The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I believe AV will love Schroeder! He's going to be given a long leash!

Go Go Canucks Go

Schroeder will succeed! Hopefully his career starts on Wednesday! I hope everyone wishes him well! I think AV will love Schroeder because he has speed, skill and plays a smart game! I think there is a notion around Canucks nation that thinks AV is bad at developing young players and that he hates them. I think he just wants a player, either young or old to just play good smart 2 way hockey without being a defensive liability. Which is why I don't think he felt truly comfortable with Hodgson last season.

Here is just an example of how far his 2 way game has come. A bunch of highlights from a single game regarding his overall play. If he can play like this consistently he'll fit right into AV's system and earn his trust.

-Schroeder has amazing skating ability, if he join the team he will arguably be one of the top 3 best skaters on the club in terms of speed and agility. People who may be ahead of him would be Kesler, Hansen and Raymond. This might be the difference between Schroeder and Ebett when it comes to AV's trust in game situations, mainly on the defensive side of things. Ebett is just way too slow, especially worse cause he's a small guy too

-Playmaking abilities and vision are clearly lacking on this team! Not just in terms of offense but breaking out of the d zone. This is actually something Schroeder is good at! All about puck possesion! We need Raymond to stop handling the puck and just become a shooter because he's terrible at making plays happen.

Overally we need to inject more youth into the line up and hopefully spread some enthusiam to both the fan base and team with some youthful energy. Hodgson did this for us last season and lets hope Schroeder does too

GO CANUCKS GO YALLS! LETS BEAT DA FLAMES YO!

PS: Wish Ballard well too! He needs some loving around here!

Good OP. I agree. I thought Ebbett would get a bit longer to show what he could do but AV and MG made it clear that Schroeder was going to get a chance soon and now it looks very soon.

They could both play, with Ebbett dropping to the 4th line. Nothing against Molhotra, who is a great guy, but it looks like his career is close to being over.

In effect, dropping Malhotra out of the line-up and putting Schroeder in would add speed, energy and playmaking ability.

Schroeder is of course a lot smaller than Manny, but Manny cannot play a physical game at this stage in his career anyway.

I still think that Vandermeer could help the team down the road. We could use his toughness and he could play 4th line wing. (But Weiss and Volpatti are not bad.)

One aspect of Raymond that is underappreciated is that he is an excellent defensive player. On the numbers, he has been the Canucks top PK man over the past two years -- even better than Kesler and Burrows in goals allowed per PK minute. He can also play shutdown. I think it might make sense to put him in that role -- shutdown and PK.

Speaking of smaller players, the lightning signed Brad Marchands younger brother Cory Conacher 2 years ago.

He dominated the AHL and had big time PIM's, now he's making a big impact in the NHL

I just wish Schroeder had a little more of a physical edge to him, it's what makes the smaller plays more effective.

Hopefully he'll develop it along the way.

To earn AV's trust Schroeder has to prove he can make the safe play of out his own zone and win faceoffs.

Only then will AV give him a chance to show what he can really do offensively.

My main question with Schroeder is his size and if he can handle playing against big d men and other teams big forwards especially in the West with teams like the Ducks and Sharks who have big forwards and d.

To earn AV's trust Schroeder has to prove he can make the safe play of out his own zone and win faceoffs.

Only then will AV give him a chance to show what he can really do offensively.

My main question with Schroeder is his size and if he can handle playing against big d men and other teams big forwards especially in the West with teams like the Ducks and Sharks who have big forwards and d.

If he finds chemistry with the other speedsters like Raymond, Hansen or Weise watch out. I want to see this for Calgary:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Weise - Malhotra - Volpatti

1st line - cycle and size

2nd line - all gritty forecheckers

3rd line - all speedy guys score off the rush

4th line - hitters

Archived