The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

IF we compare to two other big name players Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovanchuk (Sp?) it should be a very similar package

For Hossa the package was

Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Prospect Angelo Esposito, and 1st round pick for Hossa and Dupuis

For Kovalchuk the package was

Johnny Oduya, Nicolas Bergfors, patrick Cormier, and 1st round pick for Kovalchuk and Anssi Salmela

Of Course goalie are not the same as forward but likely as likely package......

Florida will be the ones to cave IMO. They have all the pieces to get a deal done. Tallon is just being frugal right now.

All you have to ask is, who needs Luongo the most? And the answer is Florida. Not just because of his playing ability, but also because they need to sell hockey in Florida. What better way to do that then bring in a big name player. Not to mention a former fan favorite.

I see it coming down to Weiss and Bjugstad. And maybe a salary dump coming our way in the form of Upshall; who can simply be bought out, or used as a fourth liner.

For a 4th line role? Manny is absolutely better than Perreault.

Faceoffs, defensive play and Penalty killing are paramount in the playoffs. Who would you rather have in that role? The choice seems obvious to me. The leadership and character only adds to more to what he brings on the ice.

I like Perreault too but on our team in that role Manny is more valuable barring injuries.

I also think you guys aren't giving Manny a fair chance, he hasn't done much yet but it's only 3 games in and like everyone else he is still shaking off rust, in a month or two he will be alot better even if he is only playing in that role.

Edit: And his salary isn't really a factor in anything right now as we can afford it and still have room, and he is a pending UFA who will be re-signed for far less once the cap drops.

Yep, he has a lower body injury, aka a groin pull. Tallon said he's day to day, so it's nothing serious. He was part of the morning skate today.

I definitely think Florida would be willing to offer him upif he doesn't plan on re-signing. Bjugstad would be the main thing holding up a deal though I would think. Florida would likely be more willing to offer up a D prospect like Petrovic.

However, with the rise of Huberdeau, and the steady play of Drew Shore in the American league, they may be set down the middle. Meaning Bjugstad may just be expendable after all.

funny thing is Bjugstad from Minesota and Schroeder is there too.........if we add Labate to the mix.......we have three Minesota players.......ha!

seriously it going take a lot to convince Tallon to give him up but he might be nice since he was the Canucks ever draft pick in 1970......it might cost something more than Luongo

Drew Shore shouldn't be overlooked here either. I know Bjugstad gets alot of hype on here, but Shore is a really solid prospect too.

Potential Kesler type player in the making. 6'3" 190 lb feisty two-way player. Had very impressive numbers in college, and has a good resume of awards.

If Shore and a 1st is the consolation prize to not getting Bjugstad in the deal, I'd still be pretty happy.

If WSH keeps losing, they'll be the ones IMO most in need of a elite goalie like Lou because they are a team that are expected by their fans to make the conference finals, at the very least.

I don't think this means VAN robs the bank though in a deal. WSH will be highly motivated though to get a fair deal done. I say:

Troy Brouwer

Neuvirth

1st round pick

OR

Troy Brouwer

Prospect

Draft picks but not WSH's 1st

MAYBE a another draft pick thrown in there.

That would be a fair deal, IMO.

We seemed to do fine without Malhotra's leadership faceoff and pking skills on our cup run 2 years ago so there goes that argument.

Our 4th line that year was Glass - Tambellini - Oreskovich. we got farther to the playoffs with that than with Malhotra last year so lol. It sounds to me like you're overrating Malhotra's importance to this team alittle bit.

and It isnt just 3 games, its a continuation of his play last year.

Archived