Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

What is civilizations silliest affectations?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

My vote would go to the neck tie. To hang something around your neck with a slip knot is silly. Does anybody know the history of such a silly accoutrement?
Discuss.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#2 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

My vote would go to those Slap bracelets they used to sell back in the 90's....what the hell was up with those things man...they had them in nearly every convenience store and supermarket you went to...and they got so popular that the schools around here banned them...

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 22 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#3 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,911 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

"What is civilizations silliest affectations?"

...the irony is strong in this one.

Edited by D-Money, 22 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Random annoying behaviours:

- Lifting your pinkie while sipping your tea. I'll slap off your powdered wig, pompous freak.

- Pretending to talk to someone important about something important on your bluetooth when you're standing in line to do something incredibly unimportant, like buying another Tim Horton's-fueled enema. Nobody thinks that anyone at all wants to talk to you, let lone somebody important. Don't forget your apple fritter, Steve Jobs!

- Women that strain to avoid eye contact in public at all costs. Despite what your mom might have told you, A: Not every brief eye contact incident sends out a message that you want to automatically sleep with the stranger you inadvertently just made eye contact with. B: Not everyone is stalking you. And C: You're not that hot anyway.

- Loudly accelerating uphill in traffic with your gas-guzzling, out-of-tune pickup truck. Ease off, douchebag. Your truck is garbage. Loud garbage, but it's still garbage.
Posted Image

#5 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

circumcision, wedding rings, and open casket funerals are all things that will be looked back upon strangely by future generations, i think.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#6 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

The sense of freedom, yet we really aren't free.
Posted Image

#7 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Religion

#8 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Double post awesomeness.

Edited by Remy, 22 January 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#9 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

This is only semi-related, but I had a discussion today with someone about this and it still seems like something odd society does that I do not understand.

What is wrong with going to the movies alone? You sit in a dark room for 2 hours, face a screen, and don't talk to anyone. There is nothing social about it. So why is there this great stigma about going alone? It doesn't make any sense to me.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#10 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

This is only semi-related, but I had a discussion today with someone about this and it still seems like something odd society does that I do not understand.

What is wrong with going to the movies alone? You sit in a dark room for 2 hours, face a screen, and don't talk to anyone. There is nothing social about it. So why is there this great stigma about going alone? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, technically you're never alone in a theatre.

And i don't mean the other people you don't know. I mean me. I am stalking you.
Posted Image

#11 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Well, technically you're never alone in a theatre.

And i don't mean the other people you don't know. I mean me. I am stalking you.

Neat.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#12 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

"What is civilizations silliest affectations?"

...the irony is strong in this one.

Thanks! I think. Compasses are pretty much useless around me.

Edited by canucks since 77, 22 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

Politeness is the first step to respect!

#13 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,425 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

My vote would go to the neck tie. To hang something around your neck with a slip knot is silly. Does anybody know the history of such a silly accoutrement?
Discuss.

You pick the necktie while failing to mention that it points directly at your crotch?

Religion

I'd argue it's not silly at all. Not enough whimsy regarding that subject for my liking.

/ I think I'd go with our ongoing belief in our own ego.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#14 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Cats and dogs.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#15 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Affectation (n): the act of taking on or displaying an attitude or mode of behavior not natural to oneself or not genuinely felt

seriously, first thing that came to mind was band-wagoners.
If you're not a genuine hockey fan don't act like you are, we can tell. Sure, it's good that you try to genuinely take an interest in the game or if you just want to watch with me then that's cool too, but if it's just to criticize Lu just to fit in with the anti-Lu movement when you haven't even seen him play then who are you to shoot him down?

Also, OP I actually agree with you. I get the whole collared shirt thing but the tie sometimes looks out of place esp. if it's too short relative to the person (but it brings about some funny results :bigblush:)

Another one would be Instagram and people who document everything they see and eat on it. Just because it's got effects doesn't necessarily make it image if it's something ordinary photographed ordinarily.

Edited by g@m3b0i, 22 January 2013 - 11:07 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#16 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Pet Rocks and Justin Beiber.

Oh and the Maple leafs.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Phones and Internet.

People spend way too much time online and are too dependant on it now. I would absolutely love to see the nerd rage if it was shut down that would be epic lol. I would be just fine without it I was fine before it.

Phones are downright anoying also. Just as a person spends way too much time with their face packed in front of a computer screen the phone is the same. Sometimes I look around and everyone just looks the same. Zombified.

I always give my friends a hard time and specially at the gym. If you go to the gym leave your phone in the damn locker. Try to enjoy life a little folks.

Edited by Special Ed, 22 January 2013 - 11:10 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#18 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Posted Image

Merkins

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#19 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

The sense of freedom, yet we really aren't free.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose....
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#20 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,677 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Killing each other.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#21 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

You pick the necktie while failing to mention that it points directly at your crotch?

I'd argue it's not silly at all. Not enough whimsy regarding that subject for my liking.

Not enough whimsy? Really? Let's see...first we've got an all perfect, all knowing, all everything unseen unseeable deity purportedly creating the entirety of the universe, human flesh and bones from the soil of this planet, in SEVEN DAYS...then we've got the story of the talking snake...then we've got stories of these men living to be 900 years old, then we've got the story of the guy who lost all of his strength after his HAIR was cut off...then we've got the story of the man living inside the whale...oh I'm sorry literalists.."big fish" whoopde doo on the difference there...then you've got the stories of raising the dead, the loaves and fishes, all the other so called "miracles". You claim there's not enough whimsy in religion? If it weren't for the POISONOUS aspect of it as it stands now, it'd likely made a series of very successful fiction short stories. As I continue to think that's precisely what they are, there is whimsy abound my friend. At least for those who are intelligent enough to realize that it isn't real. Any of it.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 23 January 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Posted Image

#22 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Definitely.

[For example, see post #21.]
Posted Image

#23 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Definitely.

[For example, see post #21.]

And what's yours an example of? By calling out my ego, you're stroking your own. Hypocrisy much?
Posted Image

#24 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Using religion to control others.

#controversy
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#25 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

structure and time management
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#26 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,677 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Phones and Internet.

People spend way too much time online and are too dependant on it now. I would absolutely love to see the nerd rage if it was shut down that would be epic lol. I would be just fine without it I was fine before it.

Phones are downright anoying also. Just as a person spends way too much time with their face packed in front of a computer screen the phone is the same. Sometimes I look around and everyone just looks the same. Zombified.

I always give my friends a hard time and specially at the gym. If you go to the gym leave your phone in the damn locker. Try to enjoy life a little folks.

Try this the next time you go out for dinner with friends.
Everyone has to put their phones on the table.
First person who grabs their phone before the bill arrives, pays the bill.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#27 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

And what's yours an example of? By calling out my ego, you're stroking your own. Hypocrisy much?

I didn't go on a long-winded tirade explaining how foolish the cherished beliefs of the majority of the planet are.

But I guess I'm not the one who figured it all out, and you are. Congratulations!
Posted Image

#28 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Killing each other.

and not eating the remains. How wasteful is that?

#29 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I didn't go on a long-winded tirade explaining how foolish the cherished beliefs of the majority of the planet are.

But I guess I'm not the one who figured it all out, and you are. Congratulations!

"cherished beliefs of the majority of the planet" what a crock...LOL...what an absolute crock.
Posted Image

#30 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hipsters, also known as douche bags.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.