The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

There are rumblings regarding Schneider's agent who might have played his cards differently in light of Luongo doing so good, as well as TSN finally going on record that Schneider will "have to seize his opportunity when it comes", which he has.

Basic fact is, the Canucks are the richest team between the pipes. Lets just enjoy this franchise's golden age now, for it will come to an abrupt stop in a few years.

In my opinion I feel very comfortable keeping Lu and trading Schneider.

Lu is as is good as Schneider and has been a great team guy.

If Schneider in a trade can bring us the pieces for now and the future, why not trade him? Those pieces could be the ones that take us to the promise land and help us out at being good for many years to come.

Lu can help out our young goalies like Lack and Cannata. Show them the ropes like he did with Schneider.

After watching after hours tonight, it sounds like Lu would be fine finishing off his career here. He has close friends on the team and loves the city.

care to elaborate on this one...what would be the "asking price for schneider?"

a top 3 forward who is youngish?

that 20131st from CBJ is for sure going to be a lottery pick, esp if we wait to make the trade until the deadline, plud Johansen is a top prospect and dorsett is tough and has great hands for a 4th liner...

by the way, if you are going to post one word answers with no explanation- don't bother

Having watched the After Hours interview with Luongo last night, he seems very secure with the situation, and I could see him staying here. In my opinion, the last thing we want to do is a deadline deal like the Pahlsson/Hodgson deal last season, where we completely changed the identity of our 3rd line heading into the playoffs. At this point I can't see any blatant roster weaknesses only a ridiculous amount of depth at every position, especially when Kesler and Booth come back. I'd rather keep two solid goaltenders for this years playoffs than risk having one get injured and subbing in whichever back up we land in a trade. You don't think a Neuvrith or a Scrivens wouldn't get eaten alive in this market?

Bottom line is, don't fix what isn't broken. Up front our depth looks something like this with a full lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malholtra - Lapierre

Volpatti/Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Barker/Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

I don't see any roster weaknesses. Right now our 'back up' is better than 25 starters, why move him for pieces that we don't need. Trading him for prospects or picks before the deadline is counter intuitive, as it wouldn't help us for this year's playoffs. This team is so deep that Higgins, a perennial 40 point guy is relegated to our 4th line. When we need toughness, we can inject Volpatti/Weise into the lineup, on top of already having Kassian and Lapierre ready to answer the bell. You can't convince me as to how it would be a viable option to shake up this roster before this year's trade deadline, as there isn't anything that needs upgrading.

I agree with Ossi. The play thus far of Kassian, Schroeder and Raymond has given the Canucks the luxury of avoiding a "desperation" move just to shore up the offense lost by the absence of Kesler and Booth.

There really is no glaring "need" for the Canucks right now and the prospect of having two number 1 goaltenders for the duration of the season is looking pretty good right now. Considering the prospect of a possible injury to either Lou or Schneids, (touch wood) the 'Nucks are better served by having either of our current tandem available to shoulder the load, rather than adding a roster player who may or may not be an upgrade over what we currently have.

Guys like King and Huffy do have a point when it comes to the fact that the current situation would be untenable, should it carry over into next season, but considering the fact that this team is built to win now, I'd be okay with going all in, as it were, in an attempt to win it all this season and worry about next season when the time comes.

Personally, the more I think about it, the only return that would make it worth trading Lou sooner than later, would be a package of "can't miss" prospects, along with a reliable backup netminder.

Barring that, I'm as comfortable as Gillis seems to be with retaining both goaltenders for the entire season. We'll worry about next year, next year.

iluvbc, you are certainly a buyer of popular opinion, nothing more. You're the type to want movement for the sake of movement. I imagine you, SmashianKassian and a few others walking behind an accordion playing hick pitch fork and lantern in hand on the way to a hanging.

Calm down little fella.

Well, prospects and picks will help us down the track, and should be a consideration.

But tell me what is our depth chart down the right wing? Schroeder MIGHT be fine as a 3C also. But not between two small wings, say Hansen and Raymond, against big line ups.

Watch games like LA, San Jose or LA. For that matter LA play off's last year, Boston the year before that. We were crushed by big physical and fast line ups. You could make a valid argument that if Kesler was healthy for those the physical difference would not be so profound. But hey, guys get injured and your depth needs to stack up physically at the very least, where its hard to expect the same talent as your all star top liners. The point is do we rely on a cast of small depth players.

Horton gets hurt, up steps Thornton. Not as good but filled the bill. Do you think Weise or Hansen is going to replace Kassian if he goes down?

We DO need another big forward, at least one! If we get a RW we can live with Schroeder, but a big centre that also plays wing is fine. It's one thing to beat weak division rivals in Edm, Calg and Minn; bring on the big line up's such as the Rangers, St Louis, LA, or Boston. You might not like the results status quo...

I argued that we should not have made that deal last year also! :bigblush:

Hey, I've also eaten crow as Kass is clearly ahead of schedule and helping us this year. But yes, re-defining the team is usually a mistake. It works, for example with the Penguins, when you pick up Ron Francis to play behind Mario Lemieux. It's a big ask.

But most cup winners have scored a veteran who compliments their team without disrupting their core. For example the Hurricanes with Doug Weight.

Lou is obviously a bigger fish than what Carolina gave up; and we should expect a Doug Weight plus futures if we are to make a deal. Lou will make teams better for 4 to 6 years. A team like Florida, at the deadline, with 3 blue chip centre prospects should throw one plus Weiss at us if they're not going to make the show.

But I also see Backstrom wasting away behind Ribeiro, MoJo not getting serious playing time and the Capitals having so many LW they have Ovechkin, arguably the best LW in the world, playing off side. You could debate they don't need Mike Green with Carlson on side. THEY should be shaking up their line up to balance things out. Don't be fooled by a Holtby shut out; their goal tending has been sub par at best. This is the type of team that might be prone to make a hockey deal now. They also have enough good young assets they might cough one up, and are blessed with plenty of pieces that would slot nicely into our line up.

We also have no real puck rushing D or a right handed shot to back up Bieksa. How about Lou for Mike Green and a first (if they don't want to give up Kusnetsov, MoJo or Forsberg?)???

Somebody will have a weak moment.

Having watched the After Hours interview with Luongo last night, he seems very secure with the situation, and I could see him staying here. In my opinion, the last thing we want to do is a deadline deal like the Pahlsson/Hodgson deal last season, where we completely changed the identity of our 3rd line heading into the playoffs. At this point I can't see any blatant roster weaknesses only a ridiculous amount of depth at every position, especially when Kesler and Booth come back. I'd rather keep two solid goaltenders for this years playoffs than risk having one get injured and subbing in whichever back up we land in a trade. You don't think a Neuvrith or a Scrivens wouldn't get eaten alive in this market?

Bottom line is, don't fix what isn't broken. Up front our depth looks something like this with a full lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malholtra - Lapierre

Volpatti/Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Barker/Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

I don't see any roster weaknesses. Right now our 'back up' is better than 25 starters, why move him for pieces that we don't need. Trading him for prospects or picks before the deadline is counter intuitive, as it wouldn't help us for this year's playoffs. This team is so deep that Higgins, a perennial 40 point guy is relegated to our 4th line. When we need toughness, we can inject Volpatti/Weise into the lineup, on top of already having Kassian and Lapierre ready to answer the bell. You can't convince me as to how it would be a viable option to shake up this roster before this year's trade deadline, as there isn't anything that needs upgrading.

iluvbc, you are certainly a buyer of popular opinion, nothing more. You're the type to want movement for the sake of movement. I imagine you, SmashianKassian and a few others walking behind an accordion playing hick pitch fork and lantern in hand on the way to a hanging.

Calm down little fella.

I argued that we should not have made that deal last year also! :bigblush:

Hey, I've also eaten crow as Kass is clearly ahead of schedule and helping us this year. But yes, re-defining the team is usually a mistake. It works, for example with the Penguins, when you pick up Ron Francis to play behind Mario Lemieux. It's a big ask.

But most cup winners have scored a veteran who compliments their team without disrupting their core. For example the Hurricanes with Doug Weight.

Lou is obviously a bigger fish than what Carolina gave up; and we should expect a Doug Weight plus futures if we are to make a deal. Lou will make teams better for 4 to 6 years. A team like Florida, at the deadline, with 3 blue chip centre prospects should throw one plus Weiss at us if they're not going to make the show.

But I also see Backstrom wasting away behind Ribeiro, MoJo not getting serious playing time and the Capitals having so many LW they have Ovechkin, arguably the best LW in the world, playing off side. You could debate they don't need Mike Green with Carlson on side. THEY should be shaking up their line up to balance things out. Don't be fooled by a Holtby shut out; their goal tending has been sub par at best. This is the type of team that might be prone to make a hockey deal now. They also have enough good young assets they might cough one up, and are blessed with plenty of pieces that would slot nicely into our line up.

We also have no real puck rushing D or a right handed shot to back up Bieksa. How about Lou for Mike Green and a first (if they don't want to give up Kusnetsov, MoJo or Forsberg?)???

Somebody will have a weak moment.

I respect what Ossi is saying.

But our 5 game win streak only has 1 game against a strong team; Chicago. I believe Chicago outplayed us and the goalie won the game. We need to be prepared to outplay, which includes competing physically, with top teams before we start counting too many chickens or believing our line up is play off tough.

And FTR; I'm suggesting complimenting the team we have not blowing it up. This could, but does not have to, include a Lou trade. Higgins and Lapiere were great complimentary parts to add to Manny and Torres two years ago. But Torres is gone, and Manny is not quite the same. It might be as simple as re-acquiring a Bernier as a depth (versus high paid front line) player, or Torres if Phoenix is out of the race, or???.

^ this. It's all about who flinches first at this point. But I agree with the zillions of other previous posts saying 'aint broke, don't fix' I think Ossi summed it up the best so far.

Archived