The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Do they pass the eye test, for you? IMO, they've had 1 convincing win, and that was the last game. 5-0 against Anaheim, when the PP's are tipped in our favour 9-2 (or something along those lines), is not convincing.

He's not in a position of strength. If he was, the deal would already be done. I don't care what kind of press clippings Gillis will offer through the media, this is a big distraction that he would've preferred to avoid. He didn't avoid it because he didn't feel that there were any good enough offers - and there weren't any good enough offers because teams just aren't that interested. Pretty simple stuff, really.

So now he's holding on to the asset in the hope of either some team getting desperate and acting irrationally (Florida, perhaps), or some team throwing their hands up, abandoning their pre-existing plan, and deciding to bite on Luongo (Philadelphia, perhaps). Both, IMO, should be considered low probability events.

There's a reason why any realtor will tell you that the first week or two of a listing is so important. If you get no offers over that time frame, you're probably overpriced. If your house has been on the market for 180 days, do you really think that the next offer that comes in will be for the full price?

6-2-2 missing the 2nd line that's all that matters also i guess you missed the chicago game played pretty good there and i guess you missed the edmonton game they came back from 2-0 to win in ot but i guess both those games just showed weakness in victory

give your head a shake get the hand off the panic button

p.s. luongo will be moved during the offseason there is no reason to trade him now

Ok Bob. No bubble to burst, so no worries.

And I'm very surprised by your response.... :bigblush:

Luo to Florida for mid range roster player and futures is my bubble - this proposal was more of a make conversation thing - I think a three way deal will be difficult and complicated at that level, but Italia likes O'Reilly, (so do I), so I had a go, even though I knew it would not meet your approval.

Very short-sighted thinking, as usual.

What are we going to do next year, Smashian? You know, that time when we do need to get rid of one of the two guys? What do you think will happen to the price of Luongo if he's kept this entire season, and then it's basically a known fact that we have X amount of days/weeks/months before we need to get rid of him? How do you think that impacts his price?

And do you really want a $4 - $5M asset riding the pine in the playoffs? Is that a good use of cap dollars? I can see it now, if we were to get bounced in the first round (again), the excuse then becomes "well, this was a unique year, MG had to wait to solve the goaltending issue", etc.

Brouwer and a 1st would be a fantastic return for Luongo, and MG would be crazy to say no if it was offered (which I doubt it was/is).

Maybe it's time for you to understand the actual strategy employed:

Gillis is asking fair value for an ELITE goaltender. Not spare change. Not mediocre futures. Most teams cannot afford to trade for Luongo. Gillis knows that.

Luongo won't waive his NTC to go anywhere but FLA. FLA is not willing to move what Gillis demands.

Schneider's agent comes in running his mouth about getting impatient. Guy gets paid nonetheless.

Both Schneider and Luongo are having fun out there. They understand where they're at entirely.

Luongo has taken back his rightful position. Schneider will struggle all year long to maintain his status as an equal.

Gillis doesn't want to trade Luongo nor Schneider. It is dry early in the season and there is no actual pressure on most teams as all can still make it. The pressure will mount as the season unravels and offers will come.

Offers for Luongo won't be fielded for a while and they will not be as great as offers fielded for Schneider. Schneider can be easily moved due to contract length and numbers.

Luongo stays by de facto of Schneider's agent "losing patience" when really, it is another way of saying "I should have thought of it differently".

So calm down King and support our great goaltender before you and SmashianKassian run him out of town and then complain that the Canucks suck because they don't have a goaltender of the caliber Luongo is and start crucifying Schneider because of his eventual subpar play that doesn't allow the Canucks to win every night.

You make a decent and fair point, but none of those 4 guys have the pedigree that Bernier has. Being drafted 11th overall and really nothing happening since that pick to suggest that it was a bad one - he was a star in the AHL and has been very promising in the NHL - carries some cache. You may as well ask the same question of Schneider - how is he better than any of those 4 guys? Bit bigger of an NHL sample size, sure, but not that much, and he is 2 years older.

And regarding "a proven #1 that will come in and give the team a backbone", why wouldn't they also want a guy like Kiprusoff, Miller, Howard, Thomas, Smith, or any of the other #1's that could also be available through trade this year? Why bind themselves to a guy like Luongo for the next 9 years?

First of all

we likely are no longer after a 2nd line C with the rumour of RK17 possibly returning tonite vs the flames.

so that leaves hank, kesler schroeder, lapierre and manny.......and ebbett

where does any C we acquire fit ?

we are however stacked at Lw, daniel burr raymond higgins...volpatti

what we do need is a proven top 6 RW with grit and size .

so thats the roster player GMMG is likely in the hunt for.

needless to say we will also need a backup(preferably a vet)

GMMG wants a blue chip prospect or 2 and or draft picks

so for example

RW

backup tender

prospect

prospect/pick

how is Luongo value fading king of the es? with other goalies along luongos stature going down with

injuries, and luongos stellar play will only increase his value, and him handling his situation with so much class,

professionalism - also increase his value.

if luuu does get traded this year it will be shortly before the deadline (a few days) or asap after the cup

is won.

luongos the guy on his way out, roberto knows it cory knows it and any fan thats watched the team

knows it.

Could Nicklas Backstrom be pried out of Washington? I know we are pretty good at centre (Hank, Kes, Schroeds, Lappy, Manny) but if Hank or Kes get injured during the playoffs (which happen quite often) our offence dries up. Also, if we were to have Backstrom be our second line centre then that would free up Kesler into a more offensive role. They should work well together, too! Natural (and superb) passer with a natural shooter.

To Washington

Luongo (or Schneider)

Booth

To Vancouver

Backstrom

Forsberg

*adjust picks as necessary

Daniel ` Henrik ` Kassian

Burrows ` Backstrom ` Kesler

Raymond ` Schroeder ` Higgins

Lapierre ` Malhotra ` Hansen

Could Nicklas Backstrom be pried out of Washington? I know we are pretty good at centre (Hank, Kes, Schroeds, Lappy, Manny) but if Hank or Kes get injured during the playoffs (which happen quite often) our offence dries up. Also, if we were to have Backstrom be our second line centre then that would free up Kesler into a more offensive role. They should work well together, too! Natural (and superb) passer with a natural shooter.

To Washington

Luongo (or Schneider)

Booth

To Vancouver

Backstrom

Forsberg

*adjust picks as necessary

Daniel ` Henrik ` Kassian

Burrows ` Backstrom ` Kesler

Raymond ` Schroeder ` Higgins

Lapierre ` Malhotra ` Hansen

I have been a long time reader for awhile now and now I am about to become a first time poster. Alot of talk has been said about Luongo needing to be traded and how Mike Gillis has waited too long to trade him. I believe that is partially true and partially false. This is the type of trade that is made in the off season. The Canucks are off to their best start since MG took over, and that is without Kesler or Booth! Does anybody really honestly think that Lu is even going to agree to get traded anywhere at this point?! He wants to win!

If Lu is going to agree to a trade anywhere at some point this season, it would have to be a case like Tampa Bay last year. It was blatantly obvious that the only thing they needed was goaltending. When you make a trade like this in the off season, you don't really know how teams are going to end up! Did anyone guess that Buffalo would be doing this bad, even with Thomas Vanek scoring at a 2 point per game pace?! Did anyone expect the Leafs or Isles to be in playoff contention. The answer is no. If you want to sway a goalie with a no move clause (which he earned for years of hard work and service as a Canuck), it almost has to be done in the off season! The writing is pretty much on the wall now.

Secondly, the type of return people want for Lu is not crazy, but it may be less than anyone expects. Mike Ribiero got traded for a 2nd round pick last season. Is he worth his contract? That's up for debate, but I would say yes. What about Ellerby and Loktinov? Both dealt for 5th round picks. Lu is a world class goaltender and both Ellerby and Ribiero are perfect examples of what we want. So what does that say?

Honestly, we shouldn't be complaining about a Luongo depth move, where we could get 3 guys floating around the lineup (ie-Brouwer ++). The depth this team has is already pretty good. A trade involving either goalie will out the Canucks in one hell of a position to contend! I honestly think Schneids gets dealt in the end. I like him, but we can send him anywhere! Columbus, Toronto, TBay would make a play. So would Florida. Washington would too, I'm sure! And we may just land that stud Dman or young playerthat we have been looking for! Carlson, Gudbranson, Rielly, Murray. Connolly, Johansen, Bjugstad, or maybe even Huberdeau. I don't know, but if Lebron can win in a shortened season, so can Lu!!!

"Fair value" is a subjective concept. No buyer cares what Mike Gillis thinks Luongo is worth. They have the price that they're willing to pay, and there's no evidence to suggest that they'll deviate from that.

Clearly, Gillis' perception of "fair value" is not in line with the market's. As such, we have the situation that we're in. The obvious problem is that the market can afford to wait for far, far longer than Mike Gillis can.

Archived