The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Jake Allen's emergence as an NHLer complicates the Luongo deal. I mean now the Blues have 3 potential starters in Halak, Elliot and Allen. Teams that we view as in 'desperate need for goaltending' could sooner talk to the Blues, and their young goalies, rather than deal with us. We'll see where the dominoes fall, but I think the return on any one of these goalies would give us an idea of Luongo's worth.

Jake Allen's emergence as an NHLer complicates the Luongo deal. I mean now the Blues have 3 potential starters in Halak, Elliot and Allen. Teams that we view as in 'desperate need for goaltending' could sooner talk to the Blues, and their young goalies, rather than deal with us. We'll see where the dominoes fall, but I think the return on any one of these goalies would give us an idea of Luongo's worth.

I guess it depends how you look at it. Berglund and Elliot both help our team now, and in the future.

You could also say Berglund gives us a sure thing,where as a return package of something like Bjugstad, Petrovic, and a mid round pick guarantees nothing, doesn't help at all for the playoffs, and would probably also cost more.

As much as I want Bjugstad like a lot of other people here, I would rather take Berglund than wait 4 years to see if Bjugstad can even get to the point Berglunds at now if that offer was on the table.

I guess it depends how you look at it. Berglund and Elliot both help our team now, and in the future.

You could also say Berglund gives us a sure thing,where as a return package of something like Bjugstad, Petrovic, and a mid round pick guarantees nothing, doesn't help at all for the playoffs, and would probably also cost more.

As much as I want Bjugstad like a lot of other people here, I would rather take Berglund than wait 4 years to see if Bjugstad can even get to the point Berglunds at now if that offer was on the table.

I agree Lou is probably not a target for them.

I also believe they would not cough up Berglund, certainly not add the the first, perhaps because Lou is not that target. As much as we have this mythical pick, prospect and roster player concept of value...

But also because he is extremely valuable to their team! And would be to ours, probably so good (exactly what we need) that we should take it if it were in fact being offered. We're probably arguing a moot point; St Lou is no longer a contender if u take him off their line up.

I guess I am disagreeing with the assessment of Berglund's value.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like Berglund, just that if that's all we get for Luongo and also give up a 3rd for Elliot then it's not a good deal. They'd have to be offering more incentive for us to make that trade.

Berglund's a 40-50+ point guy right now with room to improve, and he's at a reasonable price, but he's not exactly worth Luongo straight up.

Elliot was very good last year splitting the workload with Halak behind a strong defensive team, but very poor this year, very poor in Colorado, and pretty poor again in Ottawa. The Sens absolutely killed Colorado in the trade when they got Anderson back for Elliot straight up, and I'd be hesitant to offer much for Elliot now.

Maybe more like this:

Berglund

Ian Cole

Elliot

1st

for

Luongo

Ballard

Raymond or Higgins

Jaden Schwartz can move to center for them, and Raymond or Higgins can take the left wing. Ballard can fill in Cole's spot and of course Luongo takes over in net.

We move Berglund between Booth and Kesler, add Cole in with Tanev and Elliot backs up. We get an extra 1st round pick to use in a deep draft.

St Louis has $20M in cap space, although an internal cap might limit what they want to spend, and Raymond or Higgins could be swapped with a prospect like Rodin/Grenier/Archibald if they wanted to keep costs down. Even then it feels like we move more because we have to do something with the cap next year, but we do get some good pieces back from St Louis.

But, I've already said I don't think St Louis would want to give away much to upgrade in net unless Halak goes down with a long term injury. Luongo just doesn't seem like a target for them.

I agree Lou is probably not a target for them.

I also believe they would not cough up Berglund, certainly not add the the first, perhaps because Lou is not that target. As much as we have this mythical pick, prospect and roster player concept of value...

But also because he is extremely valuable to their team! And would be to ours, probably so good (exactly what we need) that we should take it if it were in fact being offered. We're probably arguing a moot point; St Lou is no longer a contender if u take him off their line up.

I guess I am disagreeing with the assessment of Berglund's value.

St Louis isn't a contender if you take Berglund off their team? David Backes, Tj Oshie, David Perron, Chris Stewart, Vladimir Tarasenko, Andy McDonald , Alex Steen, Jaden Shwartz..... Not exactly a bunch of slouches, I think they could manage.

Why aren't we talking about Buffalo being in the picture?

I think they're getting sick of Miller and he has some value in a trade market. He only has this year and next year left. Miller would look good on the Oilers.

Then we can trade Luongo to the Sabres. They have some nice pieces that we could use. If I could add one roster player, I'd love to add Ott. Everyone here keeps bringing up Brouwer, but we all know we need a guy like Ott more than anything right now. The grit he would add and faceoff percentage would be huge. I guess it would all have to come down where Luongo wants to go and how bad he wants out.

When Gillis said, "we have a deal in place, we're just waitting for them to move a player" I'd have to think it would have to be something along the lines of a goalie getting moved first and it being a 3 way deal.

I would go hard for Ott if this scenario is a possibily and I think Gillis knows he needs a guy like Ott.

Why aren't we talking about Buffalo being in the picture?

I think they're getting sick of Miller and he has some value in a trade market. He only has this year and next year left. Miller would look good on the Oilers.

Then we can trade Luongo to the Sabres. They have some nice pieces that we could use. If I could add one roster player, I'd love to add Ott. Everyone here keeps bringing up Brouwer, but we all know we need a guy like Ott more than anything right now. The grit he would add and faceoff percentage would be huge. I guess it would all have to come down where Luongo wants to go and how bad he wants out.

When Gillis said, "we have a deal in place, we're just waitting for them to move a player" I'd have to think it would have to be something along the lines of a goalie getting moved first and it being a 3 way deal.

I would go hard for Ott if this scenario is a possibily and I think Gillis knows he needs a guy like Ott.

I am in the camp that believes we need to do more to be a serious play off threat, not just good enough to win the NW division.

When we went to the final;

We had (started) with Samuelsson instead of Booth. Well one reason we lost, and the real reason Mikael was let go is he was old and injury prone. But where he does not have Booth's athleticism, he was his equal in size, added substantial moxy and he was a RW which kept our dearth of talented left side speedsters free to get ice time. Net; I'm happy with Booth if we replace the RW or Kass stands back up to his play a few weeks ago.

We had Erhoff instead of Garrison. There may be a way to make Garrison as valuable. He is 220 lbs and can move bodies in front of the net which was also an important question when we lost to Boston. But there is no doubt Erhoff added flight to our game which made the rest of the team dangerous. Edler can score his points, but does not have the same ability to help us get the puck moving up ice. We still are, possibly, the top D in the league defensively (combined with goal tending). But missing Erhoff we are nowhere near the high flying top offensive, punishing PP team we were.

Net of the last paragraph; trade one of Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler or Ballard for a puck moving, right handed shot, right D. Gotta chuck in a goalie to get him; so be it! We also die the instant Bieksa, our only right handed shot of substance, gets hurt. We have to get better at moving the puck from the back end!

We had Torres and Manny instead of Schroeder and Higgins. Guys, Higgins may be a better player than Torres, but he is nowhere near as valuable. Torres would not just rock Thornton, he was big enough he could render him ineffective. We need that size and ability to match up back in our line up. I'm at odd's as to how, or whether we should replace Manny as Schroeder does have value.

We had Tambelini instead of Higgins. Well, lets call this one a win and a hint as to where Higgins should really be playing if we scored another big forward! Ah, we would be lucky to have a guy like Higgins be able to step up from the 4th line but thats the position we need to be in!

Net of the whole conversation?

Lou + Ballard for Mike Green and Mo Jo (as much O as Schroeder + 20 lbs and 5 inches and more potential). Let coach decide who decides to be in the rotation by their play amongst the two. U guys debate whether we get a 1st as well; I want to win now. Mike Green instantly makes us that high flying team which scores, his value is lower, perhaps he's likely expendable with Carlson and Orlov and they desperately need a goalie. I've watched 5 Wash games in 2 weeks, and goal tending is clearly a factor! Add a big RW at the deadline covered by the cap hit of whoever (inevitably) is hurt.

Archived