The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Non of those deals are really intriguing, that last one is especially bad. I like having Higgins, no need to throw him in that deal. Might even rather him than Brouwer.

Actually there is a problem.

LW - RW

Daniel - Burrows

Booth - Kassian

Raymond - Hansen

Higgins - Weise

Manny - Volpatti

Not sure where Brouwer fits, he has to play top 9 and we already have a plethera of top 9 wingers. Wingers are the last thing we need at this point.

As for Marcus Johansson.

THN, Washington's site and Hockeydb, probably the 3 most up to date sites, all having him at 6'1, 205. Even found another site that has his there.

He was 5'11 180 when drafted, but he has gotten bigger.

He can play center or wing, brings two way ability, good offensive skill (A really nice wrist shot) and bring more grit than you think. He would suit our 3rd line center spot very nice with the Wingers we have for him to play with, and he has nice upside.

Does anybody think that just maybe, Luongo does not want to go to Toronto.

IMHO Lou wants to go to Florida and if not Florida to a strong Stanley Cup Contender.

The Leafs certainly do not fit into either of those criteria.

Lou has the last say, and Lou knows better than to outrightly say I will not go to Toronto because they suck. The Toronto Press would destroy him.

I thought it was widely reported Luongo refused to go to Toronto already?... anyways. I would do Kadri for Luongo easily if it were on the table and Luo wanted to go there.. MG has to be careful about asking too much. I don't think there is nearly as much interest in Luongo as many ppl are hoping and thinking.. If he waits till the summer then he's really got his back up against a wall.

also FWIW from a Lu trade angle, I'm finding this Leafs-Flyers game more interesting for the Bryz getting pulled angle than the Reimer injury side. During 2nd intermission they were saying Bryz couldn't really be faulted for the 4 goals but I don't agree, he looked shaky and it seemed like that translated to the defense, not the other way around. Boucher in relief has been predictably average, didn't have to face much at first but he let in the first real chance in the 3rd (and JVR kind of whiffed on his breakaway shot, puck went in anyways).

Scrivens in relief has looked almost as good as Reimer, and unless it's a career ending injury, it's not going to make them trade for a long-term contract.

Well; if you're really counting Burrows is a LW playing on the Sedin's right side.

It's great, smashing actually ::D , when it works. But it's also a 3 x 185 lb line that has been susceptible to size match up issues; cue Zack Kassian as a fill in, or Samuelsson when he stayed healthy in past play off's... Maybe that option solves everything? But it also only works when we do a good job controlling match up's; for all the chat about Hodgson receiving sheltered minutes the Sedins/Burrows received the highest O'zone starts of any line in the league, several years in a row. And I've heard you complain many times about AV's failure to control match up's, in reality its a depth problem.

When injuries, or creative coaches in a 7 game series, take that match up away we have had to rely on depth scoring. And each of the years we lost (save the Byfuglien year when they were just too big) attrition on the 2knd and 3rd line due to constant pounding left us with no depth scoring if the Twins were shut down. Further, when those injuries occured, see Sedin taking D draws against Lucic / Krecji, we could no longer shelter the Twins.

That is why we still need depth forwards with size!

The way I see it, picking up a Brouwer means Burrows, Kassian and him can be alternated to whichever line needs size; Burrows becomes the ultimate roamer playing left or right. And how bad can it be deciding to choose Raymond or Higgins to fill in on the 4th line?

If not Brouwer, someone similar. Its a problem championship teams have!

Non of those deals are really intriguing, that last one is especially bad. I like having Higgins, no need to throw him in that deal. Might even rather him than Brouwer.

Actually there is a problem.

LW - RW

Daniel - Burrows

Booth - Kassian

Raymond - Hansen

Higgins - Weise

Manny - Volpatti

Not sure where Brouwer fits, he has to play top 9 and we already have a plethera of top 9 wingers. Wingers are the last thing we need at this point.

As for Marcus Johansson.

THN, Washington's site and Hockeydb, probably the 3 most up to date sites, all having him at 6'1, 205. Even found another site that has his there.

He was 5'11 180 when drafted, but he has gotten bigger.

He can play center or wing, brings two way ability, good offensive skill (A really nice wrist shot) and bring more grit than you think. He would suit our 3rd line center spot very nice with the Wingers we have for him to play with, and he has nice upside.

Well; if you're really counting Burrows is a LW playing on the Sedin's right side.

It's great, smashing actually ::D , when it works. But it's also a 3 x 185 lb line that has been susceptible to size match up issues; cue Zack Kassian as a fill in, or Samuelsson when he stayed healthy in past play off's... Maybe that option solves everything? But it also only works when we do a good job controlling match up's; for all the chat about Hodgson receiving sheltered minutes the Sedins/Burrows received the highest O'zone starts of any line in the league, several years in a row. And I've heard you complain many times about AV's failure to control match up's, in reality its a depth problem.

When injuries, or creative coaches in a 7 game series, take that match up away we have had to rely on depth scoring. And each of the years we lost (save the Byfuglien year when they were just too big) attrition on the 2knd and 3rd line due to constant pounding left us with no depth scoring if the Twins were shut down. Further, when those injuries occured, see Sedin taking D draws against Lucic / Krecji, we could no longer shelter the Twins.

That is why we still need depth forwards with size!

The way I see it, picking up a Brouwer means Burrows, Kassian and him can be alternated to whichever line needs size; Burrows becomes the ultimate roamer playing left or right. And how bad can it be deciding to choose Raymond or Higgins to fill in on the 4th line?

If not Brouwer, someone similar. Its a problem championship teams have!

I thought it was widely reported Luongo refused to go to Toronto already?... anyways. I would do Kadri for Luongo easily if it were on the table and Luo wanted to go there.. MG has to be careful about asking too much. I don't think there is nearly as much interest in Luongo as many ppl are hoping and thinking.. If he waits till the summer then he's really got his back up against a wall.

Archived