The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New lines at Practice

-Vintage Canuck-

It was comical seeing Weise fall all over the place but the guy did have a good game. It seems like he gained a lot of speed over the off-season and he doesn't know how to control it yet. I'd rather have a guy who skates fast and falls on occasion than some guy who skates super slow and never falls.

I don't think Weise is a second line player but hopefully he plays well there.

is anybody else a little confused about Schroeder call-up/deciding to go with Ebbett to start the year? If they were really this close to slotting Schroeder in the starting lineup, why not just start the season with him in the first place? he's a first round pick, why continuously delay his NHL debut if he's clearly ready to go? i just don't get the point of sending him down and calling him back up 2 games in, is there a salary cap issue I'm missing ??

is anybody else a little confused about Schroeder call-up/deciding to go with Ebbett to start the year? If they were really this close to slotting Schroeder in the starting lineup, why not just start the season with him in the first place? he's a first round pick, why continuously delay his NHL debut if he's clearly ready to go? i just don't get the point of sending him down and calling him back up 2 games in, is there a salary cap issue I'm missing ??

The only thing I am marginally surprised about is that Raymond is on the 2nd and not Burrows, Weise earned a look (atleast in practice) I guess AV thinks there is some chemistry with Ray and Schroeds from what he saw in the scrimmage, so we will see.

I wouldn't put a ton into it though, I don't think it means alot when they have experiments like this in practice the day before a game.

The Dale Weise highlights by Sportsnet in the game against Edmonton made me laugh so hard. This is obviously a move to ignite Burrows and Lapierre a little bit more, while giving Kassian some points for his passionate play. Although it's temporary, I'd love to see Weise score a couple and show off some celebrations he's been working on abroad

Ugh, Weise on the 2nd line? Why does AV have to do this? Why have two of your more capable offensive wingers playing with Lapierre when you can put a guy like Burrows with Schroeder? Wouldn't it make sense to pair your offensively talented prospect with a good NHL scorer?

I realize the team has injuries but I think it would also be prudent to structure your lines in a way that gives the team the best offensive potential. Basically, put your offensive guys in the top 6, let them take care of the scoring and put the rest in the bottom 6. It's not like the rest of the bottom 6 guys aren't reliable defensively, either.

I would like to see:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

If the Raymond-Schroeder chemistry isn't translating at the next level, demote Raymond and promote either Higgins or Hansen. Ultimately, we have to hope that Schroeder is flat out good enough to create offense himself. The Canucks just don't have adequate options right now for players that can ignite Schroeder. It's actually the other way around. Schroeder seems to be the best bet to ignite some of the Canucks' tweeners while two thirds of their 2nd line is out (Kesler, Booth), based solely on the fact he has more natural talent than many of the guys on the roster right now.

Should be

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Weise Schroeder Burrows

Volpatti Malhotra Ebbett

1st line builds on the assumption Kassian can be a 1st line 40 goal scorer

2nd line is our post Kesler injury 3rd line, may as well get it some practice.

3rd line is 2 wingers that can speed through defenders for easy breakaways, while fore checking hard, probbaly best to give this line our top 2 d lines from time to time.

4th line is Volpatti with two plugs that I feel are better than Raymond.

Archived