The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I wish they were both in Columbus... <_<

Do you see how good Smith is doing in Phoenix? In my opinion it has to do with the system. Bryzgalov looked like a superstar there and now Smith looks like a superstar. I don't think Bryzgalov is a bad goalie, I just think the Flyers don't have a good system.

Could you imagine Bryzgalov playing under Hitchcocks's system? That would be a scary thing.

Do you see how good Smith is doing in Phoenix? In my opinion it has to do with the system. Bryzgalov looked like a superstar there and now Smith looks like a superstar. I don't think Bryzgalov is a bad goalie, I just think the Flyers don't have a good system.

Could you imagine Bryzgalov playing under Hitchcocks's system? That would be a scary thing.

If not Brouwer, then who? I don't see what's wrong with him. He's big. He plays a very physical style which will help Schroeder. He skates well. He's fairly solid on defense and has offensive upside. He does have a larger cap hit than either Raymond or Higgins, but with the cap leaving the team in my proposal he could be fit in rather nicely.

Granted, with the Malhotra situation being as it now is, it has re-focused attention on the center position.

And Hamrlik is a cap/salary/contract dump. I believe Washington would want a bit of relief in return for the amount they are taking on. He would be gone at the end of the season when his contract was done.

regards,

G.

This fractious relationship; is it a true goalie controversy?

Does he dislike Hitchcock? I'm told he wears on players over a period, genius and winner or not.

Was he pushing for a new contract this off season and was knocked back? There could be something there I suppose? St Lou according to the Forbes report is the lowest revenue team in the league AND losing money. I doubt their new president would have been rewarding Halak with a Bryzgalov contract upon arrival. Hey, their tandem is signed this year and next (for less than Lou's real dollar pay) with what their market called the best tandem in the league.... I wouldn't overpay Halak either because he can fall back on last years save %leader in the league.

His first mandate HAS to be returning to the black. Not overpaying.

I'm not claiming to be a genius, but if St Lou were to part ways with Halak who has solid trade value, I'm guessing they want something to push them over the top (don't forget they have a pretty good team!) not an even more expensive goalie controversy...

But if they're seriously willing to dismantle their team by tossing us Patrick Berglund for Lou straight up (the post I was responding to), handing us exactly what we need, take on a 3rd goalie and an $6.7 mill per year payout while losing millions to solve (?) their conundrum I'm all for it...

Maybe there is a 3 way deal to be landed somehow, but i just don't see this one.

Halak and Stewart for Luongo.

Melanson can get back to fixing whatever has gone wrong for Jaro since he left Montreal (in fact there was an article that said Halak approached Melanson for help when STL was here last year).

Hitchcock had him as the starter and then Halak pulled the plug in the pregame skate. Reports started coming out that he just didn't want to play. There could be a fractious relationship there...

Sorry, I should have commented on this; not just a rebuttle more based on a different trade posted by someone else. My apologies.

Is there any reason to think we would get Stewart in 2009/10 from? He scored a ton, and is the 220 lb body we crave for our right side. Him and Kassian sound very menacing...

But Stewart has not thrived at all under Hitchcock, who's system and expectation is similar to AV's. The counter: we would get a great return re-trading Halak in summer after being offered insurance for a run and toying with Stewart is intriguing. Intriguing, but like with Kassian last year (who was out of form then) will that get us a cup this year? I'm saying that trade is not going down, but its interesting.

Halak and Stewart for Luongo.

I hadn't heard about Halak approaching Melanson, but all the reports I heard about Halak late last week were he was pushing to get back to playing and really wanted to start. The only thing that held him back was tweaking his groin again a little in warm up so he couldn't start.

St. Louis Blues: Jaroslav Halak re-injures groin in warmups

To St.Louis:

Luongo

Higgins

Connaughton

To Van:

Stewart

Rattie

--

Hitchcock would love Higgins' defensive play and a reliable forward. We get an inconsistent powerforward but with alot of upside and add more toughness to the lineup.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Stewart

Archived