Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

goaltending controversy or bad coaching?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 pbcpanel

pbcpanel

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

For years I've been saying this teams success has been because of goaltending and not coaching. When has this team ever won a game where Lui or Schnieder have a bad game? Everyone was saying Schneider should have started Sunday and given a vote of confidence but no AV goes the opposite route and plays Lui which adds more fire to the goaltending controversy. What if Lui won? Imagine how that would have played out in the media. Schneiders confidence is already shakey. This team will only go as far as goaltending will take them. It sure won't be coaching.,

#2 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Posted Image

#3 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Coaching, defense is not up to par, nor is goaltending, offense is up and down, but not where it should be. We always look unmotivated out there and sloppy. We've looked like this for much too long, this Luongo drama is just to take heat off AV and MG, Luongos the scapegoat.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#4 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Or goalies don't usually play back to backs because they have a tendency to get injured much easier then...
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#5 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I've never been a fan of AV, I've never seen an elite team lose so many leads over the years or show up for so many games unprepared.

His tactic of not talking to his "veteran group" works really well. Maybe every coach should try that awesome idea.

Yeah he won the Jack Adams and took us to game 7 but look at the team we had..... It wasn't no team like the Oilers when they were full of plugs and made it to the finals.

If he takes us far into the playoffs this year I will be impressed because I think were headed for another first round exit, but we'll see.

And to answer your question I don't really seem to remember winning any games where our goalies played bad.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#6 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

This is something I have noticed about this team few years. We only win games or shootouts on the goalies shoulders. Teams like Chi, Philly, Pitts, and Det can win for the goalie have comebacks, I have seen it many times. Just imagine Luongo on a team like Phill, Chi or Detorit, he can have average games and the teams would still win.

Luongo on those teams, would be stanley cup teams. Not meaning its an excuse for Luongo if he plays bad, but clearly when he is on, he can play lights out for a while and an off night wouldn't mean a loss for the team.

Edited by cmpunk, 22 January 2013 - 09:49 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#7 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

For years I've been saying this teams success has been because of goaltending and not coaching. When has this team ever won a game where Lui or Schnieder have a bad game? Everyone was saying Schneider should have started Sunday and given a vote of confidence but no AV goes the opposite route and plays Lui which adds more fire to the goaltending controversy. What if Lui won? Imagine how that would have played out in the media. Schneiders confidence is already shakey. This team will only go as far as goaltending will take them. It sure won't be coaching.,

I understand Ron Wilson is available.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#8 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Coaching, defense is not up to par, nor is goaltending, offense is up and down, but not where it should be. We always look unmotivated out there and sloppy. We've looked like this for much too long, this Luongo drama is just to take heat off AV and MG, Luongos the scapegoat.

Which makes you wonder if Schneider really wants to be the starter here after seeing what this city has done to Luongo. Best goalie we've ever had, broken pretty much all Canuck goaltending records, and he's still made the scapegoat.

Schneider will probably want out of here when his 3 years are up

#9 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Which makes you wonder if Schneider really wants to be the starter here after seeing what this city has done to Luongo. Best goalie we've ever had, broken pretty much all Canuck goaltending records, and he's still made the scapegoat.

Schneider will probably want out of here when his 3 years are up

Well, if Schneider believes that he is in for a bad time here, why didn't he just say, "Screw it, I'm not signing another deal here. Trade me, or I sit out." It makes no sense for him to sign a new deal here in hopes of running off as a UFA in three years time.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 22 January 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#10 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

2 Games. Cory has now played for 25 minutes. The team in front of him was complete crap. As for AV, it was on the cards to get Lu in the second game. They have a basic sked of where each guy will get to play.

What I don't like is AV not coming out and being clear about having a plan in play and instead almost playing around with the media like today in his presser - that is just stroking the flames for no reason.

#11 Banksy91

Banksy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

For years I've been saying this teams success has been because of goaltending and not coaching. When has this team ever won a game where Lui or Schnieder have a bad game?

Look at it this way. The only way you will win if your goaltending lets you down is if you have the snipers available to score and make up for it. We obviously do not have any pure goal scorers able to dig us out of those holes. Last year Kesler, the one guy able to support the twins was injured thus not able to provide that secondary scoring...not really AVs fault. I do not blame MG but if you were to blame anybody it would be him and not AV!

But i repeat I do not blame MG, i blame injuries. MG decided to invest the money in a good goalie rather than additional scoring. Its injuries that have put a wrench in the works.

PS It is only two games....chill!

Edited by Banksy91, 22 January 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#12 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

AV is doing the smart thing - playing the goalie he believes gives us the best chance to win each night. Obviously Schneider's not playing in back-to-back games, goalies rarely do, so this game against Calgary will be a real important test for him and coaching staff. If he stinks it up again (3+ goals against) Luongo's going to get a lot more starts because he gives AV the team's best chance to win.
Posted Image

#13 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Or goalies don't usually play back to backs because they have a tendency to get injured much easier then...

Hmm... So then why did Lu start vs EDM? He played 33 mins, more than half the game.
Posted Image

#14 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hmm... So then why did Lu start vs EDM? He played 33 mins, more than half the game.

that was just a warm up..

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#15 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Seriously you fair weather fans, IT'S ONLY BEEN 2 GAMES. U ALL SAY THIS CRAP EVERY YEAR.

STFU
Posted Image

#16 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

SKY IS FALLING! SKY IS FALLING!.............hahaha LMAO

#17 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

The only controversy is in the press. Which most fans lap up. I don't believe there's any controversy in the locker room.
Posted Image

#18 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

Or: The Canucks have by far the best goalie tandem in the league (on paper) and, in a short season, can use that to their advantage. I hope they play the two of them back-to-back all year.

Only in Vancouver can a fan be worried "What if Lui had won?" That's what he gets paid to do! Are you serious? His job isn't to go out on the ice and make Schneider look better. The team needs wins, and I don't care if they get them from Schneider, Lu, or Tommy frickin' Santala.

Edited by forklift_ole, 23 January 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#19 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Imagine Lou on Chicagos team right now, he would be an upgrade on Crawford but with how they are playing now, that would be pretty damn scary, I don't think Gillis is sending him that way, (I hope), send him out East.

I don't know if it is goaltending controversy or bad coaching, what we need more of are reliable puck moving defensemen, not just dump and chase, Erhoff was great at this & we haven't really replaced that area on our team, the drop pass was effective but who doesn't know that

#20 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,924 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

2 Games. Cory has now played for 25 minutes. The team in front of him was complete crap. As for AV, it was on the cards to get Lu in the second game. They have a basic sked of where each guy will get to play.

What I don't like is AV not coming out and being clear about having a plan in play and instead almost playing around with the media like today in his presser - that is just stroking the flames for no reason.

what I find funny is that Canucks fans/media think that the coach, goalies, players, management etc thinks they owe them this. They couldn't care less whether you know about their plan or not. MG knows the plan, Lu and Schneids know the plan, the players know the plan, that's all they concern themselves with.

You greatly over estimate the effect of the "fans" and "media" frenzy has on this team.

#21 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

usless thread?

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

#22 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Im glad I am not a Kings fan right now, I cant imagine what they are thinking...the team that was supposed to repeat.. Its no wonder people hate Canucks fans...everyone is up and down with this team.

When we trade Luongo, there are going to be like 100 threads on that, and 50% on this forum will be unhappy. No matter what Gillis does, or what AV does. This team is doomed for failure. ...some people know nothing about hockey but think they know everything.

If half of you guys were alive when the Canucks really did suck...you wouldnt be complaining so much. HA HA HA
Life is short, LIVE IT

#23 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Two of the best goalies in the league playing back to back games....what coach in the world wouldn't split the starts???

The goalie controversely is so overplayed by the press and then fans keep parroting it. So much goes back to Burke's "goalie graveyard" comment which was made not to accurately describe Vancouver but to distract fans and press from the real issues at the time. People loved the phrase, so somehow it became true.

#24 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

lu always starts slow, maybe cory does to....take a valum and let the pro's make the decisions and play the games..no wonder people question the hockey knowledge of canuck fans..after every loss, some people want the GM, coaches and owners changed and players traded...ignorant.

#25 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

No controversy or bad coaching.

You guys are just trying to hard to make them both those things.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#26 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hello molehill...I brought all these rocks to make you a mountain.

#27 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I've never liked AV as coach.

He won the Jack Adams because of Luongo. We couldn't score if our lives depended on it. We played boring trap hockey because he didn't have good enough players, to play any other style.

Look at our cup run.

Chicago series his game plan went to crap as soon as Bolland got in the lineup and we just edged them out with a knuckle puck.
Nashville series they completely outplayed us. Thankfully Kelser played better then their whole team.
San Jose series was probably the closest series.
Boston series was a joke. When your plan is to stop playing 5on5 and just play to get on the power play, the plan is crap. Especially when it's obviously not working.

Kinda makes me wish he never separated Kesler and Burrows that in turn saved his job.

#28 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

or a tandem.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#29 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I've never been a fan of AV, I've never seen an elite team lose so many leads over the years or show up for so many games unprepared.

His tactic of not talking to his "veteran group" works really well. Maybe every coach should try that awesome idea.

Yeah he won the Jack Adams and took us to game 7 but look at the team we had..... It wasn't no team like the Oilers when they were full of plugs and made it to the finals.

If he takes us far into the playoffs this year I will be impressed because I think were headed for another first round exit, but we'll see.

And to answer your question I don't really seem to remember winning any games where our goalies played bad.

I disagree with your first point. Wasn`t it last year that the canucks held the longest streak of being undefeated in regulation when leading after 2 periods? I think it was. Quite the opposite of what you are saying

No videos in sig please. 

#30 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,895 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

:lol: Plus one response sir!

C'mon OP; AV is a good coach and Schneider ain't going to let one bad game (is that his first in 3 years here?) get to him. He played great and still had to sit and stew behind Lou for years. He'll be fine!

Letting Lou have a bit of a roll, seein as he's here for the moment if he won the Edmonton game would not have been a bad thing at all...

I understand Ron Wilson is available.

regards,
G.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 23 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.