The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Actually, I'd think that Malhotra would fit the bill as a playoff rental kind of guy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another team which thinks it can go deep in the playoffs paying to get him, assuming the Canucks decided to move him.

There are a number of teams which are well below the cap ceiling, who are looking like they will make the playoffs. They could absorb Malhotra's contract easily.

regards,

G.

My best guess is that we are seeking a big and tough young blueliner, a big 3rd line centre and a back-up goalie. If he cam squeeze a pick too he'll take it, of course. Something like Matthias, Ellerby, Clemmensen and a 2nd for Lou and another smallish piece.If it differs much more than this in shape and player molds I'll be pretty surprised but, on the other hand, MG has always surprised me before.

My best guess is that we are seeking a big and tough young blueliner, a big 3rd line centre and a back-up goalie. If he cam squeeze a pick too he'll take it, of course. Something like Matthias, Ellerby, Clemmensen and a 2nd for Lou and another smallish piece.If it differs much more than this in shape and player molds I'll be pretty surprised but, on the other hand, MG has always surprised me before.

If the Canucks are going after Matthias and Ellerby I still think they should target a player with a higher ceiling. Matthias fills a roll on the third line, and Ellerby adds depth on D, but they dont offer much more than that going forward. Even if Bjugstad and Gudbranson are off the table Drew Shore, Alex Petrovic, or Quinton Howden would be a nice piece to add in.

Matthias, Ellerby, and Shore/Petrovic/Howden looks a lot better to me than Matthias, Ellerby, Clemmensen, and a second.

We could figure out the back up roll in a seperate trade.

If the Canucks are going after Matthias and Ellerby I still think they should target a player with a higher ceiling. Matthias fills a roll on the third line, and Ellerby adds depth on D, but they dont offer much more than that going forward. Even if Bjugstad and Gudbranson are off the table Drew Shore, Alex Petrovic, or Quinton Howden would be a nice piece to add in.

Matthias, Ellerby, and Shore/Petrovic/Howden looks a lot better to me than Matthias, Ellerby, Clemmensen, and a second.

We could figure out the back up roll in a seperate trade.

After 2.6 million posts of Luongo has no value and should be traded for warm pooh and a roll of sock tape or Luongo is the greatest and should be traded for Crosby, Malkin, Letang and a 1st...

What is the consensus on the Canucks actual needs?

A backup is a must. A very good prospect, probably a first line center with size is needed. A player that can contribute right now has to be included.

Given the present lineup when healthy GMMG is looking for a very solid big body, gritty forward, a top center prospect and back up goalie.

Respectfully, I do not believe the Canucks are looking at defensemen, impending UFA's, average small body forwards or any other spare parts.

Archived