The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Your dealing with a lot of 'what ifs' here in regard to who gets injured, while ignoring the biggest one, that being what happens if Schneider goes down, and Luongo is dealt?

Lack is out for the season, making Cannata our back up, or the back up we get in a Luongo deal, which would be comparatively sub-par. So in this scenario, we're looking at having a Holtby/Neuvrith/Scrivens as our starter, while Schneider is injured. We risk this potentiality for what exactly? - A third liner making 3.6m who might put up 30 points in a full season (Brouwer)? Or a depth centre that adds some size, changing the dynamic of our 3rd line (ie. Pahlsson last year)?

Since we don't really require any more D-men, the two returns I've considered are a depth centre or a gritty winger, on top of picks/prospects. It's what most people around here assume the Luongo trade would bring us, that being a roster player with some future additions.

So back to the scenario, Schneider goes down, Luongo was traded for depth and a backup, and we're entering the playoffs anchored by Neuvrith/Scrivens .... and for what do we risk this possible scenario - for Brouwer, or Pahlsson 2.0.

Yeah I agree, if Schroeder continues like this I would be fine, but if we can add a versitile 2 way guy like Bailey (Who can also play wing I am pretty sure) Then I would do it.

But if the player we are looking at isn't an upgrade or costs too much, I would just going into the playoffs with JS and Lappy.

No, not really that many what if's. We're weak on right wing, right D, debatably at centre. And the depth left side guys who can take their place will not win wars of attrition in the play off's if our key guys fall at RW and right D. We can also temper the Schneider bet with a veteran backup and we will find one. One got hot for Edmonton when they made the finals.

Chicago won the cup on the back of a very good team; talented, deep and physically competitive. They did so on the back of an average to good goalie, Niemi. Detroit won with Chris Osgood, hardly a hall of famer; but again ridiculous talent on the team. Anaheim won with Giggy, who couldnt play well enough to stay on Toronto's line up. Tampa won with Khabi; who always flirted with being an all star, But he's no Ken Dryden.

Montreal ran a good but not spectacular team to a cup on the back of extraordinary goal tending by rookie Patrick Roy. Hasek almost willed his team to a cup one year.

The point is the performances by Brodeur or Roy that you can bank on to anchor you to a cup are the exception rather than the rule. Most teams win because they have the best combination of physical and hockey talent left standing.

I'd take my chances adding some superb talent and some added size in a Luongo trade. Schneider is as good as most who have won a cup.

We've also been bitten by Lou letting us down, as classy as he is becoming!

Your dealing with a lot of 'what ifs' here in regard to who gets injured, while ignoring the biggest one, that being what happens if Schneider goes down, and Luongo is dealt?

Lack is out for the season, making Cannata our back up, or the back up we get in a Luongo deal, which would be comparatively sub-par. So in this scenario, we're looking at having a Holtby/Neuvrith/Scrivens as our starter, while Schneider is injured. We risk this potentiality for what exactly? - A third liner making 3.6m who might put up 30 points in a full season (Brouwer)? Or a depth centre that adds some size, changing the dynamic of our 3rd line (ie. Pahlsson last year)?

Since we don't really require any more D-men, the two returns I've considered are a depth centre or a gritty winger, on top of picks/prospects. It's what most people around here assume the Luongo trade would bring us, that being a roster player with some future additions.

So back to the scenario, Schneider goes down, Luongo was traded for depth and a backup, and we're entering the playoffs anchored by Neuvrith/Scrivens .... and for what do we risk this possible scenario - for Brouwer, or Pahlsson 2.0.

I like the option?

Can't see a Lou trade here; Josh Bailey is a bit stunted in terms of his development. My guess is he'd still give JS a good run for his money and competition is good. Mo Jo is about my low point on a prospect as the signature return on a Lou move.

And with Mojo I'm looking for obvious other value. With Bjugstad less...

Would anyone trade a 1st, likely a a late first rounder for Bailey? He needs some fixing, but there was the talent that saw him picked before Hodgson, Tyler Myers, Eberle..., He'd also be ready, if ever, in the next year versus waiting 4 or more years...

If not that, what (which would be fair)?

What about Josh Bailey as a 3C?

I think Eddie Lack's injury also necessitates wasting asset value on a backup were Luongo to be traded sooner as opposed to later and adds weight to the hesitancy to move Luongo, or the insistence that Gillis' firm terms be met at this point or he won't be persuaded to move Luongo in the short term.

I personally am not too concerned if a return weren't quite as strong in the offseason as it is now. You still want to get full value for a player, but the Canucks have pretty much milked the Luongo deal for quite some time (there really is no 'losing' where getting value out of that trade has been concerned), they aren't in desperate need of any immediate additions, and the young players the Canucks are developing seem to be refuting the frequent claims that Gillis and the Canucks have failed to produce a prospect pool.

Stevie Y must be wondering if he needs an upgrade in goal. Tampa Bay is scoring 1/2 a goal a game more than any other team in the league and is 1 point ahead of 12th. Lindback is sitting with a gaa of near 3 with  a 90% save percentage.

4 losses in a row sure can change things in a hurry in a shortened season.

Brouwer can play either wing and has played mostly RW in WSH.

Raymond has been horrible every playoff ever.

I know you don't think the Canucks needs more size, but I disagree, I think the more the better.

Add that to the fact that Brouwer is a local kid, with a cup ring and I think he's the perfect addition over Raymond for a long playoff run, as well as the fact that he can play both wings the Canucks keep the versatility.

I can't believe Yzerman is willing to spend all that money on D, and backing it up with underachieving goaltenders. St. Louis and Lecavalier aren't getting any younger either.

I don't think Lindback is the answer at all. His career stats to this point have been average at best. Also, even if he does get it together, he has Stills disease, which will likely hinder his ability from ever taking a full starter's workload.

concerned that WSH may opt for a cheaper option than Luongo

-Kipper will not come cheaper, but his contract is easier to handle

-vokoun may be available but they may actually ask for quite a bit seen as they signed him more for the playoffs if Fleury stumbles there...

there would indeed be a market for schneider:

-Tampa-lindback has been awful and now that TB is not scoring >4 goals/game, they are losing, exposing their deficiencies on D and even larger ones in goal

-CBJ - continues to be a mess in goal

-WSH- enough said

-Florida- they thought Theodore was the answer- child please.

-Detroit - they could be very interested in schneider

All these teams have some nice pieces and MG could create quite the bidding war if he played his cards right

Archived