The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I do think we still need a Joel Otto, Stephane Yelle type ( I know I am dating myself ) that can be relied upon for tougher series where every inch needs to be fought for, preferably one with Cup experience. This player could be a piece of a Lou trade or a deadline deal, which is probably the case. This isn't to necessarily bump a certain player out but to provide greater depth and flexibility.

Last year Gaustad or Ott would have fit the bill but that ship has sailed.

I do think we still need a Joel Otto, Stephane Yelle type ( I know I am dating myself ) that can be relied upon for tougher series where every inch needs to be fought for, preferably one with Cup experience. This player could be a piece of a Lou trade or a deadline deal, which is probably the case. This isn't to necessarily bump a certain player out but to provide greater depth and flexibility.

What are the stats on offensive starts for the Twins?

Maybe its possible guys get offensive starts because they are good at it and help they're teams in doing so? See Lemieux, Mario, Hull, Brett, etc, etc...

Hard concept, I know...

Wow - you are as stubborn and repetitive in the face of evidence as anyone on these boards.

Gardiner - 56% offensive zone starts, second only to Rosehill.

Only Leafs who faced a weaker quality of competition - Orr, Rosehill, Dupuis, Ashton...

Call it whatever you want - those are sheltered minutes.

I respect what Ossi is saying.

But our 5 game win streak only has 1 game against a strong team; Chicago. I believe Chicago outplayed us and the goalie won the game. We need to be prepared to outplay, which includes competing physically, with top teams before we start counting too many chickens or believing our line up is play off tough.

And FTR; I'm suggesting complimenting the team we have not blowing it up. This could, but does not have to, include a Lou trade. Higgins and Lapiere were great complimentary parts to add to Manny and Torres two years ago. But Torres is gone, and Manny is not quite the same. It might be as simple as re-acquiring a Bernier as a depth (versus high paid front line) player, or Torres if Phoenix is out of the race, or???.

I totally agree with this, I remember Yelle when he played for the ave-that is the exact guy this teem needs.

Every team wanted Ott at the trade deadline...

what is so funny to me is the Buffalo GM- he has no clue what strategy he is trying to implement.

Ott is a complementary player that a contending team adds and sabres are a team that has a 1C who is 23 and not a true 1C- in other words they need to re build...but whatever

Ott would be perfect and considering how bad buffalo is doing, they might offer him up for a 1st...if we could make that a 1st in 2014 I would be interested.

Brouwer is a similar player but with a heftier contract that kicks in next year.

I remember hearing other NHL players talk about why it was so hard to play the redwings in the late 90's to early 2000's and everyone agreed that it was becuase they had a big guy on each line who liked to hit-so with every line opposing D men always felt a little rushed and throughout the course of a series that got warn down and made more mistakes. With Kassian we have this, Kesler is like this, we just need one more guy who hits and is a pest and can play.

Y'know a funny story. I whinged big whinges about 4 years ago that we needed Joel Otto. Then Kesler came out from Sundin's wing if you believe all those who thought he was worth $10 mill...

We have a Joel Otto.

We also have a 5'7" 3rd line centre behind him. What we need is someone bigger for him to play with if he's our guy...

Go ahead on rage on me for "not using a valid source" but according to hockeyyinsiderr the Caps offer of Johansson and Neuvirth for Luongo and Raymond was declined and the Canucks have asked for Carlson or Alzner as a starting point. Makes no sense to me because we don't need defence but what ever.

Hockeyy Insiderr just tweeted the Canucks turned down an offer from the Caps. He said they offered Neuvirth and Mojo for Lu an Ray.

He said MG wants Carlsson or Alzner.

I know many think HI is bs but he is entertaining and I like reading his tweets more than the 90% of the garbage in CDC.

Go ahead on rage on me for "not using a valid source" but according to hockeyyinsiderr the Caps offer of Johansson and Neuvirth for Luongo and Raymond was declined and the Canucks have asked for Carlson or Alzner as a starting point. Makes no sense to me because we don't need defence but what ever.

Archived