The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

goaltending controversy or bad coaching?

pbcpanel

For years I've been saying this teams success has been because of goaltending and not coaching. When has this team ever won a game where Lui or Schnieder have a bad game? Everyone was saying Schneider should have started Sunday and given a vote of confidence but no AV goes the opposite route and plays Lui which adds more fire to the goaltending controversy. What if Lui won? Imagine how that would have played out in the media. Schneiders confidence is already shakey. This team will only go as far as goaltending will take them. It sure won't be coaching.,

I've never been a fan of AV, I've never seen an elite team lose so many leads over the years or show up for so many games unprepared.

His tactic of not talking to his "veteran group" works really well. Maybe every coach should try that awesome idea.

Yeah he won the Jack Adams and took us to game 7 but look at the team we had..... It wasn't no team like the Oilers when they were full of plugs and made it to the finals.

If he takes us far into the playoffs this year I will be impressed because I think were headed for another first round exit, but we'll see.

And to answer your question I don't really seem to remember winning any games where our goalies played bad.

This is something I have noticed about this team few years. We only win games or shootouts on the goalies shoulders. Teams like Chi, Philly, Pitts, and Det can win for the goalie have comebacks, I have seen it many times. Just imagine Luongo on a team like Phill, Chi or Detorit, he can have average games and the teams would still win.

Luongo on those teams, would be stanley cup teams. Not meaning its an excuse for Luongo if he plays bad, but clearly when he is on, he can play lights out for a while and an off night wouldn't mean a loss for the team.

For years I've been saying this teams success has been because of goaltending and not coaching. When has this team ever won a game where Lui or Schnieder have a bad game? Everyone was saying Schneider should have started Sunday and given a vote of confidence but no AV goes the opposite route and plays Lui which adds more fire to the goaltending controversy. What if Lui won? Imagine how that would have played out in the media. Schneiders confidence is already shakey. This team will only go as far as goaltending will take them. It sure won't be coaching.,

Coaching, defense is not up to par, nor is goaltending, offense is up and down, but not where it should be. We always look unmotivated out there and sloppy. We've looked like this for much too long, this Luongo drama is just to take heat off AV and MG, Luongos the scapegoat.

Which makes you wonder if Schneider really wants to be the starter here after seeing what this city has done to Luongo. Best goalie we've ever had, broken pretty much all Canuck goaltending records, and he's still made the scapegoat.

Schneider will probably want out of here when his 3 years are up

2 Games. Cory has now played for 25 minutes. The team in front of him was complete crap. As for AV, it was on the cards to get Lu in the second game. They have a basic sked of where each guy will get to play.

What I don't like is AV not coming out and being clear about having a plan in play and instead almost playing around with the media like today in his presser - that is just stroking the flames for no reason.

AV is doing the smart thing - playing the goalie he believes gives us the best chance to win each night. Obviously Schneider's not playing in back-to-back games, goalies rarely do, so this game against Calgary will be a real important test for him and coaching staff. If he stinks it up again (3+ goals against) Luongo's going to get a lot more starts because he gives AV the team's best chance to win.

Or: The Canucks have by far the best goalie tandem in the league (on paper) and, in a short season, can use that to their advantage. I hope they play the two of them back-to-back all year.

Only in Vancouver can a fan be worried "What if Lui had won?" That's what he gets paid to do! Are you serious? His job isn't to go out on the ice and make Schneider look better. The team needs wins, and I don't care if they get them from Schneider, Lu, or Tommy frickin' Santala.

Imagine Lou on Chicagos team right now, he would be an upgrade on Crawford but with how they are playing now, that would be pretty damn scary, I don't think Gillis is sending him that way, (I hope), send him out East.

I don't know if it is goaltending controversy or bad coaching, what we need more of are reliable puck moving defensemen, not just dump and chase, Erhoff was great at this & we haven't really replaced that area on our team, the drop pass was effective but who doesn't know that

2 Games. Cory has now played for 25 minutes. The team in front of him was complete crap. As for AV, it was on the cards to get Lu in the second game. They have a basic sked of where each guy will get to play.

What I don't like is AV not coming out and being clear about having a plan in play and instead almost playing around with the media like today in his presser - that is just stroking the flames for no reason.

Archived