The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Bottom line is Luongo is more useful to us as a backup than anything acquired in a trade. With our roster as deep as it is, we no longer requiring secondary scoring with Kesler/Booth returning on top of having Schroeder, Raymond and Kassian all performing in offensive roles. Hansen and Higgins have also looked good offensively. I'm not going to bump any of these guys out of the lineup for some 6'3 big guy who might be able to pot 20 points in a full season. We have team toughness with Kassian, Weise, Volpatti, Lapierre, Bieksa, and Ballard. I'm not worried about matching teams physically when Kassian can play 18 minutes of physicality while still potting the odd goal.

I'm not sold on any of these projected trades, and once again I focus on the deal happening before the trade deadline, of which is not beneficial to the Canucks. Those that agree with me note that we don't have any glaring needs, compound that with potentially shaking up a system that is working by acquiring a player who would change the dynamic of our 3rd line. That, or a trade which would get us prospects and picks that we couldn't use immediately. As far as I'm concerned with the way Luongo is playing, and his comfort with the team, any trade that would occur between now and the deadline would be a loss. Might as well wait until the season is over before we go and shake up the roster.

... on a silver plate.

A big body, nasty, net-clearing forward is the name of the game and Schneider is a great piece to add to any team.

Lets face it; Luongo is on a long term deal with the Canucks. He's warming up to the idea of remaining with the team, I strongly suggest fans do so too.

Bottom line is Luongo is more useful to us as a backup than anything acquired in a trade. With our roster as deep as it is, we no longer requiring secondary scoring with Kesler/Booth returning on top of having Schroeder, Raymond and Kassian all performing in offensive roles. Hansen and Higgins have also looked good offensively. I'm not going to bump any of these guys out of the lineup for some 6'3 big guy who might be able to pot 20 points in a full season. We have team toughness with Kassian, Weise, Volpatti, Lapierre, Bieksa, and Ballard. I'm not worried about matching teams physically when Kassian can play 18 minutes of physicality while still potting the odd goal.

I'm not sold on any of these projected trades, and once again I focus on the deal happening before the trade deadline, of which is not beneficial to the Canucks. Those that agree with me note that we don't have any glaring needs, compound that with potentially shaking up a system that is working by acquiring a player who would change the dynamic of our 3rd line. That, or a trade which would get us prospects and picks that we couldn't use immediately. As far as I'm concerned with the way Luongo is playing, and his comfort with the team, any trade that would occur between now and the deadline would be a loss. Might as well wait until the season is over before we go and shake up the roster.

I think Eddie Lack's injury also necessitates wasting asset value on a backup were Luongo to be traded sooner as opposed to later and adds weight to the hesitancy to move Luongo, or the insistence that Gillis' firm terms be met at this point or he won't be persuaded to move Luongo in the short term.

I personally am not too concerned if a return weren't quite as strong in the offseason as it is now. You still want to get full value for a player, but the Canucks have pretty much milked the Luongo deal for quite some time (there really is no 'losing' where getting value out of that trade has been concerned), they aren't in desperate need of any immediate additions, and the young players the Canucks are developing seem to be refuting the frequent claims that Gillis and the Canucks have failed to produce a prospect pool.

George McPhee, who's team has numerous superstars (Ovechkin) and performance versus expectations sulks;

McPhee also acknowledged that more is needed from his goaltending tandem of Braden Holtby, 22, and Michael Neuvirth, 24. The Capitals have allowed a League-worst 3.73 goals-against per game.

"With respect to getting itchy fingers and whatever, if there's something I can do to make the club better, I will," he said. "I've had some real good discussions with ownership over the last couple of days and they're obviously not very happy. But they've been supportive. At times like this ownership can pile on and make things worse. Or ownership can say 'How can we help and what we can do to make it better?' And it's been the latter. It's been 'How can we help, what can we do to make it better?'…"

"That being said, if there's something I can do to help the club out I will."

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Let the speculation begin!

I thiink McPhee is looking for the OK from ownership to take on another large contract-Green, Bckstrom, Ovi...Luongo.

Let's face it WSH can pay the price without really hurting their team now or down the line...

How does Brouwer, 2013 1st and a prospect not named Kuznetosv hurt them more than their current goaltending. WSH's goaltending hurts them night in night out and it hurts the moral and lets be honest- OVi is a selfish guy and probably pretty p-o'ed they are losing so much.

Plus once Luongo goes on to rock it in WSH McPhee will get GM of the year.

Archived