The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sean Couturier

With all this talk of the Canucks possibly acquiring Couturier in a trade based around Luongo, I think this is the best option for the Canucks. First of all, it fits Gillis' goal of getting younger AND bigger. If he has a good season, Kesler can become expendable, meaning we could upgrade our top 6 or on defence. The guy's 6'3, 200 and I think he can become a fan favourite and a genuine leader for when the Sedins retire. It may sound like a long shot, but I truly think that Gillis can make some magic happen and acquire this guy. Imagine the lines:

S-S-B

Booth-Couturier-(Insert top 6 RW)

Higgins-Schroeder-Kassasin

Plug-Lapps-Plug

Then when the Sedins retire:

(Insert LW)-Couturier-Jensen

Booth-Schroeder/Gaunce-Kassian

Archibald-Schroeder/Gaunce-Grenier

Plug-Mallet/Labate-Plug

You think Couturier can make Kesler expendable? Maybe a few years down the road but not anytime soon.

Why are people all in a lather about this kid? He's an average skater and not overly physical. Seems like he'll be a good NHL player at some point but CDC'rs are making him out to be the second coming.

From Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis

A combination of size and skill, Couturier is a solid and safe contributor at both ends of the ice. Perhaps his on-ice vision is his greatest asset, with a knack for finding an open teammate and threading a pass across the rink. Although he needs to continue to add strength to his frame and he is not known for being a punishing physical player, he uses his body well to protect the puck and make a play. Compared to the rest of the package, his skating is only average with the first few steps needing some extra work.

Future

Couturier will attend Flyers camp with his sights set on securing a roster spot in 2011-12 but with the Flyers' depth at forward, particularly at the center position, he may be headed back to Drummondville for one more season of juniors. Should he return to juniors, Couturier would likely once again play for Canada's entry in the 2012 World Junior U-20 championships. One of the players in consideration for the first overall pick headed into the 2011 NHL Draft, Couturier projects to being a top level two-way forward and a gifted offensive player that makes those around him better. While Flyers fans may have to wait until 2012-13 to see him at the NHL level, he should be a fixture in the Philadelphia lineup once he arrives.

You think Couturier can make Kesler expendable? Maybe a few years down the road but not anytime soon.

Why are people all in a lather about this kid? He's an average skater and not overly physical. Seems like he'll be a good NHL player at some point but CDC'rs are making him out to be the second coming.

From Hockey's Future:

Luongo probably wouldn't do it, but Schneider would. I'd rather have Luongo and Couturier than Schneider and Luongo on our team. Besides, they have Giroux now and Couturier will want to become a #1 center within 5 seasons, by when he will replace Henrik and Kesler, but not Giroux.

Schneider for Couturier and Leighton. Then we see this going into the playoffs (by this time Couturier will have developed a lot more, Kesler will be banged up and slowed down by surgeries)...

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Couturier - Higgins

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Lapierre

That's unreal depth right there, most importantly we now have 5 NHL centers. LA won the Cup with 6, Boston won it with 7 in their lineup and Chicago with around 5 or 6. It's no surprise that depth at center is a key to winning Cups, the wingers are all exchangeable.

Everyone's speculating that it will be Couturier moved.

I think it will be Brayden Schenn.

Philly's lines as of today at practice:

Giroux

Couturier

Laughton

Schenn

They obviously see Couturier as a better option in the top 6, Laughton clearly has a great career ahead of him as a solid 3rd line center.

Everyone's speculating that it will be Couturier moved.

I think it will be Brayden Schenn.

Philly's lines as of today at practice:

Giroux

Couturier

Laughton

Schenn

They obviously see Couturier as a better option in the top 6, Laughton clearly has a great career ahead of him as a solid 3rd line center.

I think if we got Couturier or Schenn, they should move into the top 6 and solidify it, rather than putting them into the bottom 6 where they won't develope as much but will add more depth.

Our weakness is our 2nd line, not our bottom 6 scoring. We have enough bottom 6 scoring in Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, and now maybe Schroeder/Kassian.

A top 9 of.....

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Couturier-Kesler

Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian

.....would be DEADLY

Archived