• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TheVancouverCanucks!_*

Guest_TheVancouverCanucks!_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Vancouver Canucks 2013 Evaluation

Overview:

This is the official Vancouver Canucks 2013 Evaluation. I have been really busy lately, but I am going to try my best to update this evaluation every two weeks until the end of this years playoffs. Hopefully, some of you can give me tips on how to make these evaluations better and be sure to point out any mistakes or errors in my posts and I'll be happy to make the necessary changes.

Vancouver Canucks Franchise:

The Vancouver Canucks have been one of the best teams in the league since the past two years and they have made a respectable name for themselves among many hardcore NHL fans. They have managed to win back to back President's Trophies and are looking to make their 26th trip to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. However, they are still in search for their first Stanley Cup!

The team has undergone quite a few changes in respect to their roster since the playoffs series against the Boston Bruins. Mikael Samuelsson, Raffi Torres, Cody Hodgson, Aaron Volpatti, Christian Ehrhoff, Sami Salo, Aaron Rome, and Kevin Connauton have all left the Canucks organization while Derek Roy, David Booth, Zack Kassian, Dale Weise, Tom Sestito, Jason Garrison, Cam Barker, Jim Vandermeer, and Derek Joslin have all been acquired recently.

The Vancouver Canucks also have top class prospects developing either in the AHL or the OHL. Some of these prospects include Jordan Schroeder, Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, Frankie Corrado, Derek Joslin, and Eddie Lack. Jordan Schroeder, Nicklas Jensen and Derek Joslin have all played in the NHL before but still have a lot to improve on. All in all, this is a world class talented team who is bound to win the Stanley Cup sooner than later; maybe even this season!

Healthy Projected Lineups:

Note: This is an accurate and logical projection of the possible lineups that can be used by Alain Vigneault in the future. This is not my proposal and this projection will not entirely be correct. However, it will be pretty accurate because I have taken a look at previous combinations used by Alain Vigneault with respect to what type of role each player has on the team and what position they are capable of playing. Post any recommendations/edits you might have below and be sure to give a logical reason for the change.

Completely Healthy Lineup:

Offense Line 1: Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexandre Burrows
Offense Line 2: Christopher Higgins - Ryan Kesler - David Booth
Offense Line 3: Mason Raymond - Derek Roy - Jannik Hansen
Offense Line 4: Dale Weise - Maxim Lapierre - Zack Kassian

Defense Line 1: Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison
Defense Line 2: Alexander Edler - Kevin Bieksa
Defense Line 3: Keith Ballard - Christopher Tanev

Goaltender 1: Cory Schneider
Goaltender 2: Roberto Luongo

Semi-Healthy Lineup:

Offense Line 1: Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexandre Burrows
Offense Line 2: Christopher Higgins - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian
Offense Line 3: Mason Raymond - Derek Roy - Jannik Hansen
Offense Line 4: Dale Weise - Maxim Lapierre - Steve Pinnizotto

Defense Line 1: Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison
Defense Line 2: Alexander Edler - Kevin Bieksa
Defense Line 3: Keith Ballard - Christopher Tanev

Goaltender 1: Cory Schneider
Goaltender 2: Roberto Luongo

Lineup Analysis:

As of now the Vancouver Canucks have to deal with numerous player injuries and an exact date for a completely healthy roster has not yet been determined. However, both the projected lineups above look strong and showcase a wide amount of skill and toughness throughout the team.

It is expected that every player except for David Booth will return by the time the playoffs start this year which means the future lineup should look very similar to the Semi-Healthy Lineup posted above as long as no other injuries occur in the meantime. Ryan Kesler, Mason Raymond, and Dale Weise are reported to return to the lineup by next week and that will be a huge boost to the team in the locker room.

Offense Depth: Steve Pinnizotto, Tom Sestito, Jordan Schroeder, and Andrew Ebbett

Defense Depth: Andrew Alberts, Cam Barker, and Jim Vandermeer

Goaltender Depth: Eddie Lack

Overall, the Vancouver Canucks have a decent amount of depth players and are able to slot them in to the lineup whenever necessary. Not only that, but the Vancouver Canucks have the flexibility of moving centers, wingers, and defensemen around without disturbing too much of the team chemistry. This could prove to be huge come playoff time when different line combinations need to be tried out.

Offensively, we have seen Jordan Schroeder build some chemistry on the third line and Andrew Ebbett is capable of playing the second line down without being too much of a burden. Steve Pinnizotto and Tom Sestito bring a physical aspect to the game and their skill set fits in nicely with the fourth line.

Defensively, we have seen Andrew Alberts and Cam Barker play fairly decent games and they are capable of holding their own out their on the ice. However, Jim Vandermeer still hasn't played a NHL game this season, but he's a big physical defensemen that could be brought up in the playoffs.

Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo are still the best goalie tandem in the NHL and regardless of how one plays; the other can always be counted upon. Not to mention both are capable of putting up remarkable numbers and either one still has a chance to be the starter for the playoffs. In case of an injury, Eddie Lack would be recalled from the Chicago Wolves, but his lack of NHL experience could cause problems for the Vancouver Canucks.

New Acquisitions and Players Returning:

Derek Roy is now a Canuck and he will most likely be filling the void Manny Malhotra left behind. He isn't a faceoff expert, but he is a decent two way forward who has tremendous potential and a skill set that can really help the Vancouver Canucks in all areas. Derek Roy adds an incredible amount of depth in the center position for the team and I can quite easily compare the top 3 centers for the Vancouver Canucks to the previous top 3 centers of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Henrik Sedin - Sidney Crosby
Ryan Kesler - Evgeni Malkin
Derek Roy - Jordan Stall

The similarities are easily notable among those six players, but the Vancouver Canucks will really have to develop some chemistry among the team if they want to be as good (skill wise) as the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Ryan Kesler is on the verge of returning and there is no doubt that he will be 100% when he returns. If you remember correctly, the last time Ryan Kesler returned to the lineup this season he put up 5 points in 7 games. This isn't spectacular, but his shoulder and wrist definitely looked a lot better. However, Ryan Kesler sustained a broken foot in his first game of this season and he has been out ever since his injury was discovered. The amount of time he has had to rest his foot was also used to ensure that his shoulder and wrist are really 100%. So when he returns this time, he should be looking a lot better than last season and the addition of Derek Roy takes a lot of pressure of Ryan Kesler.

Expectations and Predictions:

The Vancouver Canucks have 12 games left to be played before the playoffs start this year. They are currently tied for the Northwest division lead and have a good chance of landing anywhere from 2nd seed to 5th seed by the end of this season. With the return of some injured players and the new acquisition of Derek Roy, I would expect the Vancouver Canucks to turn up some serious heat and win the next 9 games out of the 12 remaining. I am personally really excited to see how this team finishes this season and I am totally stoked to see a completely healthy lineup. All the best to Derek Roy; hopefully he will have a really successful year with the Vancouver Canucks. Good Luck to Ryan Kesler as well and especially to Roberto Luongo who has handled the goalie situation like a professional. He has just as good of a chance as Cory Schneider to be the starter for the playoffs!

Edited by TheVancouverCanucks!, 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#2 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

tl;dr

SYvE9NH.gif

AnyDXvV.png

#3 Guest_TheVancouverCanucks!_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hey Everyone,

Updated the overview as of Tuesday, January 29th, 2013. Please take a read.

Also if this could get pinned it would be great. I'm planning on updating this season overview every once in a while!

#4 Guest_TheVancouverCanucks!_*

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hey Everyone,

Updated the overview as of Tuesday, February 5th, 2013. Please take a look; it's a good read!

Also if this could get pinned it would be great. I'm planning on updating this season evaluation every once in a while!

Edited by TheVancouverCanucks!, 05 February 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#5 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Good thread, hope to see more as the season goes on.

Edited by pwnstar, 05 February 2013 - 10:51 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_TheVancouverCanucks!_*

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Good thread, hope to see more as the season goes on.

Thanks, it's good that you liked the post and I'll try my best to update this evaluation every week. Make sure to give it a thumbs up!

I've made a few quick updates to the current evaluation mostly working on the Goaltending section.

This is the latest evaluation and has been updated as of Wednesday, February 6th, 2013!

#7 Guest_TheVancouverCanucks!_*

• Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have been really busy lately, but here is the newest and most accurate Vancouver Canucks 2013 evaluation. I have changed the format a bit, but it is still fairly detailed and includes a lot of information that some of you may not have known. I am a long term Canucks Fan so I hope you like the thread and I will try my best to update these evaluations more frequently. Let me know if there are any errors and give me pointers on how I can make these evaluations better. This evaluation has been updated as of Thursday, April 4th, 2013!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.