freaking out. Bieska gets to much hate around here. Edler doesn't get enough.

I do agree with this.

I am a Bieksa AND Edler fan, BTW, but geez, if KB3 kept bobbling the drop pass and looking as readable Big Eddy lumbering up the ice on a PP, the traffic on CDC with calls of "off with his head" would crash the whole "interweb thingy".
Sig too big.

#81 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm not going to lie.....I actually lol'd :blush:
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#82 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Stop making threads, just stop................. :picard:
Posted Image

#83 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Burke did a tremendous job taking a bottom feeder team and maintaining it for 5 years. Basically he took them from 4th in their division to 5th.

Oh yeah and that Kessel for Seguin, Hamilton and Knight was a beauty.

Not a Gillis lover, but please...No to Burke!

#84 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Sundin
Malhotra
Lapierre
Booth
Garrison
Re-signed Burrows
Re-signed Edler
Re-signed Schneider

Demitra
Samuelsson
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#85 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

the OP is definately NOT a long time fan more like zero and just a troll look this thread

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#86 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

The fact you had the patience to answer this guys post is nothing short of amazing. +1

After reading his drivel I was ready to opt for some choice words and a ban.

I'm so tired of these people that live in the past. Burke was unsuccessful here. Morrison, Bertuzzi and Naslund couldn't even get close to achieving what our current club has. Linden, Bure and Mclean aren't coming back to resurrect the unlikely 94 run.

We have the best and most competitive team in our history with the greatest goalie in franchise history. Gillis and AV are highly responsible for building that. Had we been a bit healthier we would already have our first cup. I've watched this team since 1971 and I'll take the "gillis" years where the Cup was our objective over the 37 years before him when making the playoffs was a thrill.

If they bring Burke back I'll cash in my seasons' tickets.

Haha thanks.

I agree I am getting tired of it too, the WCE days were great but it was a team that lacked depth, Gillis has done more than any GM has done in this teams history, we are a legit contender every year and are going through the greatest era of success we ever have, even when people get mad at development I think they are just comparing us to Edmonton ans saying we suck rather than taking circumstances into consideration which is the fair thing to do when judging.

Like you I am getting tired of using hindsight as the motive for these MG bashing's.

zackass.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.