The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Government ads during hockey games

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

You wrote yourself in one of the posts above that leaders in this situation "have not secured the mandate of the ... public to lead the country [or province]." That is all that I have been saying. I never claimed or tried to claim that this was in any way unconstitutional or illegal or not legitimate, or against convention, or anything like that. If I had said that, it would have been incorrect and I acknowledge that, but that's not what I was arguing. I was arguing, like you said, that this government under this leader does not have the same sort of mandate that, for instance, the Liberals under Campbell did. To say that's not relevant...it's relevant to me as a voter. I'm sure it's relevant to other voters. That makes it relevant politically even if it would not be relevant legally.

And my answer is so what if there is no mandate? This is not a presidential system and to import biases from that system leads to a fundamental misunderstanding of our system and how it operates. As has been pointed out in the Westminster system historically this is more the rule than the exception. Reality bites.

It may be relevant to those uninformed voters who do not understand our system but so what?

Elections BC is independent but it has no jurisdiction over this sort of advertising and we are not in any time periods covered by the Elections Act.

That is why Dix has proposed legislation because there is no prohibition. He proposes having the Auditor General review government informational advertising.

In their first legislative session, Mr. Dix said a B.C. NDP government would pass legislation granting the Auditor-General the power to review and approve government-produced advertising, with orders to ban advertising featuring a cabinet minister or fostering a negative view of government critics and disallow non-essential government advertising in the pre-writ period.

“If an ad can’t meet this test, the government shouldn’t be running it,” said Mr. Dix.

At a scrum with reporters earlier in the day, Premier Christy Clark of the B.C. Liberal Party ruled out changes to ad policy and declined comment on the NDP policy.

http://www.theglobea...article7635855/

What does it have to do with the presidential system? This situation would never come up in a presidential system, they have a succession protocol to take care of situations where a sitting leader is forced to step down or otherwise incapacitated. They didn't have a whole new convention when Nixon resigned. For someone to say, Ford is not as legitimate as Nixon because we never voted for him is ridiculous, because they did - he was on the ticket. So how am I importing biases?

On the other hand, Christy Clark was not even in politics last time we had an election. If Falcon or Abbott had won the convention I would feel he had more of a mandate because he was at least involved in that election and ran as an MLA and prominent Cabinet Minister. The Premier was running a radio show! And it's not that I'm biased against radio, I voted for Robin Adair. That's just something that I as a voter feel, and I don't think it makes me in any way ignorant or uninformed to feel that way.

I wonder if hiring Ted Simonett ( the Canadian Tire Guy ) as the pitchman for the provincial government's pre-election 'good news' campaign would help prime the electorate for another good rogering at the ballot box. This guy did help move a few million tons of useless Canadian Tire crap, wouldn't be surprised if he could persuade a few rubes to vote for Cristy Clark.

What have they got to lose at this point eh.

I mean, who wouldn't trust this man ??!!!

canadiantireguy_zpsa6c6a2d4.jpg

Elections BC is independent but it has no jurisdiction over this sort of advertising and we are not in any time periods covered by the Elections Act.

That is why Dix has proposed legislation because there is no prohibition. He proposes having the Auditor General review government informational advertising.

In their first legislative session, Mr. Dix said a B.C. NDP government would pass legislation granting the Auditor-General the power to review and approve government-produced advertising, with orders to ban advertising featuring a cabinet minister or fostering a negative view of government critics and disallow non-essential government advertising in the pre-writ period.

“If an ad can’t meet this test, the government shouldn’t be running it,” said Mr. Dix.

At a scrum with reporters earlier in the day, Premier Christy Clark of the B.C. Liberal Party ruled out changes to ad policy and declined comment on the NDP policy.

http://www.theglobea...article7635855/

Archived