The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis should be fired! Bring back Burke!

bertuzz

Willie Mitchell is worth every penny he earns at $3.5M. If Willie Mitchell was still on this team he would be the Canucks 2nd lowest paid defenseman. But next year he would of been the Canucks cheapest defenseman, so I don't understand where you are coming from that he wanted to0 much to play here, when Gillis has signed or resigned all his D to over 4M.

MG loves keeping useless guys like Raymond and Malhotra on the team. The Canucks 4th line is always outplayed and outscored in the playoffs, but nothing is done by MG for the new season. it's again the same Weise, Malhotra, Volpatti sorry 4th line, already -5 in just 2 games.

Dont worry guy Morrison is still avaliable.

My suggestion:

- Sign Morrison, 1 year 5.5 Million.

- Trade Booth, Jensen, Schroeder for Bertuzzi

- Hamhuis for Ohlund

- Kesler, Kassian, 1st for Hodgson.

- Bieksa & Ballard for a 7th

- Re-sign Aaron Miller and Lukas Kracjiek

- Trade Tanev for Mike Komisarek

- Buyout Luongo

- Re-Sign Cloutier

Line-up:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Raymond - Morrison - Bertuzzi

Higgins - Morrison - Hansen

Volpatti - Manny - Weise

Ohlund - Edler

Krajicek - Miller

Garrison - Komisarek

Cloutier

Schneider

Hopefully this fits the OP's vision, thoughts?

Gillis has done some good things for the team, but he's made a lot of moves that sucked a ss too:

Signing Luongo the play-off choke artist to a life time deal, trading Grabner, a player with great offensive skill, for the expensive and thoroughly useless Ballard, giving up Hodgson, the best prospect in years who really had an impact on the team and contributed a lot of offense, for a big, untested, work in progress plug - Kassian, which essentially is trading skill for size, and doing it right before the play offs with the idea of turning the team suddenly into a 2 scoring line two checking line team.....

Bringing in Booth as a line mate for Kesler, who he is totally incompatible with, and didnt even know he was gonna be traded to Van, doing fukall during free agency except sign Garrison, is reluctant to make any major moves, just minor tinkering, spends more time picking up underdogs on the cheap than trying to land a decent trade or pick up, keeps Raymond, and keeps that useless little piece of s**t Ebbett on the team insteaad of giving Schroeder a shot, and takes forever to get Lou traded and asks for way too much in return.

This is my first posting although I've been a die-hard Canucks since the early 90's. I am so enraged with what Gillis has done to this team that i have to say something! I've followed every game through the decades and have seen all the ups and downs from the glory days when Bure and Mogilny were flying around the ice lighting up opposition goalies to the lean years of the late 90's, When Brian Burke took over, he rebuilt the whole team with toughness and grit, and when you think about it, the Canucks team that made it to the finals in 2011 was almost entirely built by Burke. In the past 3 years, Gillis has made one bonehead move after another. here's just a few examples: signing Luongo to a lifetime deal one month after he utterly choked in the series against Chicago(Luongo deserved a one way ticket out of Van.) Gillis had a chance to bring back Bertuzzi, a fan favourite-blew that one. Brendan Morrisson was literally begging to play here-Gillis refused and chose Peter Schaeffer(who was dropped a week into last season.) Gillis the signs Bieksa(imo one of the worst defencemen in the hisory of the Canucks) and gets rid of Ohlund(one of best in Canucks history) At one point just a few years ago the Canucks had an awesome defence that has now turned into the keystone cops with the likes of Bieksa and Alberts etc. The Canucks defence is the glaring weakness that has been exposed in the playoffs in recent years as well as secondary scoring. Gillis has done absolutely nothing to fix these issues and has in fact made the team weaker with his decisions. He gets rid of Sammuelsson who seemed to score huge goals and gets a pathetic loser in Booth. He lets Torres go-another fan favourite, doesn't even offer Byron Bitts a chance, lets Hodgson go, and I could go on! Gillis seems to have a profound dislike of any players over 30 or who have 1000+ games of NHL experience when that is exactly what the Canucks need! This is not the time to rebuild! I guess if as a fan you want to wait 20 years for another Cup run, then Gillis is the man. What the Canucks need is more veterans and more experience-not less. The Canucks these days resemble a minor league team. Can anyone name a single good player Gillis has bought in? He was extremely lucky the Sedins didn't test the open market. The only remotely positive thing he has done was to sign the Sedins, and that was just luck. It's time to start a petition to fire Gillis and bring back Burke. Ok, even if not Burke-anyone else! As a longtime Canucks fan, I'm extremely pissed off at what Gillis is doing to this team, and with him in charge, there may be many lean years ahead!

So full of contradictions.

When Bure & Mogilny were here was our glory years? One first round exit and missed the playoffs for four years. You and I have very different opinions of what glory years are.

Burke loaded the team with grit? Naslund, Morrison, the Sedins, Sopel, Malik (the gentle giant), Arvedson, Salo, not mention wasted assets for Sanderson and Rucinsky. That's a whole boat load of non-grit.

Bieksa and Alberts you want gone, yet they are both gritty which you're crying about lacking.

Ohlund over Bieksa? In the last two seasons....

Ohlund 139 gp / 0 g / 18 a / 18 pts / -15

Bieksa 144 gp / 14 g / 52 a / 66 pts / +44

Yup, Bieksa sucks.

You want experience on the team yet you're mad Hodgson was traded, who doesn't have experience, nor is he gritty. We got a guy in exchange who also lacks experience but is in fact griity. You know, that thing you wanted.

Brendan Morrison? Seriously??? You're mad about Morrison? Sedin/Kesler/Malhotra. Where does that put Morrison? Fourth line where he'd be very effective with 8 minutes ice time per game while playing oh so gritty. We had no need of Morrison.

You're post is so riddled with contradictions only one conclussion can be made: The GM should keep players you like and move players you don't like otherwise he sucks. It really has nothing to do with what puts out the best team on the ice with you, as evidenced by what you consider "glory years", it's all about the players you happen to like.

Dont worry guy Morrison is still avaliable.

My suggestion:

- Sign Morrison, 1 year 5.5 Million.

- Trade Booth, Jensen, Schroeder for Bertuzzi

- Hamhuis for Ohlund

- Kesler, Kassian, 1st for Hodgson.

- Bieksa & Ballard for a 7th

- Re-sign Aaron Miller and Lukas Kracjiek

- Trade Tanev for Mike Komisarek

- Buyout Luongo

- Re-Sign Cloutier

Line-up:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Raymond - Morrison - Bertuzzi

Higgins - Morrison - Hansen

Volpatti - Manny - Weise

Ohlund - Edler

Krajicek - Miller

Garrison - Komisarek

Cloutier

Schneider

Hopefully this fits the OP's vision, thoughts?

I know it had nothing to do with money that's why I was quoting the other guy about it and wondering where he was coming from about it being money, because I know that wasn't the fact at all. I know it was because of the concussion and Gillis didn't want to take the risk on Willie, which I was pissed especially when Mitchell said he was good to go, if Mitchell didn't think he was ready or going to be good he would of said he wasn't good, but he didn't he said he was good, but MG didn't want to hear it he already had his mind made up above Mitchell.

Archived