The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

The difference between Finn and Petrovic long term isn't really anything.

They both project to be the same thing, 3rd or 4th D-man, just 2nd pair guys. They just play difference styles. Petrovic brings more physicality, while Finn is a more reliable and fluid player. Offense is probably the same, or maybe Finn gets the edge in due to his advantage in skating.

Finn is just not as far along, I like Petro more, but Finn could very well turn out to be the same.

I know what kind of player he is.

He is like Pahlsson, just a tad less defensively IMO, and a bit more offense. He is still defensive center but he can puts some points up now and then.

Is he a big upgrade on Lappy though? Offense the same, Lappy is more physical, both are solid defensively. I just don't see a major upgrade.

That's why I say if we can get a good two-way guy who is a clearly a nice upgrade, then I would look into it, if Goc is in the deal as one of the major assets, I would look at something else.

That's why I think we make a 3 way deal. We need a young effective player that can help us out now. O'reilly in a 3 way deal. Colorado are thin on players and I'm sure they would listen.

That is the other reason why I think this deal is taking so long. There will be more than one team involved in any Luongo deal.

Ok Smashian - don't see much point of going any further with you on this.

Petrovic and Finn are quite different type players and Petrovic is a righthanded guy as opposed to Finn,

Goc imo is not comparable to Pahlsson or Lapierre who, as much as I like both of them, aren't really two way players - simply not bottom six guys in the 30-40 point range while still getting the defensive zone starts and facing the toughest competition. I love Lapierre and Malhotra but I see them as ideal fourth liners who give us a depth advantage - Goc imo is the type of player who does the same on the third line - on the offensive side, the difference between potential 20 and 40 point players.

IMO Goc is more comparable to Higgins and Hansen in the sense of the defensive and offensive balance to their games.

The Canucks don't really need a major roster asset in a Luongo deal - the bulk of the return imo is best left in the form or prospects/futures, both for cap reasons and adding some organizational balance to the depth of prospect pool.

I don't know Stamkos, a trade like that might have flown in the 80s or 90s, or mmmmaybe more recently if Burke was involved, but in this day and age? oldnews' proposal was already a little out there but I think with Lu's contract a 3-way could be the way to go. This has made me reflect upon the fact that the day of the blockbuster, 3+ team trade has faded in tandem with the increasing restrictions of the salary cap era. There's just not that much room these days to float so many players around the league.

Archived