The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver housing ranked among world's least affordable

key2thecup

Colwood crawl...

Anyway, infrastructure isn't terrible but there is no way that things like transit are on par with Metro Vancouver. I've spent times in both cities and it can be more of a chore to get around Victoria unless you're going directly from UVIC to Downtown.

Prices are ridiculous in Vancouver. I'm moving back and renting a 2br place downtown with 700 some-odd square feet in February. "$1500" was considered a great deal...

Of course, if you have a 380k loan on a 400k house (5% down, the vast majority of new mortgages the last few years) and the value drops even 5% and then you figure in transfer fees, tax, yadda yadda it makes it makes it pretty hard to immediately pay the bank off.

If it drops more well better hope you don't have to move. Like ever.......

While that is true, most of the horrific traffic is in the western communities. Obviously there isn't as many transit options as Vancouver because its a smaller city. But the buses (when not on strike <_< ) can get you where you need to go and I'm usually fine whenever I drive anywhere. There will be congestion in places if its like 5:00 pm and everyone is heading home from work, but thats to be expected in any moderately sized city.

But back on point, the housing prices are ridiculous, in Vancouver and Victoria. Its really hard to move out when you're making starting wage and housing prices are still ridiculous. I'd like to move to Vancouver when I'm done with school, but like you said, the prices are ridiculous. I remember reading somewhere that for the price of a modest house in Vancouver you could buy an entire street in Winnipeg.

That's the problem with living in such a great area though. Of course its going to be expensive.

After reading some of the responses here, I'm just curious of the expectation held by some that they should be able to graduate school, get a job and immediately buy a home. I don't think that this would have been the case for most of history, recent or otherwise. I lived at home for a few years and some of my friends rented at first. In the end it took an average of 5 years of real world work before buying a place, amongst my cohorts.

Here is the math: I have a house which I rent out the basement (newly reno'd, 3 bdr 1200 sq ft) for $1400 including all utilities in burnaby. 20 min ride to DT by skytrain. I rent it to some younger people who split rent. So the rent per person is $460 a month which I don't see as burdonsome by any standards. I pay out of pocket about $2000 per month for mortgage payments. I know for a fact that a similar suite that I live in rents for $1600 in Winnepeg. When you do the math, it isn't really that bad, provided the interest rates don't jump. Given the new economic realities of the last decade, I don't think you will ever see the interest rates that were posted back in the 90's (10% plus).

Nice restaurants aren't a very compelling reason for houses to cost double to triple what they cost most other places in the world.

Especially if you don't have much money left over after paying for your overpriced house to frequent them.

Ridiculous is the right word. Look, I'm the first person to say that Winnipeg is not the most glamerous city in the world. Has it improved over the craphole it was in the mid-90s? There is no doubt about that. But it is still Winnipeg.My wife and I left Vancouver as soon as she graduated from university because of cost of living. We obviously would prefer to live in Vancouver. It's a beautiful city, my mom and my in-laws live out there, so we have ties; but our quality of life would go way down.It took 7 years for us to get to where we are now. Both make very good income and put enough away for retirement, take a yearly trip out to Vancity (go skiing, etc). But even now, if we were to go back to Vancouver, our quality of life would decrease significantly. There goes our 1/2 acre property and new house. In comes a cramped POS house with no space between us and our neighbours. Not the life for us.We love IDEA of living in Vancouver. We hate the REALITY of life in Vancouver.

I think a lot of people don't consider the importance of interest rates.

Interest rates have the potential to greatly affect the housing market. They are currently at an all time low, and a rise to just historic averages would cause a huge increase in one's mortgage payments. For anyone living close to the line financially this could lead to foreclosure and a sudden flood of real estate onto the market.

I think a lot of people don't consider the importance of interest rates.

Interest rates have the potential to greatly affect the housing market. They are currently at an all time low, and a rise to just historic averages would cause a huge increase in one's mortgage payments. For anyone living close to the line financially this could lead to foreclosure and a sudden flood of real estate onto the market.

Archived