The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Government ads during hockey games

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

What is with these commercials, the ones with the dominoes? Is B.C. now the only place in North America with a functioning economy? I must have missed that memo cause it seems like we're still in pretty bad shape to me. Why are they spamming our hockey games with this garbage?

Are they gonna have ads about how our Premier is unelected, or about how the legislature never sits and none of the province's business has been done in years? Are they going to talk about any major policy programs this government has brought in? That might be a bit too tall an order.

What's more, I've heard rumours that these ads are being bought and produced with taxpayer money. Personally I'd prefer my tax money go to pay for Budget Brake and Muffler commercials, those make me nostalgic for the 80s when I didn't have a tv and had to listen to the games on the radio, the song remains the same!

I don't need this political muck wrecking my hockey-viewing experience by reminding me how incompetent and corrupt our government is and how dismal this coming election is gonna be. Between the NDP and these clowns, I'd rather vote for some random crackhead off the street. So thanks to the big ol marketing department for constantly putting me in a bad mood, I guess.

What is with these commercials, the ones with the dominoes? Is B.C. now the only place in North America with a functioning economy? I must have missed that memo cause it seems like we're still in pretty bad shape to me. Why are they spamming our hockey games with this garbage?

Are they gonna have ads about how our Premier is unelected, or about how the legislature never sits and none of the province's business has been done in years? Are they going to talk about any major policy programs this government has brought in? That might be a bit too tall an order.

What's more, I've heard rumours that these ads are being bought and produced with taxpayer money. Personally I'd prefer my tax money go to pay for Budget Brake and Muffler commercials, those make me nostalgic for the 80s when I didn't have a tv and had to listen to the games on the radio, the song remains the same!

I don't need this political muck wrecking my hockey-viewing experience by reminding me how incompetent and corrupt our government is and how dismal this coming election is gonna be. Between the NDP and these clowns, I'd rather vote for some random crackhead off the street. So thanks to the big ol marketing department for constantly putting me in a bad mood, I guess.

It's politics, nothing new, and nothing specific to BC... happens in every province, federally, pretty much any major election anywhere. It's underhanded but hey, that's how they like doing business. If someone who doesn't have a preference/doesn't care about the election, a few propaganda/attack ads could tilt you one way in the direction of a 'lesser of two evils'. I still doubt it'll make a difference for the Liberals though, their time in this province is up for a few years.

Doesn't matter this Province has had the worst people elected for decades. It's just which lunatic do you want to run the asylum?

The sad part is the rest of us in the province don't demand better of our supposedly democratically elected leaders.

Accountablity? Ha!

Corruption? All sides.

Stupidity? Absolutely

Lack of direction? Of course.

Selling out our province and resources? Part and parcel of government agendas.

It is sick though that the government can waste taxpayer dollars on propaganda. Then then that's what government is best at isn't it? Waste.

C'mon now you know what I mean. You can't seriously claim that a party leader taking their party into the election and winning is the same thing as when the convention happens with the party already in power and the new leader wins a by-election. It is absolutely not the same thing, the voters of B.C. have never elected a Christy Clark Liberal government, it's just like with Dosanjh, and Miller or whatever his name was, and the one who took over for Vanderzalm. Their position as Premier is not as legitimate, democratically, as a leader who goes through the election themselves; the people have not yet had their say.

C'mon now you know what I mean. You can't seriously claim that a party leader taking their party into the election and winning is the same thing as when the convention happens with the party already in power and the new leader wins a by-election. It is absolutely not the same thing, the voters of B.C. have never elected a Christy Clark Liberal government, it's just like with Dosanjh, and Miller or whatever his name was, and the one who took over for Vanderzalm. Their position as Premier is not as legitimate, democratically, as a leader who goes through the election themselves; the people have not yet had their say.

Propaganda from non publicly elected officials using taxpayer money. BC politics is a ???? joke, the butt of Canada. The government is starting to realize that there is a mass exodus of skilled young people (18-40) leaving BC for alberta and saskatchewan. Come up here to Northern Alberta and you'll meet jusy as many canuck fan bc boys as oilers fans (no one I have encountered will admit to be being a flame fan).

I am disgusted and dis illusioned with the way BC is run and sold out from underneath us. Add in all the ridiculous beuacracy,red tape, fees u[pon feesupon taxes upon fees and you have someone who employed up to 15 people in BC 3 years ago, now I am more than happy to send my tax money to the Alberta gov't and use my skills in a province that won't try to screw me and grind me down every step of the way. The Libs know I am not the only one and they are scared.

That's what's up with those adds you are seeing.

I would encourage everyone else who feels remotely the same as me to pack it up in BC and head out to one of the neighbouring provinces. Lot's of jobs, cheaper living, lots of opportunity and you don't have to risk going to jail to earn an honest living, unlike BC, the original shamocracy ???? joke.

Good day, sirs/

I apprehend our system of government just fine. I'm not saying the government isn't lawful and legitimate. Of course it is, this is how things work, by the examples I gave it's obvious I acknowledge that this is the way the westminster system functions. My point was that this government with this leader has not been voted on in a general election. That's just a fact. And the mandate of a government in that situation is not as strong as the alternative. Both are equally legal and constitutional, of course. But informally, the one situation is less democratic than the other.

Archived