The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Not sure if you mean trading these guys before deadline. Raymond and Higgins will be UFA's after this season, so won't get much return. Lu, Ballard and Booth would get more, of course. These trades before deadline would be insane. You don't blow up a team right before the SC playoffs.

I think you're jumping around a bit there, chum. :) It's one thing to damn the Canucks drafting/scouting because they (like pretty much all the teams) haven't picked up anyone in the later rounds, but It's an entirely different matter to then expand that position to criticize the entire scouting system.

Look at the current team. As Thad noted, Bieksa and Hansen were late draft picks. Edler was a 3rd rounder. Burrows, Tanev and Volpatti were signed as undrafted free agents. And then there's the Sedins, Kesler, Raymond, Schroeder and Schneider who were all 1st round picks. This is half the team. I believe the drafting for the Canucks is doing rather well. We also should keep in mind that Bourdon was looking like he would be a solid NHL'er, and Hodgson (who became Kassian) was also a 1st rounder.

What does this tell us? It tells us that a large number of the guys who are supposed to make it, are making it. It also tells us that there is a significant number of guys on the team (about 1/4) who are late picks and/or undrafted signings. I think this is also pretty good, especially considering who they are: Burrows (a top-6 forward), Bieksa (a top-4 d-man), Hansen (who I believe is one of the better 3rd liners in the NHL), Tanev (a young, top-6 d-man) and Volpatti (a very good 4th liner who plays his role exceptionally well). That's a lot of high end talent on that list.

Just as an addendum to the late round picks paying off: that Corrado kid (5th rnd in 2011) looks like he could make it. And Evan McEneny could pay off as another undrafted signing.

I believe there already has been a change in the Canucks' drafting philosophy over the last few years. There has been a shift to getting guys with more size (hopefully not at the expense of too much in the talent department).

As for trading guys to get picks, as higgyfan points out, it's kind of a risky thing to trade away guys at the deadline without getting some roster help in return if you're looking to go far in the playoffs.

Something I'd also mention, while it might be a good thing to ask for 1st round picks, who's really going to give them up, at least for this year? And outside of Luongo (or Schneider), nothing that the Canucks might be willing to trade off would get a 1st, even if you were to package all of them up in one bundle. If a team really felt confident that they would win the Cup then they may well trade what would be the 30th overall pick to get that asset which would put them over the top, but any non-goalie deal isn't going to do it.

regards,

G.

oh ya btw this thread went for crap ages ago. Im just replying to what ppl posted i know this is suppose to be a luongo thread, but not much to talk about.

MG is firm on his price, he says he will ride both goalies all year. Wel hey fine and dandy come summer time you damn well know 29gms will offer even less if we still have Luo. So if thats a calculated risk MG is gonna take i sure hope it works out then and we get a great return. Because that is waht we should be getting for an elite goalie not getting scraps cuz we need to dump cap or start buying players on our team out or hinder our ability to sign free agents. Cuz nobody knows who may become a FA in july with compliancy buyouts and it would be nice to have some cap flexibility wouldnt it?

I agree we have to trade Luo and have been saying sooner then later.I'd be happy if we got a good young player, a first rounder and maybe a third or fourth.We do not need any more players to help the team, we have more then enough.If we could get a second trade in with ballard as a few teams need a D man I'd do that as well, throw in a raymond and try to sign higgins for two years and gte a good backup with one of the trades.To me this year and next I think is our best chance at getting the cup, after that I'd trade everyone over 30 and start over.We cant keep our players forever so I'd be planning on that if I was MG!!

We should have a " Hockey Talk " or " Everything Hockey " thread where the conversation goes where ever posters chose.

The Luongo trade / discussion thread is used to discuss and argue about every hockey related issue. Its less about Luongo and more about other issues re the Canucks and the NHL.

Why not just have a designated thread to discuss whatever comes to mind. an Everything Hockey thread and keep this thread on topic.

More from Gillis today, pretty similar to what's been said already though:

benkuzma

Gillis on TEAM 1040: "Hoepfully, we'll get some injured guys back soon and we'll see what we've really got." #canucks

Gillis on his goalies: "Do I think this could last forever, no? But I knew it could last this season because of the bigger goal we have."

We should have a " Hockey Talk " or " Everything Hockey " thread where the conversation goes where ever posters chose.

The Luongo trade / discussion thread is used to discuss and argue about every hockey related issue. Its less about Luongo and more about other issues re the Canucks and the NHL.

Why not just have a designated thread to discuss whatever comes to mind. an Everything Hockey thread and keep this thread on topic.

Raymond had a really solid game yesterday.

He is really confident, he obviously isn't the toughest, and grittiest guy. But he is playing with alot more grit and alot more willingness to battle. Exc. He isn't playing that soft, stick to the perimeter, falldown and do nothing game that we saw last year, he is using his speed effectively cutting to the middle, driving the net and is battling well.

The more he plays like this the more I don't want to deal him, he is finally bringing that secondary scoring he showed he could bring in 10/11 and it is exciting.

People just equate the last year Raymond with this years Raymond, but really they are completely different players.

Winnipeg does not need him. Nobody here even cares if they miss the playoffs. We are still in the honeymoon stage, with guaranteed sellouts for the next 4 years. It's not even that Luongo wouldn't waive his NTC to come here, it's that Winnipeg isn't in a rush to make the playoffs. Out of every team in the league, they are in the best possible situation. Guaranteed sellouts and no pressure to make the playoffs. They can continue to build from the draft.Scheifle is developing nicely. Not being pushed in like he would be in other markets. Trouba, although still only 19, was the standout defenseman at the WJC. With another deep draft this year and pick in the top 10 draft position, the Jets are doing everything perfectly.Now, is Pavelec great? Not at all. However, the Jets don't need to worry about terrific goaltending until they are in a position to compete. They are already looking solid on defense for the forseeable future (Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, Stuart). In 5 years, then we'll see if the Jets are desperate to find a top goaltender.

I go'cho back.

Well, I guess it's fun to keep discussing this, and I mean it will eventually happen, but I hope everyone here is ready to settle in for the long haul. I doubt this trade happens until the off-season at this point, especially given MG's recent quotes.

On the other hand, it feels nice to grab a cold beer and a bowl of popcorn and watch which teams around the league have their goaltending implode while we head towards the playoffs. :towel:

I go'cho back.

Well, I guess it's fun to keep discussing this, and I mean it will eventually happen, but I hope everyone here is ready to settle in for the long haul. I doubt this trade happens until the off-season at this point, especially given MG's recent quotes.

On the other hand, it feels nice to grab a cold beer and a bowl of popcorn and watch which teams around the league have their goaltending implode while we head towards the playoffs. :towel:

@SNHockeyCentral: Gillis: "You talk to general managers all the time... You'd be surprised the number of teams that have inquired about our goalies." Plural.

@SNHockeyCentral: Gillis on a Luongo buyout: "Absolutely not." Never even discussed.

@SNHockeyCentral: Gillis: "Every team you're talking to about a potential trade includes a player you might not want or manages their cap situation as well."

@SNHockeyCentral: Gillis: Time to do something with goalie situation will be the summer.

@SNHockeyCentral: Gillis: "Doing the right thing by the two guys changes during the off-season."

@SNHockeyCentral: Mike Gillis: "If there wasn't a deal for us that made sense, we were going to keep both of them in a shortened season."

sounds to me like Gillis wants to wait 'til the summer- may not be the wisest move because I agree with other posters that we are a good top 6 forward away from being THE FAVORITE and really giving other teams a lot of trouble with match ups

Archived