The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elementary my dear Watson.... A little trivia

nuck luck

I was hoping to try something a little different and bring the minds of CDC together to try and figure out the riddle in the middle.....

It's easy for any of us to claim or denounce any trade rumors...we all do it and we all have been blindsided by previous trades. I hate reading people's posts on impossible trade scenarios so this might edumacate me and others....If we analyze it a little further ...we might have a pretty solid hypothesis?

I can't say I follow every team closely and there's a lot more people on CDC who follow the NHL a lot closer than I do.... I think (together) we might be able to deduce who the potential team could be?

Gillis gave us a tasty little morsel recently:

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Let's try and figure out the scenarios:

1) He is talking about another team trying to trade, buyout or deal with one of their goalies to make room for Lou. So, I would deduce that this has got to be a goalie who is not performing with a high cap. A goalie that we wouldn't want as a backup. A goalie that they are 'hoping' will turn things around....if not, the "wait" is over.

I'm still thinking it's the Flyers...but NYR & Detroit are another possibility! There are plenty of players on these teams that I would love to see on our second line... One thing with Philly and Detroit, they are in desperate need of puck moving D-men! They could kill two birds with one trade if they dealt with us....Lou & Ballard :) Everybody has been thinking about the Flyers so it wouldn't be a surprise... I had never thought about Detroit and NYR, this would surprise me.

2) Another team is trying to dump salary for Lou and it's not a goalie.... Which teams have an abundance of forwards?

3) Which teams have a current RFA that they are having difficulties signing?

4) Which teams will have serious cap issues next year and will be forced to trade, buyout or lose players because of it?

5) Which teams have rookie forwards that are playing great and would be able to replace their top 6? The team could be waiting to see if that rookie is the real thing before they make a move...

6) Which team has a top 6 out or that just returned from IR? Maybe they had a replacement for him that is no longer needed because the injured player is 100%?

7) Any other scenarios? Because Gillis said "that they have...", I'm assuming that he's already playing on that team.

Out of all the teams that could fit the bill in the above scenarios....which team's goalie is not performing or retiring soon? Who needs an upgrade? and couple this with, which of these teams have an abundance of forwards?

Rangers and Red Wings? C'mon now...

He also says " - and it's not who anybody thinks it is - " yet there have been Philly rumours floating around for a week. Why then would it be Philly? And why couldn't you just post this in the pinned Luongo Trade Discussion thread?

I think this option is intriguing:

"3) Which teams have a current RFA that they are having difficulties signing?"

This makes me think of Colorado and their attempts to re-sign Ryan O'Reilly, who they obviously want back pretty bad. Once they re-sign him they have Stastny - Duchene - O'Reilly.

My guess is if Colorado could only have only 2 of the 3 Stastny is the odd man out (and he carries a cap hit of 6.6). Could we see Colorado take Luongo as an upgrade on Varlamov who is an RFA after the 2013/14 season? If they feel they can move him somewhere at a later date then Luongo might have some appeal to them.

Maybe this leads to Stastny coming to Vancouver in a deal? The obvious problem is that his cap hit may make this unrealistic after this season when the cap decreases... Unless this turnover MG has mentioned brings our cap down significantly:

Edit: MG also said its someone no one is talking about, I don't think anyone's talking about the Avs? Also, being a division rival may make this undesirable on second thought...

Pass it to Bulis@passittobulis

"Next year I think we’ll have more turnover, because the cap changes & we have younger players we feel will be ready to make the step." --MG

I was hoping to try something a little different and bring the minds of CDC together to try and figure out the riddle in the middle.....

It's easy for any of us to claim or denounce any trade rumors...we all do it and we all have been blindsided by previous trades. I hate reading people's posts on impossible trade scenarios so this might edumacate me and others....If we analyze it a little further ...we might have a pretty solid hypothesis?

I can't say I follow every team closely and there's a lot more people on CDC who follow the NHL a lot closer than I do.... I think (together) we might be able to deduce who the potential team could be?

Gillis gave us a tasty little morsel recently:

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Let's try and figure out the scenarios:

1) He is talking about another team trying to trade, buyout or deal with one of their goalies to make room for Lou. So, I would deduce that this has got to be a goalie who is not performing with a high cap. A goalie that we wouldn't want as a backup. A goalie that they are 'hoping' will turn things around....if not, the "wait" is over.

I'm still thinking it's the Flyers...but NYR & Detroit are another possibility! There are plenty of players on these teams that I would love to see on our second line... One thing with Philly and Detroit, they are in desperate need of puck moving D-men! They could kill two birds with one trade if they dealt with us....Lou & Ballard :) Everybody has been thinking about the Flyers so it wouldn't be a surprise... I had never thought about Detroit and NYR, this would surprise me.

2) Another team is trying to dump salary for Lou and it's not a goalie.... Which teams have an abundance of forwards?

3) Which teams have a current RFA that they are having difficulties signing?

4) Which teams will have serious cap issues next year and will be forced to trade, buyout or lose players because of it?

5) Which teams have rookie forwards that are playing great and would be able to replace their top 6? The team could be waiting to see if that rookie is the real thing before they make a move...

6) Which team has a top 6 out or that just returned from IR? Maybe they had a replacement for him that is no longer needed because the injured player is 100%?

7) Any other scenarios? Because Gillis said "that they have...", I'm assuming that he's already playing on that team.

Out of all the teams that could fit the bill in the above scenarios....which team's goalie is not performing or retiring soon? Who needs an upgrade? and couple this with, which of these teams have an abundance of forwards?

Rangers and Red Wings? C'mon now...

He also says " - and it's not who anybody thinks it is - " yet there have been Philly rumours floating around for a week. Why then would it be Philly? And why couldn't you just post this in the pinned Luongo Trade Discussion thread?

I think this option is intriguing:

"3) Which teams have a current RFA that they are having difficulties signing?"

This makes me think of Colorado and their attempts to re-sign Ryan O'Reilly, who they obviously want back pretty bad. Once they re-sign him they have Stastny - Duchene - O'Reilly.

My guess is if Colorado could only have only 2 of the 3 Stastny is the odd man out (and he carries a cap hit of 6.6). Could we see Colorado take Luongo as an upgrade on Varlamov who is an RFA after the 2013/14 season? If they feel they can move him somewhere at a later date then Luongo might have some appeal to them.

Maybe this leads to Stastny coming to Vancouver in a deal? The obvious problem is that his cap hit may make this unrealistic after this season when the cap decreases... Unless this turnover MG has mentioned brings our cap down significantly:

Edit: MG also said its someone no one is talking about, I don't think anyone's talking about the Avs? Also, being a division rival may make this undesirable on second thought...

Pass it to Bulis@passittobulis

"Next year I think we’ll have more turnover, because the cap changes & we have younger players we feel will be ready to make the step." --MG

Archived