23 replies to this topic

#1 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

What about a trade around Luongo for Brodeur + ?

Brodeur had a shootout today, he is one of the most playoff proven goalie in history and he made it to the Stanley cup finals just last year.

Even at his age, Brodeur fit well in Vancouver windows of opportunity to win the cup. He still have it in the tank until his contract expire,

And even better, i know it had been said countless time before in all our Schneider to New Jersey proposal (Remember these Parise for Schneider proposal?), but i have to say it again : Brodeur could be a great mentor for Schneider.

I know Brodeur have been in NJ all his career, but the fact that he reached the UFA status prove that he must be open to other possibility.

So what do you guys think ?

Edited by palindrom, 22 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Posted Image Was too much for me!

Instead im reading English grammar for advanced dummies

#2 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Brodeur just shutout the Flyers for his 120th shutout. He is the face of the Devils and a living legend in net.

The price you would have to pay to get him to leave would be astronomical. He will retire a Devil.

RedSoxvsYankees.jpg

#3 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Brodeur just shutout the Flyers for his 120th shutout. He is the face of the Devils and a living legend in net.

The price you would have to pay to get him to leave would be astronomical. He will retire a Devil.

is not giving Luongo for him paying astronomically ?

#4 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

is not giving Luongo for him paying astronomically ?

There is significant value in a player whos about to retire that has played his entire career with the same organization.

You don't trade a guy who has done this for your team.

• Most regular season wins: 657
  • Most regular season shutouts: 120
  • Most regular season losses: 371
  • Most playoff shutouts: 24
  • Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined: 144
  • Most overtime wins: 45
  • Most 40-win seasons: 8
  • Most 30-win seasons: 14
  • Most consecutive 40-win seasons: 3 (tied with Evgeni Nabokov)
  • Most consecutive 35-win seasons: 11
  • Most consecutive 30-win seasons: 12
  • Youngest goalie to reach 300, 400 and 500 career wins
  • Only goalie to reach 600 career wins
  • Most career saves: 27,312
  • Most games played by an NHL goaltender: 1,191 (also most played with only one team)
  • Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender: 70,028
  • Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
  • Most career goals by a goaltender, including playoffs: 2 (tied with Ron Hextall)
[edit]Regular season
  • Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
  • Most minutes played in a single season (4697, in 2006–07)
[edit]Playoffs

These statistics are accurate as of the end of the 2012 NHL Playoffs.
  • Most shutouts in a playoff campaign (7, in 2003)
  • Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2003; tied with Toronto Maple Leafs' Frank McCool)
  • Third goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game 7 shutout in 2003.
  • First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)
  • Most points and assists in a playoff campaign (4 assists, in 2012).

Brodeur is second all-time in playoff games played (to Patrick Roy's 247), playoff wins (to Roy's 151), games played in a single regular season (to Grant Fuhr's 79 in the 1996–97 season), and eighth all-time in goals-against average (minimum 250 NHL games played). Brodeur has also acquired more than 30 franchise records, including most all-time regular season and playoff wins, shutouts, lowest goals-against-average, and is second in games played (1191) as a Devil to Ken Daneyko's 1283 games. The only major awards he has yet to win are the Hart Trophy given to the regular season's most valuable player, and the Conn Smythe Trophy, granted annually to the most outstanding player in the postseason.

[edit]Awards

RedSoxvsYankees.jpg

#5 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

There is significant value in a player whos about to retire that has played his entire career with the same organization.

But you let him become a UFA on 1st July without signing him before?

Edited by palindrom, 22 January 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#6 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

But you let him become a UFA on 1st July without signing him before?

Both sides knew he would sign, just the process took a while to get done. IE Subban, Benn, O'Reilly

RedSoxvsYankees.jpg

#7 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

• Most regular season wins: 657
  • Most regular season shutouts: 120
  • Most regular season losses: 371
  • Most playoff shutouts: 24
  • Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined: 144
  • Most overtime wins: 45
  • Most 40-win seasons: 8
  • Most 30-win seasons: 14
  • Most consecutive 40-win seasons: 3 (tied with Evgeni Nabokov)
  • Most consecutive 35-win seasons: 11
  • Most consecutive 30-win seasons: 12
  • Youngest goalie to reach 300, 400 and 500 career wins
  • Only goalie to reach 600 career wins
  • Most career saves: 27,312
  • Most games played by an NHL goaltender: 1,191 (also most played with only one team)
  • Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender: 70,028
  • Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
  • Most career goals by a goaltender, including playoffs: 2 (tied with Ron Hextall)
[edit]Regular season
  • Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
  • Most minutes played in a single season (4697, in 2006–07)
[edit]Playoffs

These statistics are accurate as of the end of the 2012 NHL Playoffs.
  • Most shutouts in a playoff campaign (7, in 2003)
  • Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2003; tied with Toronto Maple Leafs' Frank McCool)
  • Third goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game 7 shutout in 2003.
  • First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)
  • Most points and assists in a playoff campaign (4 assists, in 2012).
Brodeur is second all-time in playoff games played (to Patrick Roy's 247), playoff wins (to Roy's 151), games played in a single regular season (to Grant Fuhr's 79 in the 1996–97 season), and eighth all-time in goals-against average (minimum 250 NHL games played). Brodeur has also acquired more than 30 franchise records, including most all-time regular season and playoff wins, shutouts, lowest goals-against-average, and is second in games played (1191) as a Devil to Ken Daneyko's 1283 games. The only major awards he has yet to win are the Hart Trophy given to the regular season's most valuable player, and the Conn Smythe Trophy, granted annually to the most outstanding player in the postseason.
[edit]Awards

I think he got this from wikipedia.
Posted Image

#8 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Both sides knew he would sign, just the process took a while to get done. IE Subban, Benn, O'Reilly

Subban, Been, O'reilly are all RFA, Not UFA as Brodeur was last summer.

I dont see the comparison.

#9 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think he got this from wikipedia.

Typed it all out myself !!

RedSoxvsYankees.jpg

#10 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I thought the whole point of moving Luongo was so Schneider could be the starter. In what world will Martin Brodeur backup anyone? He is easily one do the greatest golatenders of all time and he is coming off another Stanley Cup finals appearance.

#11 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I thought the whole point of moving Luongo was so Schneider could be the starter. In what world will Martin Brodeur backup anyone? He is easily one do the greatest golatenders of all time and he is coming off another Stanley Cup finals appearance.

In what world ?

In the same world, we, Vancouver fans, proposed Schneider to NJ countless time in the past few years....

Edited by palindrom, 22 January 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#12 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

This is probably, by far, the most preposterous trade proposal ever read in CDC. :picard:

I'm sorry, but AriGold is correct. Marty is close to being a priceless individual for the Devils. Luongo may be an all-time hero for the Canucks, but what Marty has done for the organization as well as the entire league is astronomical, compared to what Luongo has done in whole.
Posted Image

#13 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

This is probably, by far, the most preposterous trade proposal ever read in CDC. :picard:

Apparently you don't come to CDC very often......;)

#14 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Brodeur is the best goalie to ever play the game. Luongo is probably the 2nd best active goalie, but he'll end up a solid 200 wins and 50 shutouts short of wherever Brodeur finishes.

Besides, Brodeur is probably done after this season, why bother?
Posted Image

#15 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

OP, are you serious or just being stupid? The whole problem we have here is that we have 2 number one goalies, so you solve that by trading one of them. So then why the F would you bring in another number one goalie? You'd be back at square one you moron. You will have solved nothing but created even a bigger problem. Schneider doesn't need another mentor, he's ready now! The guy doesn't need his hand held his whole life. This is just so damn dumb!

#16 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Marty is the best of all-time.

Ari is right, this is a completely different scenerio, this isn't the situation Mats Sundin was in a few years ago, this isn't the situation Jarome Iginla is in right now, this isn't one of those scenerio's.

This is the greatest player of all time in his position, who has played his entire career with the same organization and has been unbelievably loyal and the loyalty has been mutual (Marty not having an agent till last summer tells u something about his loyalty to the Devils)

This is an entirely different situation than we have ever seen really, Broduer is probably one of the most untouchable players in the league, no chance this happens.

zackass.png

#17 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

No way. They wouldn't trade the best goalie of all time. They show respect towards the best goalie to ever play for them... something Vancouver should learn to do...
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#18 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Apparently you don't come to CDC very often...... ;)

Merely an opinion. Stating a proposal, involving a trade of Brodeur is an utter disrespect towards the future Hall-of-Famer, and therefore, I find the proposal utterly ludicrous.

Technically, trading a healthy, 33-year-old goalie for a soon-to-retire goaltender is not a viable option for any General Manager.
Posted Image

#19 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Merely an opinion. Stating a proposal, involving a trade of Brodeur is an utter disrespect towards the future Hall-of-Famer, and therefore, I find the proposal utterly ludicrous.

Technically, trading a healthy, 33-year-old goalie for a soon-to-retire goaltender is not a viable option for any General Manager.

I never said it wasn't ludicrous......I said it is not even close to the stupidest trade proposal you will ever see on CDC.......Brodeur being who he is might make it more ludicrous but in terms of player value at least this trade would be reasonably fair.....unlike MANY I have seen on CDC. Raymond, Ballard, and 1st for Perry and Getzlaf......etc. et. etc. CDC knows no bounds in regards to ridiculous trade proposals....

#20 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

And actually, trading a 33 year old with a long term contract for a guy paid a similar amount but for far fewer years most certainly could be a strategy employed by a GM if he wants to reduce cap space a few years out. There could be any number of reasons he might want to do so...upcoming RFAs, ELC's ending and multiple guys need raises, a goalie of the future projected to be ready in a few years, etc. In this particular case it likely would not happen but that des not mean it might not make sense under a different set of circumstances.

#21 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

LOL, why would NJ want a downgrade in goal? When's the last time Lu won a game? When's the last time Lu won a playoff game? When's the last time Lu posted a shutout?

#22 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well, i thought Vancouver was in a win now mode and wanting to make a cup run, so i didnt want to trade Luongo for prospect and pick. but for someone who could at last bring Vancouver a cup.

Sacrificing the future (of a 33yo!) to win now is a viable option for any GM.

and by the way it was Brodeur + for Luongo. i didnt mention what was the +

Edited by palindrom, 23 January 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#23 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Goaltending is the strongest part of our team. Broduer Schneider tandem is no better than Lu Schneider at this point.. Need more than prime goaltending in playoffs to win. The entire team needs to be on fire and Marty, as good as he is, isn't going to help that.

#24 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Goaltending is the strongest part of our team. Broduer Schneider tandem is no better than Lu Schneider at this point.. Need more than prime goaltending in playoffs to win. The entire team needs to be on fire and Marty, as good as he is, isn't going to help that.

But why did we propose Schneider to NJ countless time in the past few years then?

We have been selling this idea many time to NJ fans as a good option, why does it become a bad option for Vancouver if we switch the perspective?

Edited by palindrom, 23 January 2013 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.