Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Why do you guys underestimate Lapierre's skill?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

POPULAR

I just dont get it.... why do you guys choose schroeder over lapierre?

I mean, Lapierre played with the Sedins last year and he was able to score a ton of points........
Schroeder has to prove tht he is a 2nd line centremen
Lapierre already did so why dont you guys think tht he is ready for tht role

What the heck guys <_<

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#2 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

9/10 -3 in 82 games is not what I call 'tons of points'.

Wait. You are being sarcastic, right?
Posted Image

#3 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Love the guy but he's a grinder. A very good grinder, but a grinder. He should play the role that suits him. Just because he scored a few points playing with the best playmakers in the world doesn't mean he can anchor a scoring line by himself.

#4 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

because he would be a fringe 2nd liner, instead of an awesome 3rd liner... i would like to see lappy on the 2nd line, but not with the supporting cast he would currently have. if kesler is slow off of injury or is missing a beat on faceoffs i would welcome the chance to see lappy with ACTUAL top 6 players on his wing. throwing him in there now doesnt really seem to make sense.

i do, however, think that hansen would make the players around him on the second line better... maybe a demotion to, oh-i-dont-know, raymond.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#5 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Lappy is an ideal bottom 6 forward.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#6 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I want to see Lappy, Higgins and Hansen put together and kept there for 10 games .. they can play second line minutes and let Raymond, Schroeder and Weise play together ..

Or Burrows for Weise ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 22 January 2013 - 06:14 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#7 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Lapierre is not a top-six player. He does not possess the skill needed to play a scoring role. I love him and he is a fantastic grinder, but he should not be in the top-six. If he is, it means we're in big trouble depth-wise.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Well, he's only past 20 points in his career once. He's great in the bottom 6, but by no means is a guaranteed win as the 2nd line C.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

We don't make the lines. AV does.

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#10 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

POPULAR

Nice try, Maxim, but we're on to you.

Edited by One one two, 22 January 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#11 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Oh totally. And then I bet if the Sedins played on the 4th line we'd have the best 4th line in the league. I know right.

#12 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I just dont get it.... why do you guys choose schroeder over lapierre?

I would like to know why you think you are smarter than the coaching staff and would put him on the second line? There is a reason...

#13 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Although Schroeder played college, and Lapierre played QMJHL, Lapierre was able to put up over a point a game in junior, similar to Schroeder. Also, Lapierre stats while in the AHL are a lot more impressive than what Schroeder has done.

The reason that people only think Lapierre is a 3rd line center, is because NHL 13 says so.

This happens year after year with fans. They believe the hype of prospects.

I will say this. If Schroeder is unable to put up points at this level, he will have to change his game somehow to be able to contribute. I have no doubt Lapierre has the skillset to fill-in the top 6. But that is not how he evolved his game in the NHL.

Taylor Pyatt was an 8th overall pick, huge scorer in junior. Raffi Torres, too. They put up 2nd line quality points in the AHL. They aren't anything more than 3rd liners. Their size allowed them to stay in the NHL as they became "grinders".

If you look at small speedy players, there aren't as many like Schroeder that are success. Marty St. Louis put up significantly better numbers than Schroeder at each level. Until Schroeder can dominate the AHL, I don't think he takes another step. He certainly doesn't pass Lapierre on the depth chart now.

Best case scenario, is he duplicates Brian Gionta's rookie season. Play 30 games, get 10 points.

#14 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

POPULAR

I actually agree with this post, I was always a Lapierre fan living in MTL and then the day he got traded to the Ducks I bought center ice and watched him there and then he got traded to Vancouver one of the greatest hockey places in the world and I was so happy, I bought a lappy Vancouver jersey and learnt about the team and everything. But there is a reason I have always loved Lapierre and thats because he is not only one of the most versatile forwards in the leagur, but he is one of the hardest workers in the league as well and he always puts the team before him. When u give him the right coaching he will play spectacular and Carbo and AV seem to have something in common, they both know how to use him, however I would like to see AV put him back on the 3rd line for next game and not ruin him playing with volpatti and manny. I think he has an unrated amount of talent, this is someone who was promised the "A" in Montreal when carbo was there for winning the jean Belveau trophy and then Carbo got fired and they never gave him the "A" and Jaques Martin ruined him. I really want him to get that bigger role because he deserves it after all hes been through. I would really like players to be more like him, not only did he put on 20 pounds for us but he just works harder, and I am hoping Gillis will reward him with a contract.

#15 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I like Lappy a lot and I think he is perfect for our 3rd line. Higgy and Laps are better players that Shroeder right now, but I don't think Jordan is good for the 3rd line. With Booth and Kes out, our 2nd and 3rd lines are interchangeable. The current 3rd linup will probably be a permanent line, so keep them together and play them as much as the 2nd. If Jordon can't do it, Higgy or Laps will have to step in and someone else will have to play 3rd winger.

#16 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

He has more skill then people give him credit for, but he's more of a grinder then an offensive player which is why he should be on the 3rd line. Almost anyone will put up points with the Sedins. He's deff one of our best playoff performers every year though.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#17 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I would like to know why you think you are smarter than the coaching staff and would put him on the second line? There is a reason...

I was making a statement..... and no i dont think tht i am smarter than the coaching staff but there is a reason i made this post.
its becuz i wanted my statement known.....

U got a prob with that? -_-

Edited by lappy40, 22 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

o5udj8.jpg

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#18 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

dp.....

Edited by lappy40, 22 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

o5udj8.jpg

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#19 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I trust Lapierre on our 3rd line more than Schroeder though

Posted Image

#20 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Because some people can only see the bad things in anything!! If Gretsky was playing today there would be people who would not be satisfied with his play. Look on the bright side, the wins will come and both these two will be playing a part. They are too good not to succeed.

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#21 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

U got a prob with that? -_-

lol, no i have no problem with you cheering on someone with "a ton of points' that actually wasn't many! I love Lappy but as a third liner i think he is great, second line scoring guy i just don't see.

#22 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,979 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

He does have skill, there is no denying that but he is more of a 3rd/4th player. Schroeder is more of an offensive player and that is why he is on the 2nd line as 3rd/4th are more of checking/secondary scoring/energy lines. I also like how we have a balanced roster, we could just give all 4 lines the same amount of ice time, maybe little less for the 4th though.

307mg00.jpg

#23 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Maxim Lapierre is a bottom-six forward. He can play in the top-six only as a complementary right winger. I'm sorry, but he doesn't have the skill to distribute the puck as a centre in the top-six.

Posted Image

#24 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,863 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Because some people can only see the bad things in anything!! If Gretsky was playing today there would be people who would not be satisfied with his play. Look on the bright side, the wins will come and both these two will be playing a part. They are too good not to succeed.

Go Canucks Go

First of all Gretzky has a lot more than 28 points as a career high. Some people did criticize Gretzky. What folks like that didn't see was the guys amazing vision, and his uncanny knack of being in the right spot to make shot on goal.

Maybe people shouldn't be over-estimating the ceiling of Lapierre? He might be a 30 point guy, but that might be pushing it. But he hasn't really shown that since 2008-09. He's an effective forward with a bit of offensive flair. He never was even a point a game guy in Junior. His best season was 61 points in 67 games. His best year in the AHL was 36 points.

Not too many players at age 27 radically improve their offense. Even Kesler started showing real promise when he was 24-25.
Maybe fans are asking too much for a guy who is better suited for 3rd line duty.
Don't get me wrong I like Lappy, but he's not a real top 6 forward, he just doesn't have the consistency to score on a regular basis.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#25 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Lapierre is very talented and will get a promotion soon.

#26 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Lappy - Hansen - Higgins could be amongst the best 3rd lines in the League .. just need to let them play together ..

Edit: Lappy could be amongst the very best 3rd line centers in the League, given his new "martial" ability, increased strength and maturity .. just watch him .. not too many people are willing to get physical with him ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 22 January 2013 - 11:06 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#27 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Lapierre is talented, but doesn't know how to use it in game situations. I guess you could say he is lacking in the "Hockey IQ" department though I don't like using that term.

Sig too big. 

#28 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Lapierre is a great player no doubt, but he is no more than a 3rd liner. Reason Schroeder gets a spot there is because he is not a grinder, he is a highly skilled playmaker at a very young age. Best place for him to develop is that 2C spot.
Posted Image

#29 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,298 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

He and Malhotra haven't really done anything offensively lately. We need our 3rd line center to be scoring 30-40 points and 4th line center to chip in 20-30 points bare minimum.

No one ever scrutinizes their games because they're leaders and PK players, but our centers need a shake up.
Posted Image

#30 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

I'd rather try Lapierre or Higgins than give someone who's never been in the NHL our 2nd line center position. I have a feeling AV disagrees though. And I know Lapierre isn't a 2nd liner, but at least he wouldn't look completely lost out there. Ebbett was pretty awful from what I saw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.