The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US military to lift ban on women in combat

key2thecup

Yup. totally. they were talking about this on the news. Naturally, the men will care a little more for the female soldiers. men are also naturally more aggressive, tough, then women. I don't like the idea of this, on top of that women is more sensitive to pain then men. This is no joke. A commander was saying, women often also get hurt alot just during basic training.

But like someone else said, if they meet every qualification to go fight In the front line, then go for it. But I pray for that female soldier, that she does not have her period during that battle.

Yup. totally. they were talking about this on the news. Naturally, the men will care a little more for the female soldiers. men are also naturally more aggressive, tough, then women. I don't like the idea of this, on top of that women is more sensitive to pain then men. This is no joke. A commander was saying, women often also get hurt alot just during basic training.

But like someone else said, if they meet every qualification to go fight In the front line, then go for it. But I pray for that female soldier, that she does not have her period during that battle.

^^^ Ahhh, yes, the ol' "woman know thy place", "know thy limitations" philosophy. As set forth by whom???? Uhhh, the 1940s/50s called, they knew they were missing someone.

The sort of thinking expressed in the post above was quickly thrown out the window by women back in the late '40's when women proved they could keep traditionally male jobs, work heavy construction, keep the factories running that supported the war effort etc all the while watching their children and supporting them while the men folk were away doing 'impohtant stuff'.

The only limitations put on women are those imposed by men for the most part. Except for that ol' fathering children part but hell, women do all the most difficult part of child procreation, bearing and raising anyway. Seriously, the 40s/50's called........they're missing you.

"Absurd"? The people who are in the position to make an informed, knowledgeable decision about this issue have made it,. You know, those who actually KNOW the situation and it's ramifications. And I'm pretty sure there was a man or two involved in that decision making.

The problem, however, is the inherent biology that separates men and women. If a woman can run as fast for as long, carry as much, etc. as a man, and scores better on her tests than other men thus making her a superior candidate, then so be it, I'm all for it. There are however so many physiological differences in terms of muscle density and hormones that play into it.

The issue isn't nearly as black and white as it would seem.

George Carlin On War

I’m not disturbed by war. More like entertained

It’s the original Greatest Show on Earth. Otherwise, why would they call it a “theater of war”? I love it. And as far as I’m concerned, the show must go on. But I realize there are some people who really worry about this kind of thing, and so, as a good citizen, I offer two ideas for peace. It’s the least I can do. Many people work on war plans; not too many work on peace plans. They even have a war college at Ft. McNair, Washington. They call it the National Defense University, but it’s a war college. They don’t have a peace college. 6 And they have war plans for every contingency, no matter how remote. If Easter Island gives us some crap tomorrow, we have a plan in a computer that tells us exactly how to thoroughly bomb the crap out of Easter Island.

You name the country, we’ve got the plan. Chad, Myanmar, Upper Volta, Burkina Faso, Liechtenstein. Just give us some crap, and we’ll come A there, and bomb the crap out of you! ‘Cause we’ve got a plan. Well, so do I. Two of them. George’s plans for peace: My first plan is worldwide, year-round, nonstop folk dancing. In short, everyone in the world would be required to dance all the time. It leaves very little time for fighting, h and what combat does occur is inefficient, because the combatants are constantly in motion. When it was suggested that this plan might be impractical, I offered an alternative wherein only half the people would be dancing at any given time. The problem with this was the distinct possibility that while half the people were dancing, the other half would be robbing their homes. So now I’ve stripped it down to a symbolic plan: twenty-four-hour, nonstop, worldwide folk dancing, once a year. Each year, on a designated day, everyone in the world would stop what they were doing and dance for twenty-four-hours.

Any kind of dancing you want. Square dance, minuet, grind, Peabody, Cakewalk, mazurka, samba, mashed potato. Doesn’t matter. Just get out there and dance. Even hospital patients, shut-ins, cripples, and people on life support; if you’re too sick to dance, you just die. While the doctors and nurses keep dancing. This would be a good way to weed out the weaker people. Dance or die! Natural selection with a beat. One good result, of course, would be that during the actual dancing, no fighting could take place. But the plan would also tend to reduce violence during the remainder of the year, because for six months following the dance, everyone would be talking about how much fun they had had, and for the six months after that, they would all be busy planning what to wear to next year’s dance.

Another plan I have is World Peace Through Formal Introductions. The idea is that everyone in the world would be required to meet everyone else in the world, formally, at least once. You’d have to look the person in the eye, shake hands, repeat their name, and try to remember one outstanding physical characteristic. My theory is, if you knew everyone in the world personally, you’d be less inclined to fight them in a war: “Who? The Malaysians? Are you kidding? T 6 know those people!” The biggest problem with compulsory, world-wide formal introductions would be logistics. How would it work? Would you line up everyone in the world single file and 4 have one person at a time move down the line meeting all the others? And then when they finish they get on the end K of the line, and the next person starts? Or would you divide everyone into two long lines and have them move past each other laterally? That seems inefficient, because, for at least part of the time, each line would have a large number of people with nothing to do. And also, once you finished the first pass, everyone would ? still have to meet the people in their own line. Either way, it would take a very long time. In fact, children would be born during the introductions, and then you’d have to meet them, too.

And it’s probably important to remember that because of their longer names, some nationalities would move through the line more slowly than others. Russians, for example. Russian names tend to be long. If you ever bought an ID bracelet for a Russian person, you know what I mean. The engraving alone can run over two hundred dollars. \ I’m afraid the Russians would move through the line very slowly: “Vladimir Denisovitch Zhirinovski, this is Yevgeny Vasily Arbatov. Yevgeny Vasily Arbatov, meet Vladimir Denisovitch Zhirinovski.” Major delay. On the other hand, the Chinese tend to have short names. “Chin Lu, Wu Han. Wu Han, Chin Lu.” Bing! See ya later! Movin’ right along. Which is why there are so many Chinese: less time saying hello, more time to frack. Peace on you. But only if you really deserve it. I suppose it would be nice if reincarnation were a reality, but 1 have problems with the math. At some point, originally, there must have been a time when there were only two human beings. They both died, and presumably their souls were reincarnated into two other bodies. But that still leaves us with only two souls. We now have nearly six billion people on the planet. Where are all the extra souls coming from? Is someone printing up souls? Wouldn’t that tend to lower their value?

But in a way it IS that black and white...

Right now, even if she COULD do all these things she wouldnt be allowed to do so...

That is the hepocrocy of america. We go to other countries and FIGHT for their women's rights but dont let our own women "go too".

All of the finer details need to be ironed out, sure. And there very well might be some negative repercussions. However, opening up the option to CAPABLE women is the least our military (and country) can do.

ok. now we´re screwed!

imagine this...

an angry, jealous, sticky woman fighting with a rifle?

isn´t enought a girl driving a car like "mass destruction weapon", imagine this, if with a single car a woman can kill anybody imagine what a woman will do with a gun and license to kill?

and the most important:

if the girl is on her period? who the girl will kill? can be any side. if she thinks you called her "fat" you´re dead!

I´m preparing my airplane right now just in case...

This was one of the issue's we dealt with at my last birthing class last night.

I believe that bringing human life into the world contributes to women being more compassionate and empathetic than men in general, which in turn means more women have an aversion to taking a life senselessly.

ok. now we´re screwed!

imagine this...

an angry, jealous, sticky woman fighting with a rifle?

isn´t enought a girl driving a car like "mass destruction weapon", imagine this, if with a single car a woman can kill anybody imagine what a woman will do with a gun and license to kill?

and the most important:

if the girl is on her period? who the girl will kill? can be any side. if she thinks you called her "fat" you´re dead!

I´m preparing my airplane right now just in case...

Archived