21 replies to this topic

#1 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

With all this talk of the Canucks possibly acquiring Couturier in a trade based around Luongo, I think this is the best option for the Canucks. First of all, it fits Gillis' goal of getting younger AND bigger. If he has a good season, Kesler can become expendable, meaning we could upgrade our top 6 or on defence. The guy's 6'3, 200 and I think he can become a fan favourite and a genuine leader for when the Sedins retire. It may sound like a long shot, but I truly think that Gillis can make some magic happen and acquire this guy. Imagine the lines:

S-S-B
Booth-Couturier-(Insert top 6 RW)
Higgins-Schroeder-Kassasin
Plug-Lapps-Plug

Then when the Sedins retire:

(Insert LW)-Couturier-Jensen
Booth-Schroeder/Gaunce-Kassian
Archibald-Schroeder/Gaunce-Grenier
Plug-Mallet/Labate-Plug

Edited by MinnyNux, 21 January 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#2 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Now plan to trade Kesler for Weber...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#3 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Meh

#4 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Adding Couturier doesn't make Kesler expendable.

And Philly has no reason to trade him. They won't want Lu, they'll at least give Bryz another season or so.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#5 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Adding Couturier doesn't make Kesler expendable.

And Philly has no reason to trade him. They won't want Lu, they'll at least give Bryz another season or so.

I'm talking if Couturier puts up 35ish points or something this season, Kesler can become expendable.

Also, I'm basing this proposal off the Gillis interview of the possible player no one expected. Just speculation.

#6 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

You think Couturier can make Kesler expendable? Maybe a few years down the road but not anytime soon.

Why are people all in a lather about this kid? He's an average skater and not overly physical. Seems like he'll be a good NHL player at some point but CDC'rs are making him out to be the second coming.

From Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis

A combination of size and skill, Couturier is a solid and safe contributor at both ends of the ice. Perhaps his on-ice vision is his greatest asset, with a knack for finding an open teammate and threading a pass across the rink. Although he needs to continue to add strength to his frame and he is not known for being a punishing physical player, he uses his body well to protect the puck and make a play. Compared to the rest of the package, his skating is only average with the first few steps needing some extra work.

Future

Couturier will attend Flyers camp with his sights set on securing a roster spot in 2011-12 but with the Flyers' depth at forward, particularly at the center position, he may be headed back to Drummondville for one more season of juniors. Should he return to juniors, Couturier would likely once again play for Canada's entry in the 2012 World Junior U-20 championships. One of the players in consideration for the first overall pick headed into the 2011 NHL Draft, Couturier projects to being a top level two-way forward and a gifted offensive player that makes those around him better. While Flyers fans may have to wait until 2012-13 to see him at the NHL level, he should be a fixture in the Philadelphia lineup once he arrives.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#7 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,190 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Why are people all in a lather about this kid? He's an average skater and not overly physical. Seems like he'll be a good NHL player at some point but CDC'rs are making him out to be the second coming.

He was handling (and excelling with) tough defensive minutes as an 18 year old in the NHL which is basically unheard of. He's tracking to be a very good second line center at this point, possibly more.

Edited by Intoewsables, 22 January 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#8 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

I really wish we could get Couts, but Philly would be stupid to give him up.
Posted Image

#9 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

He was handling (and excelling with) tough defensive minutes as an 18 year old in the NHL which is basically unheard of. He's tracking to be a very good second line center at this point, possibly more.

Pretty much this.. J.Staal 2.0

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#10 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Schenn and Couturier were non-starters when Philadelphia was trying to trade for Weber. They aren't going to trade them for Luongo no matter how many Ballards, Raymonds and Schroeders are thrown in.

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Schenn and Couturier were non-starters when Philadelphia was trying to trade for Weber. They aren't going to trade them for Luongo no matter how many Ballards, Raymonds and Schroeders are thrown in.

How about:

Luongo
Raymond x1000
Ballard x1000
Schroeder x1000

for

Couturier
Schenn
Bryzgalov
Coupon for a free Philly Cheese steak sandwich

What do you think future GMMG?

zackass.png

#12 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

You think Couturier can make Kesler expendable? Maybe a few years down the road but not anytime soon.

From Hockey's Future:

Umm did you see him last playoffs? #1 shutdown guy as a rookie.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#13 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

Luongo probably wouldn't do it, but Schneider would. I'd rather have Luongo and Couturier than Schneider and Luongo on our team. Besides, they have Giroux now and Couturier will want to become a #1 center within 5 seasons, by when he will replace Henrik and Kesler, but not Giroux.

Schneider for Couturier and Leighton. Then we see this going into the playoffs (by this time Couturier will have developed a lot more, Kesler will be banged up and slowed down by surgeries)...

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Couturier - Higgins
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Lapierre

That's unreal depth right there, most importantly we now have 5 NHL centers. LA won the Cup with 6, Boston won it with 7 in their lineup and Chicago with around 5 or 6. It's no surprise that depth at center is a key to winning Cups, the wingers are all exchangeable.
Posted Image

#14 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Umm did you see him last playoffs? #1 shutdown guy as a rookie.

Pretty much this.. J.Staal 2.0

Oh ok...thanks. Didn't really see him play last playoffs. So he'd be our second line centre until Kes got back, then drop to our third line and move up once Hank retires or Kes moves on. Perfect.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#15 swflyers28

swflyers28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Coots isn't going anywhere. Sorry. ;)
Posted Image

#16 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Adding Couturier doesn't mean you should get rid of Kes. If anything, I think Kesler should be moved to the wing. The guy has a mentality of a winger, always shoot first.

#17 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,366 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Everyone's speculating that it will be Couturier moved.

I think it will be Brayden Schenn.

Philly's lines as of today at practice:

Giroux
Couturier
Laughton
Schenn

They obviously see Couturier as a better option in the top 6, Laughton clearly has a great career ahead of him as a solid 3rd line center.

Subbancopy.jpg

#18 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

good plan but not good trade

#19 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Everyone's speculating that it will be Couturier moved.

I think it will be Brayden Schenn.

Philly's lines as of today at practice:

Giroux
Couturier
Laughton
Schenn

They obviously see Couturier as a better option in the top 6, Laughton clearly has a great career ahead of him as a solid 3rd line center.

Luongo + D man + prospect + pick for both Schenns?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#20 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think if we got Couturier or Schenn, they should move into the top 6 and solidify it, rather than putting them into the bottom 6 where they won't develope as much but will add more depth.

Our weakness is our 2nd line, not our bottom 6 scoring. We have enough bottom 6 scoring in Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, and now maybe Schroeder/Kassian.

A top 9 of.....

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Couturier-Kesler
Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian

.....would be DEADLY

Edited by Zoolander, 22 January 2013 - 04:38 PM.

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#21 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think if we got Couturier or Schenn, they should move into the top 6 and solidify it, rather than putting them into the bottom 6 where they won't develope as much but will add more depth.

Our weakness is our 2nd line, not our bottom 6 scoring. We have enough bottom 6 scoring in Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, and now maybe Schroeder/Kassian.

A top 9 of.....

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Couturier-Kesler
Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian

.....would be DEADLY

Agreed

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I'm talking if Couturier puts up 35ish points or something this season, Kesler can become expendable.

Also, I'm basing this proposal off the Gillis interview of the possible player no one expected. Just speculation.

Doesn't matter how many points any other player gets, Kesler will not be expendable since he could be put on the wing. The only thing that could do that is if he never fully recovers to form.

Yes Couturier could be that mystery player, but we can definitely keep both him and Kes if we got him.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.