The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

^^ I would imagine we will send Ebbett to Chicago and sign Tambellini. Schroeder has shown he's a step above Ebbett, and our depth on wing could use a little help. (Weise on the second line...)

Tambellini is a great ultility guy to have. He filled in great a couple seasons ago, and brings much more to the table then Ebbett.

I hope a deal gets done soon, it's always exciting when a player like Luongo is being traded put you don't know where he is going and who the Canucks will get for him. If they don't get an elite player or players for him I sure do hope a bag of pucks do come with those players or player.

I know a friend of a friend who has a sister that lives next door to a guy who is the second cousin of a guy who knows a friend that once said hi to MG. That friend told me MG's asking price is too high.

When you're trying to trade the second best goalie on your team who has a higher cap hit for about 7 years longer than the younger, better goalie on your team, the pending trade is public knowledge and comes at a time where next year's cap is about go down, its tough to trade him for all the good players on another team. MG's leverage in this deal is very, very low.

Look back to what Columbus got for Rick Nash last year, the best player on the team. The Canucks are going to get less than that and the longer this goes on, the less they will get as Lu's value for this season will be that much less.

Unless the Canucks are willing to eat some of the cap hit, the best they get is a second line player and a second round draft pick.

I know a friend of a friend who has a sister that lives next door to a guy who is the second cousin of a guy who knows a friend that once said hi to MG. That friend told me MG's asking price is too high.

When you're trying to trade the second best goalie on your team who has a higher cap hit for about 7 years longer than the younger, better goalie on your team, the pending trade is public knowledge and comes at a time where next year's cap is about go down, its tough to trade him for all the good players on another team. MG's leverage in this deal is very, very low.

Look back to what Columbus got for Rick Nash last year, the best player on the team. The Canucks are going to get less than that and the longer this goes on, the less they will get as Lu's value for this season will be that much less.

Unless the Canucks are willing to eat some of the cap hit, the best they get is a second line player and a second round draft pick.

No to putting Manny in the deal (Manny > Perreault) and we don't need Erskine, we have similar players in Alberts and Vandermeer, it's just adding more depth to any already deep area.

Take out Erskine and Manny, then add in Nuevirth (so we get a useful goalie to backup Cory), Ebbett (to replace Perreault) Perhaps more but that should be the base of the deal IMO.

The Nash deal was also made in summer, when they didn't know whether there'd be hockey.

Luongo proposals are at the beginning of a 48 game sprint- season..MG's patience will prob prove a blessing. Also, can't compare the importance of a key fwd vs a starting'tender. Lastly, NTC's almost always leave Clb grasping at short straws. Noone wants to go to such a place.

Rick Nash got that return (which is still decent) because Columbus's GM is Scott Howson. Vancouver's GM is Mike Gillis, who is a lot smarter than Howson and will more than likely trade Luongo for a better return than what Howson got for Nash.

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head there, both JS and Tamby are better than ebbett, and both give us good depth at different positions (JS at C, Tamby at W, obviously)

That would be my hope, Tamby could really help, I would be very comfortable putting him on JS's line if we want to keep Burrows in the C spot with CH and JH, he has a good shot and so his skills would be much more compatible with Schroeder's playmaking ability than what Weise brings.

Hopefully the management thinks the same way.

Not all Russians are that way.

Not untouchable, but not avaliable IMO.

No to putting Manny in the deal (Manny > Perreault) and we don't need Erskine, we have similar players in Alberts and Vandermeer, it's just adding more depth to any already deep area.

Take out Erskine and Manny, then add in Nuevirth (so we get a useful goalie to backup Cory), Ebbett (to replace Perreault) Perhaps more but that should be the base of the deal IMO.

:picard: Ok i get it, you like Manny, but even you know that statement is not true.

For one, Perreault is 7 years young, still has visions in both of his eyes, can play in all 3 zones and not to mention 1,4m cheaper.

Malhotra can take faceoffs and dump the puck.

Florida will be the ones to cave IMO. They have all the pieces to get a deal done. Tallon is just being frugal right now.

All you have to ask is, who needs Luongo the most? And the answer is Florida. Not just because of his playing ability, but also because they need to sell hockey in Florida. What better way to do that then bring in a big name player. Not to mention a former fan favorite.

I see it coming down to Weiss and Bjugstad. And maybe a salary dump coming our way in the form of Upshall; who can simply be bought out, or used as a fourth liner.

IF we compare to two other big name players Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovanchuk (Sp?) it should be a very similar package

For Hossa the package was

Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Prospect Angelo Esposito, and 1st round pick for Hossa and Dupuis

For Kovalchuk the package was

Johnny Oduya, Nicolas Bergfors, patrick Cormier, and 1st round pick for Kovalchuk and Anssi Salmela

Of Course goalie are not the same as forward but likely as likely package......

Florida will be the ones to cave IMO. They have all the pieces to get a deal done. Tallon is just being frugal right now.

All you have to ask is, who needs Luongo the most? And the answer is Florida. Not just because of his playing ability, but also because they need to sell hockey in Florida. What better way to do that then bring in a big name player. Not to mention a former fan favorite.

I see it coming down to Weiss and Bjugstad. And maybe a salary dump coming our way in the form of Upshall; who can simply be bought out, or used as a fourth liner.

Archived