The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

That could work as well. I was maybe thinking something like this if oldnews' proposal is rejected:

To Vancouver: Matt Frattin, Ryan O'Reilly, Ben Scrivens

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo, Semyon Varlamov, Van 2013 2nd

To Colorado: Jake Gardiner, James Reimer, Keith Ballard, Mason Raymond

Everyone's needs are pretty much met. Toronto's greatly upgrades in goal, Colorado gets some much needed help on defense, and we get some insurance in center, who is basically just waiting to have a breakout year.

Goc might be an upgrade, but I'm still not sold on just how much of an upgrade he'd be.

If he is brought in to replace Malhotra, the team may gain some offense, but could lose in faceoff results. Would the potential offensive gain be enough to off-set those possible defensive zone faceoff losses? He is signed to one more year at $1.7 million which is below Malhotra's contract (which expires at the end of this season).

If Goc was brought in to replace Lapierre then there would likely be a gain in offense, but there would also be a loss in team "toughness" and someone who fills the agitator role which, to my understanding is not a role that Goc can fill.

If Goc was brought in to replace Shroeder, this would be a bit of a no contest purely due to Schroeder's inexperience.

There are certainly differences in the situation each player was in with previous teams. Higgins certainly produced more when he was with Montreal than he has here, but that being said, he had a very productive season in 2011 - 12 playing mostly on the 3rd line. Hansen did get some time playing with the Sedins which may well account for a big chunk of his points from last season, or, are they a sign that he has much more offensive potential than he has previously received credit?

Goc 81 points in his last 181 games.

Lappy 47 in his last 246.

Higgy 92 points in his last 210.

Hansen 89 in 236.

How is he any better than Nuevirth or Holtby? Or even Riemer/Scrivens.

The thing you are missing with Bernier is that these teams that are interested, have the exact same thing, they are looking for a proven #1 that will come in and give the team a backbone, they aren't looking to take a risk and pay a big price for a young guy with some upside, they already have guys like that. It is a laterial move from what they currently have, and they would give up important assets to do so.

Makes no sense.

Brouwer + 1st + Holtby wouldn't be a bad return. It wouldn't be a 'fleecing' but it would be a good trade IMO. Brouwer is a character guy who can score 40 points and throw his weight around. He's a local kid with a cup ring. He's signed long term and pretty much everything you want in a guy on your 3rd line who can step up into the top-6 if needed (like now).

Two 1sts in the next draft (a deep one) is key, esp. with the way WSH has played. A contending team getting a 2nd 1st round pick would be a huge relief for Gillis.

However, I think GMGM is being honest that he won't do anything radical. He'll make 1-2 small moves and hope for the best IMO.

Goc might be an upgrade, but I'm still not sold on just how much of an upgrade he'd be.

If he is brought in to replace Malhotra, the team may gain some offense, but could lose in faceoff results. Would the potential offensive gain be enough to off-set those possible defensive zone faceoff losses? He is signed to one more year at $1.7 million which is below Malhotra's contract (which expires at the end of this season).

If Goc was brought in to replace Lapierre then there would likely be a gain in offense, but there would also be a loss in team "toughness" and someone who fills the agitator role which, to my understanding is not a role that Goc can fill.

If Goc was brought in to replace Shroeder, this would be a bit of a no contest purely due to Schroeder's inexperience.

regards,

G.

The value is that trade is just terrible.

Luongo > Laich + Holtby

Raymond + 2nd > Orlov

Schroeder is small but doesn't play like it, that's the key for small players, he is small in stature, but he is very quick, stocky and strong, he will be fine at this level.

You seem to have missed the fact our issue in recent playoffs has been scoring, taking out 2 offensive players like Raymond and Schroeder don't help that.

Specifics aside, the deal is bad either way.

Not a bad proposal, actually, but I still don't think Toronto does it. Would directly contradict Nonis' "we won't be trading young players for old players" comment.

And plus, O'Reilly (I believe) is wanting pretty serious money, which is why he's holding out.

Welll Nonis has set himself up for a contradiction by stating publicly that they are looking for a veteran goaltender - and with all due respect to them, it's been patently obvious who Toronto has had in mind. Not many people look at that potential trade dynamic and see anything but youth coming this way - not realistically anyhow (Komisarek is not going to get it done haha, at least not without a boat load of youth to compensate) - one way or another, their veterans don't really fit. Saying he's not going to trade any of his young players is basically an admission that he's not going to acquire Luongo. They can ride the contradiction all they want. Not news that concerns me.

Perhaps they should have beaten Garth Snow to the punch if they were looking for a relative freebie.

Do they pass the eye test, for you? IMO, they've had 1 convincing win, and that was the last game. 5-0 against Anaheim, when the PP's are tipped in our favour 9-2 (or something along those lines), is not convincing.

He's not in a position of strength. If he was, the deal would already be done. I don't care what kind of press clippings Gillis will offer through the media, this is a big distraction that he would've preferred to avoid. He didn't avoid it because he didn't feel that there were any good enough offers - and there weren't any good enough offers because teams just aren't that interested. Pretty simple stuff, really.

So now he's holding on to the asset in the hope of either some team getting desperate and acting irrationally (Florida, perhaps), or some team throwing their hands up, abandoning their pre-existing plan, and deciding to bite on Luongo (Philadelphia, perhaps). Both, IMO, should be considered low probability events.

There's a reason why any realtor will tell you that the first week or two of a listing is so important. If you get no offers over that time frame, you're probably overpriced. If your house has been on the market for 180 days, do you really think that the next offer that comes in will be for the full price?

Archived