The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Does the Tim Thomas trade not show a loophole in the CBA that teams could take advantage of if they were to acquire luongo.....if luongo had say four of five more years left he could play for whatever team wanted him and then when it gets to the lower end of his contract ie 3mil a year and lower actual pay, he could just tell his team he is taking time off from the game to be with family and said team could then suspend him and trade him to a team who at the time needs to hit cap floor for a low draft pick if he plays with, both teams knowing he isn't going to play. Kinda makes his contract more digestible

Tom Wilson is a "huge risk" - why? In what way? And if he's such a risk, why do you want the Canucks to take him? You're suffering from the classic Canuck fan bias of making proposals that involve "elite" Canucks going one way, and crappy, risky, fodder that the Canucks will reluctantly accept because they're nice guys (Smashian did the same thing with Derick Brassard) coming back, even though the scale is actually heavily tipped towards Vancouver's favour.

Luongo may be "elite" today, but, like it or not, his contract adversely affects his value in a huge way. The guy's about 2 months shy of the age of 34. He's under contract at a heavy cap hit until 2022. That makes for an extremely risky acquisition.

Here's a question: who would you trade Jannik Hansen, Brendan Gaunce, and Chris Tanev for? That's basically what you're asking Washington to give up (and flattering to Tanev, realistically).

Based on what I read from people on here and hear from the media, the only way a deal will go down this year in my opinion would be a 3 way deal.

I highly doubt the Capitals will give us all the pieces we need. The same as the Maple Leafs.

A 3 way deal would make sense. If we get pieces such as for example a Kadri type player, he would not fit our type of team we're trying to build, we could use him and get a guy like an O'rielly (just an example).

Another example of that would be a team like the Ducks. If they feel they can only sign one of Getzlaf or Perry, they could be a part of the 3 way deal.

With Gillis, you never know what he has up his sleeves. It sounds like nothing is going on but something big could be happening right now. I have a easier time believing McPhee saying he'll not do anything big or drastic. He doesn't have the balls to pull off big trades. Look at his track record. The only way he would have the balls to do it is if his owner told him his job is on the line.

No, dont see where Brouwer fits.

Buyout, trade, retirement, there are other options.

Fasth is pretty good. Anaheim got a nice guy there, maybe they put him on the block or maybe they keep him and trade Hiller. Or Maybe they keep both, who knows.

LOL

No we shouldn't. We should hang up and throw the phone out the window.

You had me until I saw Schroeder, 2nd, & 3rd.

Would rather Nuevirth than Holtby, I'm sure WSH would too. Brouwer and Laich aren't needs for us, especially to have both, and I don't see anyway they would deal both.

Orlov, Johansson, Nuevirth for Luongo, Connaution, Ebbett, 4th or 5th

Archived