The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Lou and Jensen to Washington.

Forsberg, Orlov and Ribeiro ? If not Orlov cuz too much ask, Alzner...

Why does Washington bite? Currently have two goalies below .900 save %, could bring up Jensen right away. They're missing a decent winger or they would not have Ovechkin playing his off wing. They're also not gelling with Ribeiro as a top 6 centre even as much as he is playing well; might as well get that goaltending and challenge MoJo to step into a role as 2C behind Backstrom. Jensen ain't Forsberg, but a great concession and they also leave themselves cap space to fill any other holes! (Currently $6.3 under cap).

edit note; last game MoJo was also playing wing with Backstrom and Brouwer. Sort of wastes Backstrom as a top line centre. He would come back to form if playing with Ovechkin again...

Open to feedback as to adding a goalie in return?

That puts us 6 deep at centre for a play off run with Hank, Kess, Ribeiro, Schroeder, LapDog and Manny. It provides $5 mill in cap relief next year (Ribeiro is a $5 mill rental), upgrades Jensen to Forsberg and scores us a great young D!

Brouwer and Laich both have tons of playoff experience and have shown up when it counts, both are big and can score timely goals.

Schroeder and Raymond have been fantastic, against terrible teams. Once we face mega top lines in the playoffs you really want Raymond and Schroeder being the shut down 3rd line? Maybe Schroeder has a place on the 2nd wing, and so does Mason Raymond. That doesn't matter at this point, we probably have 5 potential 2nd line wingers to go with Kesler and Booth, what we don't have is veteran in their prime big gritty scoring for our 3rd line.

Schroeder, and Raymond are both expendable in this situation.

We upgrade these two into Brouwer and Laich. You have to work with what you have and essentially we have a 2nd line in development of Schroeder and Raymond, it doesn't play the way we will need it to with Kesler back. It is the same scenario as Hodgson being on the third.

It may not look good on paper but when our 4th line is Higgins/Lapierre/Weise and our third line is Brouwer/Laich/Kassian

You will see the difference it makes.

Brouwer and Laich both have tons of playoff experience and have shown up when it counts, both are big and can score timely goals.

Schroeder and Raymond have been fantastic, against terrible teams. Once we face mega top lines in the playoffs you really want Raymond and Schroeder being the shut down 3rd line? Maybe Schroeder has a place on the 2nd wing, and so does Mason Raymond. That doesn't matter at this point, we probably have 5 potential 2nd line wingers to go with Kesler and Booth, what we don't have is veteran in their prime big gritty scoring for our 3rd line.

Schroeder, and Raymond are both expendable in this situation.

We upgrade these two into Brouwer and Laich. You have to work with what you have and essentially we have a 2nd line in development of Schroeder and Raymond, it doesn't play the way we will need it to with Kesler back. It is the same scenario as Hodgson being on the third.

It may not look good on paper but when our 4th line is Higgins/Lapierre/Weise and our third line is Brouwer/Laich/Kassian

You will see the difference it makes.

Schroeder is not "expendable" we are talking about a 22 year old who is showing alot of upside and that he is already an NHL player. That's not something you trade for a one-shot thing, or risk it all move like acquiring both of them would be. Especially for a team with such a bare cupboard like we have.

Brouwer is redundant, right now when healthy Higgins in on the 4th line, he is a fully capable 2nd/3rd line guy. If we feel the need to send JS down (even though I wouldn't) we could just trade Raymond for a center that could play on the 3rd or use Lappy.

We don't need them (Brouwer especially) and I doubt they would give us Laich, and maybe not even Brouwer either.

We have depth, unless we can add a good 2way center that is a for sure upgrade on Lappy, we should just shoot for all futures with this trade.

Got to be honest,

The idea of a Luongo and Booth plus for Ovechkin plus gets me excited.

Having lines like the lines below would give us a few lines that can give us really great scoring depth

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian

Kesler - Schroder - Ovechkin

Hansen - Lappy (washington player) - Kassian

Normal 4th line

".. We are going to make good decisions, were not going to do anything short term, were not going to blow anything up, we like the people here, were just going to be smart about how we do it"

- George McPhee

So it doesn't sound like they will give up anything massive, I don't see Forsberg, Kuznetsov, or any top piece coming our way, but if the reference to making decisions is what I think it is, I think they will look into ti more, and maybe someone like Orlov is on the table, and they aren't scared to trade 1st's.

They have little time to make a move, are they really going to just let this season go? This is great for us right now as the Caps are dead last in the league.

Edit:

Lebrun said, "They need saves, I'm sorry, but Holtby and Nuevirth have been terrible"

He also added that they want to keep with there vision of getting younger and to keep core young pieces in place, also he said they don't seem interested in moving the 1st.

Maybe I was wrong about the first, but for Luongo, perhaps Orlov could be had, he is good but he isn't the absolute cream of the crop (Kuznetsov, Forsberg)

As much as I'd have liked to see Frattin in a deal, the rest of the pieces from Toronto are certainly hard to get to thrilled about - not much there that fits aside from their high picks.

Aside from Petrovic being one of the prospects I'd most like to see, Shore also has the positives of being a two way center who is right at that NHL ready point - you can just never assume the health of players, and having another quality center imo is more important than a RW and OHL defenseman in the Leafs proposal.

He is like Pahlsson, just a tad less defensively IMO, and a bit more offense. He is still defensive center but he can puts some points up now and then.

Is he a big upgrade on Lappy though? Offense the same, Lappy is more physical, both are solid defensively. I just don't see a major upgrade.

That's why I say if we can get a good two-way guy who is a clearly a nice upgrade, then I would look into it, if Goc is in the deal as one of the major assets, I would look at something else.

Archived