Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Wondering about lines when Kesler & Booth return.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Lines after Booth and Kesler return (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think we should move Burrows down to the second line, and keep Kass up once both booth and kesler are back?

1. Yes (54 votes [79.41%])

Percentage of vote: 79.41%

2. Voted No (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Youth_Movement

Youth_Movement

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

I think the kesler booth experiment has ended. Kesler last year brought the 2nd line down with his wrecking ball no pass mentality. booth and raymond need a setup guy. schroeder provides that. These should be the lines when he gets back

sedin sedin kass
higgins kesler burrows
booth schroeder raymond
volpatty lappy weise

eddy mr garrison
hammer boom boom
ballard tanev
CUP OR BUST!!!!!!

#32 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

^

Booth - Schroeder - Raymond could actually be a really sick line.

but your line up is missing Hansen there's no way he'll be scratched any time soon

Edited by ashbury, 26 January 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#33 bassboy4

bassboy4

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Forwards:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian (seriously, Kassian will do to other teams what Dustin Byfuglien did to us for two years)
Booth-Kesler-Raymond (pure speed. Everyone on this line is eager to have a memorable comeback from injury. Look out league)
Higgins-Lapierre-Burrows (this line will just piss teams off. Corey Perry will cry himself to sleep for weeks)
Volpatti-Malhotra-Hansen (substitute Wiese, Ebbett and/or Schroeder as you please on this line)

Bottom Line: With a healthy Booth and Kesler, and Raymond and Kassian playing as well as they have the last two games, Alain Vigneault can do whatever the hell he wants and still get it right. What a team - I'm in love.

Defensemen:

Edler-Garrison (Alex Edler is fast eclipsing Bieksa as our best D-man. What a beast. And I love Garrison. These two guys can skate like nobody's business)
Bieksa-Hamhuis (Bieksa = awesome. Hamhuis has had a rough couple of games, IMO, but this pair has good chemistry and should stay together)
Tanev-Ballard (Tanev is one smart kid. Ballard is just... cool)

Schneids is our man. 'Nuff said. Bobby Lu can play as much as he wants in the regular season, but in the playoffs, we're riding Schneider all the way to the Cup. Go Canucks Go!

Edited by bassboy4, 26 January 2013 - 01:47 AM.

Posted ImageMilk Hot Dog, on 04 February 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Luongo is short for Luongod. & it will be written... he was traded for our sins.

#34 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Malhotra-Lapierre
Volpatti
Ebbett

#35 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

raymond <-->kesler will never work until kesler goes back to 09-10 playstyle.kesler can play the shutdown role if we're keeping shroeder and mashing lappy/malhotra in one line

#36 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm not sure where the rest would fit in, but Kassian has to keep playing with the Sedins as long as he is playing like this. And Raymond needs to stick with Schroeder too. They've got some good chemistry happening there and Schroeds looks like the type of player MayRay needs on his line.

#37 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

My ideal line up:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Schroeder
Higgins Burrows Hansen
Volpatti Lapierre Malhotra/Ebbet

Weise/Raymond

This is assuming that Schroeder keeps playing well and Burrows fits as a center. I think the second line needs a set up guy badly and Schroeder could be that guy. This leaves out Raymond though, who is playing better as of late, but he doesn't seem to click with Kesler/Booth but who knows I could be wrong. I honestly think MG should trade Raymond.

3rd line would be an excellent checking/offensive 3rd line. 4th line would be very versatile as well.

0au3Jj.gifhuntersmalll.jpg

#38 flat land fish

flat land fish

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti
Ebbett

think you pretty much nailed it for the forward lines bookie. the team has some great internal competition right now which is bringing the best out of guys like raymond and kassian. If we're fortunate enough to stay healthy the coaching staff will face some tough decisions. BTW really like Schroeders game out there creates space well for himself.

#39 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Not having to trade for a top 6 gives us so many options now....

Sedins, Kass
Amex Line again - Played great until the injuries occurred and never had a chance to really recover
Burr/Schroeds/Hansen
Mayray/Lappy/Patti

With the amount of depth we have now (with Booth/Kes returning) I wonder if Pini will find a spot?

I'm thinking that we might be better off trading for prospects and picks or a serious top 4 D?

AV is a genius...so far, his plan is coming together! Mayray and Ballard are both increasing their value :) Lou...will always be considered a #1 goalie :) All 3 need to be traded for the cap next season and it's nice knowing that we can get something in return....

#40 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I love how some of you have Raymond as a substitute ahead of Weise even though he is tied as our leading goal scoring with Kassian. Can't make some people happy I guess.

I was going to put these lines:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti
Ebbett

#41 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,770 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Tricky, we now have too much depth up front.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (solid chemistry so far, the twins finally have a bodyguard too)
Burrows - Kesler - Booth (Burr-Kes have proven past chemistry, as do Booth/Kes)
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen (all speedsters, Schroeder/Raymond are showing nice chemistry)
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre (two ex-Habs have had success last season together)
Volpatti/Weise

This just speaks volumes of our depth when we have a 20 goal scorer on our 4th line. Ideally we might be able to trade one of our wingers for a center in case Schroeder isn't consistent enough later in the season.
Posted Image

#42 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Kassian
Higgins-Kesler-Burrows/Kassian/Booth
Raymond-Schroeder-Booth/Kassian/Hansen
Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen/Kassian
Weise/Malhotra

1st line-Sedins work their magic with Kassian (if he continues playing as good as he was these past couple of games) or Burrows

2nd line- Kesler and Burrows or Booth or Kassian with Higgins as a solid supporting winger. With Booth it's more of a threat offensively and with Burrows it's gonna be a great shutdown line.

3rd line-Schroeder seems to have some chemistry with Raymond and I have a feeling adding Booth in will help even more. Adding Kassian instead of Booth would add a big body to create space for Schroeds and Raymond. Adding Hansen would allow more pucks to be won from the forecheck, also adds more speed to the line. Can be utilized like the Sedin line (o-zone starts, limited d-zone starts)

4th line- Can be played 3rd line minutes. Energy line. Forechecking madness with Lapierre and Hansen or Toughness personified with Volpatti and Kassian.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#43 nitwitt

nitwitt

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassasin
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Volpati LApiere Weise

Malholtra/Raymond

SEDIN SEDIN KASSIAN
BOOTH KESLER (player they get for LUONGO)
RAYMAOND SHROEDER BURROWS
VOLPATTI LAPIERE HIGGINS

#44 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think the kesler booth experiment has ended. Kesler last year brought the 2nd line down with his wrecking ball no pass mentality. booth and raymond need a setup guy. schroeder provides that. These should be the lines when he gets back

sedin sedin kass
higgins kesler burrows
booth schroeder raymond
volpatty lappy weise

eddy mr garrison
hammer boom boom
ballard tanev

I like this with how they are playing now, if someone drops off then? (kass and Schroeder)?

As long as we keep Ryan away from booth and Raymond, they need to play with a center that recognizes that there are wingers that could score given the chance. Question is what is the second line?

I like this because it gives us a great checking line that can score, and a speedy 2b line that can put the puck in the net. Perfect place for Schroeder, power forward on one side and a sniper that can find open lanes on the other.

#45 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Burrows on third line? He's a $4.5m man now...
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#46 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Does anyone agree that Kesler-Burrows Schroeder-Raymond should stay together?

There's four candidates to play wing for each line, but most likely not Kassian due to his success with the Sedins.

Booth, Higgins, & Hansen.

If we really wanted to, we could play Burrows at centre on the 3rd line, but I don't think that's necessary unless Schroeder starts to tank.

It's hard to tell right now, but yeah.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#47 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I don't think we will see kass stick on the first line, consistency is not his strong point. If he stays on the top line it's not a bad problem to have. Having Ryan and burrows together make a great checking line.

Booth Raymond and passing center (Schroeder) makes a good scoring line. Who is the second line? It's looks to me like two second lines that have different abilities. A even team like that is how you win a cup.

You need a quality line that can shut down the other teams top line and still score goals, they would have a boatload of mins. Don't care if its called a second or third line (although Ryan may).

#48 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Kesler and burrows have had great chemistry in the past, booth-kess-burr great 1 2 punch

#49 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth
Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

No one on the top two lines should exceed 17 + Mins a game even strength, PK and PP is different. The third line should get North of 14 mins, and the fourth should be around 12.

The second line would have a tenacious forecheck, and Higgins seems to be at his best playing with Kesler. Can also be transformed into an amazing checking line come the playoffs the deeper we go.

We all know about Raymond and Schroeder, but Booth would be perfect for that line as well. As shown in the playoffs, He hits, he's big and he's not afraid to fight. JS is able to hit guys with passes in stride, Booth likes to drive the net, and this skill was wasted with Kes who liked to try the toe drag and shot. This will be the most effective third line we've had for a LOONNNNNNG time.

Best fourth line in the Game.

-------------

So Ideally what we would like from a Luongo deal is a spare top 4 Dman, and a top notch prospect. We don't need anymore forwards, especially with Gaunce and Jensen coming up. The cupboard after those two is what needs replenishing
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#50 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth
Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

No one on the top two lines should exceed 17 + Mins a game even strength, PK and PP is different. The third line should get North of 14 mins, and the fourth should be around 12.

The second line would have a tenacious forecheck, and Higgins seems to be at his best playing with Kesler. Can also be transformed into an amazing checking line come the playoffs the deeper we go.

We all know about Raymond and Schroeder, but Booth would be perfect for that line as well. As shown in the playoffs, He hits, he's big and he's not afraid to fight. JS is able to hit guys with passes in stride, Booth likes to drive the net, and this skill was wasted with Kes who liked to try the toe drag and shot. This will be the most effective third line we've had for a LOONNNNNNG time.

Best fourth line in the Game.

-------------

So Ideally what we would like from a Luongo deal is a spare top 4 Dman, and a top notch prospect. We don't need anymore forwards, especially with Gaunce and Jensen coming up. The cupboard after those two is what needs replenishing

I agree with you but we have no insurance up front for the playoffs. I would like to see a good center prospect back in the trade. One that could play on the wolves or be affective on the nucks if we need help. Whatever we get I'm sure it will help us.

#51 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

The Line-Up without a Lu trade should look like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgens-Schroeder-Raymond
Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieska-Hamhuis
Edler-Garrison
Tanev-Ballard

Schneider
Luongo

As soon as Kesler and Booth comes back we have great depth. Schroeder has impressed me thus far and would help the third line be a constant scoring option. Also when Kesler and Booth come back the players will be held responsible so if a player such as Raymond has a bad game he can be scratched and Hansen will take his place on the third line and Malhotra or Weise can come in on the fourth. It'll keep all the players on edge.

#52 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

The NHL has moved to less of a third line "checking" line since the lockout. Look what happened when we tried that last year's playoffs.

Bruins beat us with Recchi/Chris Kelly - Peverley - Ryder as the third line. Peverly used to play top line minutes before Boston(definitely 2nd line Center material), Ryder currently is a top liner, and Chris Kelly is as good as they come as a checking forward.

With Kesler and Booth back, our forward depth IS that deep. Higgins is a 20-25 goal scorer in a scoring role, Raymond is a 25 goal scorer before injury(and maybe he's back to that), Hansen is a legitimate scoring energy third liner, Lapierre is a gritty player with skill and good on draws, and Schroeder is a playmaking center who may be viable long term.

Picking and choosing those players for a third line is a luxury, as half of them would be successful in a 2nd line role. If Booth starts slipping, Raymond, Hansen, Higgins or Schroeder can step right in and Booth's speed/energy will work great on the third line.

And then imagine, the spillover could legitimately have us having a 4th line that would be among the most skilled in the league. maybe not a "goon" type guy there, but energy between Lapierre/Hansen/Volpatti - they'll keep the puck deep, be defensively responsible, finish their checks AND get some good chances.

Yikes. And this is before we add anything with a Luongo trade.

In summation, the state of the Canucks, with Kassian playing at the rate his is, we're top to bottom one of the deepest teams at forward and defense. Add in net right now we have 2 top 20 goalies, and we're the deepest team in the league.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#53 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

no he's a 2m man now and a 4.5m man next year.
I'd roll these lines
Sedins - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Booth
Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lappiere - Malhotra

#54 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

The NHL has moved to less of a third line "checking" line since the lockout. Look what happened when we tried that last year's playoffs.
With Kesler and Booth back, our forward depth IS that deep. Higgins is a 20-25 goal scorer in a scoring role, Raymond is a 25 goal scorer before injury(and maybe he's back to that), Hansen is a legitimate scoring energy third liner, Lapierre is a gritty player with skill and good on draws, and Schroeder is a playmaking center who may be viable long term.
Yikes. And this is before we add anything with a Luongo trade.

In summation, the state of the Canucks, with Kassian playing at the rate his is, we're top to bottom one of the deepest teams at forward and defense. Add in net right now we have 2 top 20 goalies, and we're the deepest team in the league.

I agree 100%, we were happy with Hodgson as our 3rd line center so if Schroeder keeps up his play then we should give him the 3rd line spot. It's amazing that we have a team this deep and still have an allstar, gold medalist top 5 goalie on the trading block.

#55 Bure fan

Bure fan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Totally depends on Kassians play over the next week or so until return of Kesler and Booth. Hypothetically if Kassian continues to play well:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Malhotra Lapierre

Pinizotto/Volpatti/Wiese

1st and 2nd line, Burrows and Kassian are changeable between each other. I don't think Burrows belongs on the bottom 6 as others have said. I feel Burrows would be great along side Kesler on the second.

3rd like would arrguably be the fastest line in the NHL. With Raymond and Schoerder playing outstanding as of late and assuming they don't slow down, I see this line being a huge dark horse line with Hansens skill there also. Also can slot in Higgins if any player is struggling.

4th line would provide yet another scoring threat. Better then other NHL team's 3rd line. Yet this line lacks toughness with only Lapierre being the one to throw his fists; I feel that Volpatti or other tough subs could slot in against more rougher teams if needed. I also have confidence that our Defence can provide some of the toughness that this line lacks.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#56 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Sedins-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian/Burrows
Raymond-Lapierre-Schroeder/Hansen
Volpatti/Hansen-Malhotra-Wiese

I think we ought to do what Don Cherry said on Saturday: Kassian with the Sedins on the road, Burrows with the Sedins at home. When we don't have last change we want Kass out there with the Sedins so no-one can pull a fast one and have somebody roughing up the Sedins. At home we want Booth-Kesler-Kassian so we can do that to other teams' skill guys, that is a big, tough line.

We can swap out Schroeder for Volpatti depending whether we need another fighter against a particular opponent.

Edited by ThaBestPlaceOnEarth, 27 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#57 Bure fan

Bure fan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sedins-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian/Burrows
Raymond-Lapierre-Schroeder/Hansen
Volpatti/Hansen-Malhotra-Wiese

I think we ought to do what Don Cherry said on Saturday: Kassian with the Sedins on the road, Burrows with the Sedins at home. When we don't have last change we want Kass out there with the Sedins so no-one can pull a fast one and have somebody roughing up the Sedins. At home we want Booth-Kesler-Kassian so we can do that to other teams' skill guys, that is a big, tough line.

We can swap out Schroeder for Volpatti depending whether we need another fighter against a particular opponent.

I don't see Higgins.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.