The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Raymond had a really solid game yesterday.

He is really confident, he obviously isn't the toughest, and grittiest guy. But he is playing with alot more grit and alot more willingness to battle. Exc. He isn't playing that soft, stick to the perimeter, falldown and do nothing game that we saw last year, he is using his speed effectively cutting to the middle, driving the net and is battling well.

The more he plays like this the more I don't want to deal him, he is finally bringing that secondary scoring he showed he could bring in 10/11 and it is exciting.

People just equate the last year Raymond with this years Raymond, but really they are completely different players.

Raymond had a really solid game yesterday.

He is really confident, he obviously isn't the toughest, and grittiest guy. But he is playing with alot more grit and alot more willingness to battle. Exc. He isn't playing that soft, stick to the perimeter, falldown and do nothing game that we saw last year, he is using his speed effectively cutting to the middle, driving the net and is battling well.

The more he plays like this the more I don't want to deal him, he is finally bringing that secondary scoring he showed he could bring in 10/11 and it is exciting.

People just equate the last year Raymond with this years Raymond, but really they are completely different players.

You want Orlov, a somewhat unproven, struggling and injured D-man when we have our top 4 locked up for 3+ years, and our number 5 locked in as Tanev, with Connoughton playing well with Tanev and potentially ready to make the jump to the NHL (along with Barker, Vandermeer, Alberts...) Value is wasted somwhere here, because Orlov wouldn't be top 4 on this team.

Tom WIlson. A 200lb 6-4 prospet with D potential according to hockey's future - AKA a project. "What remains to be seen is whether the big winger can develop his offensive skills – it will be the difference between Wilson being a top 6 forward or a 4th-line energy player." Unlike Kassian (B potential), he DOESN'T naturally have the same hockey sense/offensive skillset. Maybe he ends up being another Brouwer... But he may end up just being a 4th liner. 12 goals in 77 OHL games is pretty bad, and thats JUNIOR hockey. Sure he gets lots of PIMS, but I think we've addressed our toughness enough.

Hodgson was a rookie - and in the case of a forward, you can put him between two solid two way players, shelter him from the difficult minutes by using Malhotra and Kesler to handle those, give him a highly disproportionate amount of offensive zone starts for a third line center, etc.

I don't see any real comparison to be made.

He does have more confidence and ability to battle this year, but I disagree with you regarding the nature of his game.

This is the same Raymond.

He is still playing primarily a perimeter style game - it's what he does well - and I have no problem with that. I've yet to see much of Raymond driving the net as you claim. Raymond still drives teams deeper than they want to be, but he primarily spins off to the perimeter/corner - this is still my most prominent image of Raymond. The difference is that he has the strength to make those stops and turns, as he used to, without falling. What makes him so much more effective now imo is that once he creates that space for himself to the outside by driving, going wide and stopping/pivoting, he is still strong on his feet - and very adept at finding open trailers or blueliners who have a whole lot of space as a result of the collapsing that his speed generates. I don't think Raymond does much driving into the dirty areas - he may mix that in once in a while to change things up, but that's not his thing - he's an open spaces kind of player for a reason - his perimeter game is actually quite effective when he is able to execute it as he is. Raymond's speed is not just effective on the rush - he uses it by going primarily to open areas, which tend to be the perimeter, not the dirty areas, but he's very effective because he attracts a lot of attention, makes people lose their coverage by dividing their attention (half way between switching off), makes people look like they are relatively standing still, and it creates a lot of space for team-mates, albeit in the opposite way that a power forward does.

There's still a difficulty with where he fits when the roster is complete/healthy - but I've never been anxious to move Raymond - he does a lot of things well and was far too maligned - I like seein him play with a guy like Hansen who has that combination of grit/board play as well as the open ice game, speed, sense and skill to mesh well with Raymond. Schroeder playing between the two is a helluva two way threat line.

It also would give the Canucks the depth to use a guy like Higgins with Manny/Lapierre on the fourth line - again, a hell of an advantage imo to have that kind of two way solid matchup ability that deep in the lineup, and bottom six lines that can take the minutes, with a lot less tax on Kesler to play a dual score and shutdown role.

Another aspect of Raymond's game that does not get mentioned enough is his wrist shot. He seems to get it off in close to the body and has real mustard on it. Higgins to the 4th would mean Kassian on the top 6 which is where he has to be IMO. With Manny gone the FO circle is now a weakness rather than the stength of past years.

Your point was the the Canucks needed help up front last playoffs.

If two of your top 4 forwards aren't healthy, there's not much point dealing a guy like Luongo to remedy a short term, bad timing, season killing pair of injuries - and deals can't be cut at that point anyhow.

Your point was lost in the fact that the context of last year's playoffs aren't transferrable - do the Canucks need top 6 help when they're healthy in your opinion? If so, that's a different point entirely than the one you were making. Do you trade a goalie like Luongo for a return that is a reaction to an injury? Gillis doesn't appear to think in short terms like that.

The technicality of goaltending (Smurf47) of Schneider is beyond any mentor's ability. Mr. Know-it-all SmashianKassian swears by this ultimately perfect, flawless, young, contractually sound goaltender who cannot make a mistake.

(Luongo is pushing Schneider to be better. Take Luongo out, lose Schneider)

Archived