The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mitch McConnell email: They’re coming for your guns

dudeone

Mitch McConnell email: They’re coming for your guns

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 02:12 PM CST

"You and I are literally surrounded," a campaign email from McConnell warned supporters

By Jillian Rayfield

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/mitch-mcconnell-gun-control_n_2519920.html

In an email to supporters, Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., pledged to oppose gun control legislation and warned his supporters that Democrats “want take your guns.”

“You and I are literally surrounded,” the email says, according to The Hill. “The gun-grabbers in the Senate are about to launch an all-out-assault on the Second Amendment. On your rights. On your freedom.”

The email, signed by McConnell’s campaign manager Jesse Benton, lays out which measures the Senate could take:

-The Feinstein Gun Ban, which will criminalize firearms by how they look.

-A thinly-veiled national gun registration scheme hidden under the guise of “background checks” to ensure federal government minders gain every bureaucratic tool they need for full-scale confiscation.

-An outright BAN on magazines holding more than 10 rounds.

-And that’s not even close to the end of it.

23 new Executive Orders.

It is almost hard to believe the sheer breadth and brazenness of this attempt to gut our Constitution.

Well, Mitch McConnell is not going to stand aside.

“It is almost hard to believe the sheer breadth and brazenness of this attempt to gut our Constitution,” the email says, asking supporters to sign a ”Defense of the Second Amendment pledge.”

Jillian Rayfield is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on politics. Follow her on Twitter at @jillrayfield or email her at jrayfield@salon.com.

Mitch McConnell Gun Control Email: You're 'Literally Surrounded,' They're 'Coming For Your Guns'

The Huffington Post | By Nick Wing

Posted: 01/21/2013 10:25 am EST | Updated: 01/22/2013 5:11 pm EST

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/mitch-mcconnell-gun-control_n_2519920.html

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) addressed supporters in a frantically toned email on Monday, warning them of a looming effort to snatch up their guns.

"You and I are literally surrounded. The gun-grabbers in the Senate are about to launch an all-out-assault on the Second Amendment. On your rights. On your freedom," reads the opening of the email, according to The Hill.

"[T]hey're coming for your guns," the email exhorts.

Last week, President Barack Obama unveiled a comprehensive set of initiatives meant to combat gun violence. Alongside 23 executive actions, Obama also announced his intention to press congressional lawmakers to introduce a set of measures, including a renewed assault weapons ban and restriction on large-capacity ammunition magazines.

Following Obama's announcement, McConnell said he'd take a tempered approach to judging the effort against gun violence, declaring that the “first test of any new legislation” would be “whether or not it infringes on the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.”

The Kentucky Republican has apparently decided that the president's proposals would violate the Second Amendment. Over the weekend, he sent out a telephone recording to supporters in his home state, promising to fight Obama's new campaign "tooth and nail."

"President Obama and his team are doing everything in their power to restrict your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms," McConnell said in the recording. "Their efforts to restrict your rights, invading your personal privacy and overstepping their bounds with executive orders, is just plain wrong."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McConnell: Inauguration time for fresh start

By DONOVAN SLACK |

1/21/13 12:20 PM EST

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/01/mcconnell-inauguration-time-for-fresh-start-154777.html

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) congratulated President Obama Monday on his inauguration and portrayed the moment as an opportunity for a "fresh start" in working on challenges together.

“Every four years on Inauguration Day, America shows the world that our major political parties can disagree with civility and mutual respect," McConnell said in a statement. "It is in this spirit that I congratulate President Obama on his inauguration to a second term and wish him well in the fulfillment of his duty to lead the U.S. at home and abroad over the next four years.

"The President’s second term represents a fresh start when it comes to dealing with the great challenges of our day; particularly, the transcendent challenge of unsustainable federal spending and debt," he said. "Republicans are eager to work with the President on achieving this common goal, and we firmly believe that divided government provides the perfect opportunity to do so. Together, there is much we can achieve.”

This is all one needs to read to understand what a complete idiot McConnell is.................

Mitch McConnell Filibusters Himself

December 7, 2012

Thursday "morning the Republican leader asked consent to have a vote on his proposal. Just now I told everyone we're willing to have that vote, an up-or-down vote, and now the Republican leader objects to his own idea, so I guess we have a filibuser of his own bill."

"This may be a moment in Senate history when a senator made a proposal and, when given an opportunity for a vote on that proposal, filibustered his own proposal," said Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). "I think we have reached a new spot in the history of the Senate we've never seen before."

"I don't know how the Republicans can say they're not abusing the filibuster after what we saw on the floor today," Durbin told reporters. "It's somewhat comic, but sad as well, that we've reached the point where Sen. McConnell will not even accept a majority vote on his own measure."

This is all one needs to read to understand what a complete idiot McConnell is.................

Mitch McConnell Filibusters Himself

December 7, 2012

Thursday "morning the Republican leader asked consent to have a vote on his proposal. Just now I told everyone we're willing to have that vote, an up-or-down vote, and now the Republican leader objects to his own idea, so I guess we have a filibuser of his own bill."

"This may be a moment in Senate history when a senator made a proposal and, when given an opportunity for a vote on that proposal, filibustered his own proposal," said Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). "I think we have reached a new spot in the history of the Senate we've never seen before."

"I don't know how the Republicans can say they're not abusing the filibuster after what we saw on the floor today," Durbin told reporters. "It's somewhat comic, but sad as well, that we've reached the point where Sen. McConnell will not even accept a majority vote on his own measure."

Archived