The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Raymond was hardly useless in the Boston series. He had their 'd' back on their heels for most of the series. Not sayin that Van doesn't need more size. IMO Raymond's value has been going up all season. If he and Schroeder continue to gell it could make a real dif on what Gillis thinks he might need on the 2nd line.

Raymond was hardly useless in the Boston series. He had their 'd' back on their heels for most of the series. Not sayin that Van doesn't need more size. IMO Raymond's value has been going up all season. If he and Schroeder continue to gell it could make a real dif on what Gillis thinks he might need on the 2nd line.

5 games played, 0 goals, 0 assists, -3...sorry, but pretty useless. It's not like the "D back on their heels" opened up glorious opportunities for his linemates, either.

Raymond might have it in him to be effective in the playoffs. But I'd like him to prove it before Gillis extends him again (unless at a significant discount).

Stevie Y must be wondering if he needs an upgrade in goal. Tampa Bay is scoring 1/2 a goal a game more than any other team in the league and is 1 point ahead of 12th. Lindback is sitting with a gaa of near 3 with a 90% save percentage.

4 losses in a row sure can change things in a hurry in a shortened season.

He said "hardly useless", not "provided secondary scoring and much needed physicality".

And, besides the entire team played like garbage. No-one scored any goals or delivered any bone crushing hits (who wasn't immediately ejected).

Raymond has returned to the mean, just as anyone who doesn't rely solely on stats to evaluate player value predicted.

He scores, skates faster than 90% of the NHL and goes to the dirty ice and plays well defensively.

Yep.

I am sure Stevie knows the plan to winning as much as anyone. He must recall that the Wings went 50 years without a cup before winning in 1996-97 after bringing in a proven mid 30s year old Mike Vernon (1994-95)who won the Conn Smythe in 96-97,, After learning how to win from under Vernon for 4 seasons Osgood the Wings did win the next season. To win their 3rd cup the Wings acquired a 37 year old Hasek who gave them the goaltending needed to win

For their 4th ad final cup they had a 36 year old Osgood between the pipes.

He was ineffective. Sure, he's a fast skater, but when it doesn't open opportunities up or it ends it with him taking a wide-angled shot and it coming out the far-side of the opposing zone, it's actually more harmful than good.

So far this year he has looked OK, had some good & bad moments, basically what you can can expect from a 3rd liner. But his effectiveness empirically, historically has gone down in the playoffs. It could change, but I don't think the risk is worth it. A guy like Brouwer, or Ott or whatever is a clear upgrade and one I'd like to see GMMG make.

Its still funny to me though that after saying Luongo and his contract aren't affordable they give Matt Carle 33 million over 6 years.

If they got Luongo next year, he would cost them 40 million for 9 years.

Now assume Luongo retires and doesn't play the last 3 years of his contract, they could have Luongo for the next 6 years for 36 million.

The Lightning's biggest downfall the last couple of years has been goaltending, an absolute letdown. So instead of fixing that need directly they add Matt Carle for 3 million dollars less (assumption) than Luongo would have cost over the life of their contracts?

It really did open up opportunities. No-one was able to capitalize. That can't be his fault.

And your comment was about his numbers and physical play. No-one had good numbers against the Bs and were physically dominated, to boot. Not just Raymond.

I understand your points, but the truth is he wasn't completely useless as there is a lot you can do away from the puck to contribute.

But I digress.

I get your point about the Sabres. I guess I drew a line from "Trade Lou" to "Get Ott" and filled in the blanks.

Either way, I'm torn on Ott. He does bring an element that this team needs, but his douchy-ness is really hard for me to get past, even though I know that is part and parcel with a niche player like Ott. I doubt Gillis picks up a guy like that.

Marcus Johansson was not on the ice for Monday's Washington Capitals practice, two days after being a healthy scratch against the Florida Panthers. He's day-to-day with an upper-body injury, according to coach Adam Oates, and won't go on the Florida road trip.

But was Johansson a healthy scratch? He took part in a lengthy scratches skate Saturday morning.

Asked when the 22-year-old Swede got injured, Oates said: "Kind of last time he played. It’s been bugging him but last time he played."

Archived