The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is civilizations silliest affectations?

canucks since 77

Ok...how many "false" Christians make themselves a nuisance (WBC, etc) while hiding behind bible verses et al...displaying an attitude or mode of behavior (self-righteousness) not natural (hopefully) to oneself or not genuinely felt? I hear people yakking ALL THE TIME about how a "true christian" would never act like that (insert scenario here, whether it be claiming god told them to murder their kids, picketing funerals, holding homophobic signs, etc) so the "false" christians are almost certainly guilty of an "affectation".

To expand on the ego thing, I think the idea that we matter or are at all relevant in the grand scheme of things is silly. We're hairless apes on a mote of dust whirling through the vast great nothingness. Nothing we ever can or ever will do truly matters in the grand scheme of things. When we die, all that is left is our memory, and shortly after even that will fade. Yet we delude ourselves into thinking we're important. We're some bigshot because we have a big house or a fancy car. We're important because we hold some title in some organization. We matter because lots of people know our name.

Still, I can see why people believe it. The realization that your entire life is irrelevant is depressing, to say the least.

To expand on the ego thing, I think the idea that we matter or are at all relevant in the grand scheme of things is silly. We're hairless apes on a mote of dust whirling through the vast great nothingness. Nothing we ever can or ever will do truly matters in the grand scheme of things. When we die, all that is left is our memory, and shortly after even that will fade. Yet we delude ourselves into thinking we're important. We're some bigshot because we have a big house or a fancy car. We're important because we hold some title in some organization. We matter because lots of people know our name.

Still, I can see why people believe it. The realization that your entire life is irrelevant is depressing, to say the least.

Archived