The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I'm not sure why a guy like Ellerby - or any D, for that matter - would be targeted in a trade. 5/6 of our D are signed until the next ice age, and Chris Tanev appears to be holding pretty firmly onto that last spot.

Unless a guy like Ballard would be going the other way, but I'm pretty sure that the Panthers would not be interested.

Yes. But if you can get a dynamic, potential franchise dman like Gudbranson, you do it.

Gudbranson is a right-handed dman, and he would help. He's young, and could play at the top pairing one day.

I don't know too much about Petrovic...high end talent?

A step down from Gudbranson, but a big, physical defenseman that shoots right. Three things that the Canucks could use more of...

Edit: Here's a talent analysis from Hockey Futures:"

Petrovic is a physically dominant defender with a booming shot. Although he can move the puck out of his own zone, it is the physical game that Petrovic enjoys. He hits with authority, will drop the gloves with anyone, and punishes opponents in the corners. His offensive game is developing, and he has been adding weight and strength."

Luongo at 24 was also far better than Schneider was at 24, does that mean that he is and always will be better than Cory, too?

At 24, Luongo was facing 40 shots per night as Florida's goaltender. Neither Bernier nor Schneider were lucky enough to have that opportunity. Situational advantage for Luongo.

Bozak is going to demand way too much for his new contract, and there is likely far better centres available via trade (players like Stephen Weiss, who is going to get the amount he deserves, not what he THINKS he deserves).

So, no, long term and short term, that is a terrible deal. Pretty sad that all you do is eat up "insider" drivel in hopes of sounding as if you know anything.

I'm not sure why a guy like Ellerby - or any D, for that matter - would be targeted in a trade. 5/6 of our D are signed until the next ice age, and Chris Tanev appears to be holding pretty firmly onto that last spot.

Unless a guy like Ballard would be going the other way, but I'm pretty sure that the Panthers would not be interested.

A step down from Gudbranson, but a big, physical defenseman that shoots right. Three things that the Canucks could use more of...

Edit: Here's a talent analysis from Hockey Futures:"

Petrovic is a physically dominant defender with a booming shot. Although he can move the puck out of his own zone, it is the physical game that Petrovic enjoys. He hits with authority, will drop the gloves with anyone, and punishes opponents in the corners. His offensive game is developing, and he has been adding weight and strength."

^^^^^^ Good post, oldnews. I agree with it all.

It may even be a minor hold-up in the sense that Tallon maybe willing to include some lower tier guys like Shore and Petrovic along with Clemmensen and a roster player but that he and MG are having a battle of wills regarding whether it is someone like Matthias/Goc or a cap dump in Upshall.

Shore as well, though I don't think he is quite ready to be a major factor for a post season run this year, looks very similar to Kesler at the same developmental curve. There is a lot to like about that. Petrovic, or even Ellerby, are cut from a mold that the Canucks have not had in a D prospect in a very long time.

^^^^^^ Good post, oldnews. I agree with it all.

It may even be a minor hold-up in the sense that Tallon maybe willing to include some lower tier guys like Shore and Petrovic along with Clemmensen and a roster player but that he and MG are having a battle of wills regarding whether it is someone like Matthias/Goc or a cap dump in Upshall.

Shore as well, though I don't think he is quite ready to be a major factor for a post season run this year, looks very similar to Kesler at the same developmental curve. There is a lot to like about that. Petrovic, or even Ellerby, are cut from a mold that the Canucks have not had in a D prospect in a very long time.

I think you have nailed a possible holding point there regarding the roster player - Matthias and Goc are very good value for their contracts and in the crucial C spot, whereas Upshall is harder to manage and fit in - I personally would take Upshall if there were a little sweetener added to the deal, or possibly if the deal included both Goc or Matthias and Upshall and returned a roster forward like Manny whom Tallon would only have to pay to season's end... he cut a similar deal taking Samuelsson and Sturm...

I think another holding point may have been Florida's injury situation, which has been fairly dire to start the season and left them little option to move anyone off their roster - that may change a bit as they get players returning and can also better assess their young players' readiness.

Archived