The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is civilizations silliest affectations?

canucks since 77

Random annoying behaviours:

- Lifting your pinkie while sipping your tea. I'll slap off your powdered wig, pompous freak.

- Pretending to talk to someone important about something important on your bluetooth when you're standing in line to do something incredibly unimportant, like buying another Tim Horton's-fueled enema. Nobody thinks that anyone at all wants to talk to you, let lone somebody important. Don't forget your apple fritter, Steve Jobs!

- Women that strain to avoid eye contact in public at all costs. Despite what your mom might have told you, A: Not every brief eye contact incident sends out a message that you want to automatically sleep with the stranger you inadvertently just made eye contact with. B: Not everyone is stalking you. And C: You're not that hot anyway.

- Loudly accelerating uphill in traffic with your gas-guzzling, out-of-tune pickup truck. Ease off, douchebag. Your truck is garbage. Loud garbage, but it's still garbage.

This is only semi-related, but I had a discussion today with someone about this and it still seems like something odd society does that I do not understand.

What is wrong with going to the movies alone? You sit in a dark room for 2 hours, face a screen, and don't talk to anyone. There is nothing social about it. So why is there this great stigma about going alone? It doesn't make any sense to me.

This is only semi-related, but I had a discussion today with someone about this and it still seems like something odd society does that I do not understand.

What is wrong with going to the movies alone? You sit in a dark room for 2 hours, face a screen, and don't talk to anyone. There is nothing social about it. So why is there this great stigma about going alone? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Affectation (n): the act of taking on or displaying an attitude or mode of behavior not natural to oneself or not genuinely felt

seriously, first thing that came to mind was band-wagoners.

If you're not a genuine hockey fan don't act like you are, we can tell. Sure, it's good that you try to genuinely take an interest in the game or if you just want to watch with me then that's cool too, but if it's just to criticize Lu just to fit in with the anti-Lu movement when you haven't even seen him play then who are you to shoot him down?

Also, OP I actually agree with you. I get the whole collared shirt thing but the tie sometimes looks out of place esp. if it's too short relative to the person (but it brings about some funny results :bigblush:)

Another one would be Instagram and people who document everything they see and eat on it. Just because it's got effects doesn't necessarily make it image if it's something ordinary photographed ordinarily.

Phones and Internet.

People spend way too much time online and are too dependant on it now. I would absolutely love to see the nerd rage if it was shut down that would be epic lol. I would be just fine without it I was fine before it.

Phones are downright anoying also. Just as a person spends way too much time with their face packed in front of a computer screen the phone is the same. Sometimes I look around and everyone just looks the same. Zombified.

I always give my friends a hard time and specially at the gym. If you go to the gym leave your phone in the damn locker. Try to enjoy life a little folks.

Archived