The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

<p>

Also something to remember: Mike Smith has had ONE good year. Many goalies have had one good year. This year, his stats are not even remotely NHL level, with 3.43 gaa and .863 save %. In short, I don't think Mike Smith is a good available goalie to be using as an alternative to Luongo, who has consistently put up some of the best numbers in the NHL for years.

And Sampy: You can't buy a player out then re-sign him for a year.

I love Schroeder's game.......I think he's here for good. He's able to add an offensive threat to the third line without sacrificing the defensive aspect to a bottom 6 C role. Does Booth now become expendable? Does Higgy? Does Lappy? Does Raymond? IMO, these guys are all guys Washington wouldn't mind having for depth. Can Vancouver survive giving up a good forward without getting one back?

Sedin Sedin Burr

_____ Kes Hansen

________Schroeder Kassian

________Malhotra _________

Could they afford to do.......

Lu, Booth

for

Holtby/Neuvirth, Forsberg and a pick?

Sedin Sedin Burr

? Kes Hansen

Raymond Schroeder Kassian

Higgins Malhotra Lappy

Before CS started last night and almost pitched a shutout, he had stats that looked real similar. "Not even remotely NHL level" is a hell of a stretch when you consider the fact that one decent start in such a small sample size can absolve you over night.

If his numbers stay that way in twice as many games, it obviously changes things.

Not saying "bring Smith to Vancouver", or anything like that, though.

I don't see any immediate help in your proposal other than a necessary Backup for CS. Sending Booth and moving Hanson up has potential. I like that it gives Kass a role on the 3rd. The CAP hit might be to big for the Caps to handle. Higgins might work better but I like his game. Alberts is another piece that some teams might like. Big, stay at home, with some decent hitting and affordable.

Never thought I would say it but I am starting to think MG could keep Lou. Season almost 1/4 over. He might get better value during the summer after contract buyouts and UFAs leave.

Does the Tim Thomas trade not show a loophole in the CBA that teams could take advantage of if they were to acquire luongo.....if luongo had say four of five more years left he could play for whatever team wanted him and then when it gets to the lower end of his contract ie 3mil a year and lower actual pay, he could just tell his team he is taking time off from the game to be with family and said team could then suspend him and trade him to a team who at the time needs to hit cap floor for a low draft pick if he plays ,with both teams knowing he isn't going to play. Kinda makes his contract more digestible

Archived