The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I am in the camp that believes we need to do more to be a serious play off threat, not just good enough to win the NW division.

When we went to the final;

We had (started) with Samuelsson instead of Booth. Well one reason we lost, and the real reason Mikael was let go is he was old and injury prone. But where he does not have Booth's athleticism, he was his equal in size, added substantial moxy and he was a RW which kept our dearth of talented left side speedsters free to get ice time. Net; I'm happy with Booth if we replace the RW or Kass stands back up to his play a few weeks ago.

We had Erhoff instead of Garrison. There may be a way to make Garrison as valuable. He is 220 lbs and can move bodies in front of the net which was also an important question when we lost to Boston. But there is no doubt Erhoff added flight to our game which made the rest of the team dangerous. Edler can score his points, but does not have the same ability to help us get the puck moving up ice. We still are, possibly, the top D in the league defensively (combined with goal tending). But missing Erhoff we are nowhere near the high flying top offensive, punishing PP team we were.

Net of the last paragraph; trade one of Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler or Ballard for a puck moving, right handed shot, right D. Gotta chuck in a goalie to get him; so be it! We also die the instant Bieksa, our only right handed shot of substance, gets hurt. We have to get better at moving the puck from the back end!

We had Torres and Manny instead of Schroeder and Higgins. Guys, Higgins may be a better player than Torres, but he is nowhere near as valuable. Torres would not just rock Thornton, he was big enough he could render him ineffective. We need that size and ability to match up back in our line up. I'm at odd's as to how, or whether we should replace Manny as Schroeder does have value.

We had Tambelini instead of Higgins. Well, lets call this one a win and a hint as to where Higgins should really be playing if we scored another big forward! Ah, we would be lucky to have a guy like Higgins be able to step up from the 4th line but thats the position we need to be in!

Net of the whole conversation?

Lou + Ballard for Mike Green and Mo Jo (as much O as Schroeder + 20 lbs and 5 inches and more potential). Let coach decide who decides to be in the rotation by their play amongst the two. U guys debate whether we get a 1st as well; I want to win now. Mike Green instantly makes us that high flying team which scores, his value is lower, perhaps he's likely expendable with Carlson and Orlov and they desperately need a goalie. I've watched 5 Wash games in 2 weeks, and goal tending is clearly a factor! Add a big RW at the deadline covered by the cap hit of whoever (inevitably) is hurt.

My heart skipped a beat of excitement!

It might not be smart; call it an emotional decision... :rolleyes:

But hell yes!

Not that Jersey would tho. Lou (as in Lamorillo) is not the emotional type. Gotta pay creedence and respect to the elders (Brodeur) ya-kno!

Just for the sake of fun...

Would you do this trade?

To NJ:

Luongo

To Van:

Brodeur

2nd 2013

I tried carefully not to undermine the value or importance of Garrison. I am in the camp of believers in his regard.

I just don't think we should keep 4 (ok 3 plus great 4th depth guy) top two pairing left side D! I cannot comment specifically on Green as to play off's as I have until recently been a Canucks snob. But I did watch him play a few times 3 years ago, for team Canada as well and even now listen to OVI call him unquestionably their best D. Here's a point; I don't think you can call Ballard a play off performer either!

To me a healthy Green has the speed and ability to carry the puck out of our end which, admit it or not, we lack. He has the proven potential to make a team a jugernaut scoring team and best power play in the league. He has 76 and 73 point Plus 39 and 24 point seasons under his belt. Add to that, he plays the right side so swapping Ballard means all our guys play their natural position; I'm sure you have noticed that Ballard, Edler and even Garrison have not looked great on the right side yet?

Edler/Green Tell me this would not kick start our PP, which is at a middle of pack 18.5%, or the Twins???

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

That has got to be the most exciting D line up we would ever have seen in the history of the Canucks to date? Plus MoJo gives us great potential. Both teams can handle the cap, even real dollars pretty much wash considering a MoJo re-sign and Washinton has other centres and right D.

If Green is in the doghouse; here is our opportunity!

Edit: Oh also; sure Boston and LA won with the best defence. The true powerhouse teams that win year after year (see Detroit, Colorado, The 70's Hab's) also had high octane scoring. It's worth mentioning Boston had the second best offense the year they won and are still contenders. We can jump to a whole different level?

Dbl edit: Hamhuis FTR is the last of the guys I would trade. The point was we had very good bodies even if we move one left D.

Mike Green isn't a playoff player.

We don't need to replace that puck moving loss of Ehrhoff. In a sense I think Garrison (If he can play to his capabilities, and he has been getting better) Might be a greater benefit than Ehrhoff.

Simply because, if you look at Boston and LA, the strength of there teams was goaltending and defense, the offensive teams that relied on offense to win games (last year) like us, Philly, Pittsburgh, were all out early in the playoffs. Garrison is a big body, that is mobile and is solid defensively, like u said he can move bodies and it is really a huge asset that alot say we missed. So in some sense, we get an upgrade there. Ehrhoff's offensive IQ is something we don't have, Edler puts up his same points well bringing a better allround game, but not in the same fashion. Ballard has potential in that I believe he has the same IQ, but not the same offensive skillset (aside from the speed/skating)

Basically this team is fine. In no way, shape or fashion should trading Hamhuis ever even be a consideration (as things began to turn south in the SCF when we lost him) Edler shouldn't be moved either, skillwise he is our best Dman and can make a monster impact when at his best, Ballard is built for the playoffs IMO, great shot blocker, plays with some toughness, grit and durability. And Bieksa, well we all know what he can bring.

Really the defense is now a major strength of this team IMO, I really think that the Garrison/Bieksa duo can be a great pair, we have seen flashes (atleast I have) of something really valuable there. Ballard/Tanev have been nothing short of outstanding, and I like the prospect of having our top 2 guys on the top pair, And really once they get adjusted to each other and Edler gets more adjusted to the right side. There styles should blend well together. Rolling 3 pairs without worry is something we haven't had before and is something alot of teams probably envy. It will keep us more fresh and healthier as a group in the long run.

I disagree on Raffi, at times he can be great, he can be physical. But he plays on that edge and can cross it in a big way. And it is something that happens. Or he can completely shy away from the physical game and be invisible Plus with the way he has changed his game, who knows if he would bring the same physical element. I like what we got. To me Kassian is his replacement BTW, not Higgins.

This team has added alot of size, and really looking at how the playoffs have been going in recent years, where goaltending and defense is so heavily relied on, I think moving away from the skill and offensive game that guys like Ehrhoff and Sammuelsson brought (since they lacked size, intensity to battle and grit) aswell as the risky, dangerous & streaky game Raffi brought and moving towards size, skill, strength, smarts and power that guys like Booth, Garrison and Kassian have brought, is really a huge asset for this team moving forward into the playoffs IMO.

Edit: Sorry for the gigantic wall of text. (I am on a roll with these in our conversations) but this one has alot of substance, and I found yours worth the read. Hopefully mine is too. :P

I tried carefully not to undermine the value or importance of Garrison. I am in the camp of believers in his regard.

I just don't think we should keep 4 (ok 3 plus great 4th depth guy) top two pairing left side D! I cannot comment specifically on Green as to play off's as I have until recently been a Canucks snob. But I did watch him play a few times 3 years ago, for team Canada as well and even now listen to OVI call him unquestionably their best D. Here's a point; I don't think you can call Ballard a play off performer either!

To me a healthy Green has the speed and ability to carry the puck out of our end which, admit it or not, we lack. He has the proven potential to make a team a jugernaut scoring team and best power play in the league. He has 76 and 73 point Plus 39 and 24 point seasons under his belt. Add to that, he plays the right side so swapping Ballard means all our guys play their natural position; I'm sure you have noticed that Ballard, Edler and even Garrison have not looked great on the right side yet?

Edler/Green Tell me this would not kick start our PP, which is at a middle of pack 18.5%, or the Twins???

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

That has got to be the most exciting D line up we would ever have seen in the history of the Canucks to date? Plus MoJo gives us great potential. Both teams can handle the cap, even real dollars pretty much wash considering a MoJo re-sign and Washinton has other centres and right D.

If Green is in the doghouse; here is our opportunity!

Edit: Oh also; sure Boston and LA won with the best defence. The true powerhouse teams that win year after year (see Detroit, Colorado, The 70's Hab's) also had high octane scoring. It's worth mentioning Boston had the second best offense the year they won and are still contenders. We can jump to a whole different level?

Dbl edit: Hamhuis FTR is the last of the guys I would trade. The point was we had very good bodies even if we move one left D.

Lets skip good offensive players that are also good defensively like Orr, Niedermeyer or Lidstrom.

Paul Coffee won how many cups? It's not that big a stretch; youngest D to score 30 goals and only one of 7 to do so and last guy before him > Paul Coffey.

Runner up Norris, first team all NHL...

I just don't think we need a Green type of player in the playoffs. It would be great to have him but at the price it would likely cost I don't see the worth. I don't personally they are heavily interested in Lu as I hope, and I think the asking price would be Edler 1 for 1. Especially now as he is there best D-man and is playing great. And I think Edler is better. That's not something I am interested in.

Green is great offensively, but it is the other areas that worry me in the playoffs, he is a good skater, and good puck mover but how great is he defensively? Is he good against bigger opposition? Does he bring any sort of grit or toughness or battle in the tough areas? In regards to Ballard, he does bring that, he is brings elements that suit the playoffs. Scratch off his one bad year (because for the majority of his time here now he has been the player we expected) He suits the playoffs well, he was great in last years playoffs, and he is playing great now. So it is normal to expect a him to play like he is in the 2012 post season, and that's likely what he is to bring. Making him a solid playoff player for us.

I don't think we need him really, we actually have alot of PP options, having the RH shot is nice but having a defense composed of LH isn't bad either if one can make the jump. Boston's top pair was Chara and Siedeberg, 2 LHers. NJ's defense had mostly LHers, like us they had 4 LHers and 2 RHers that were regular players in the finals (Fayne and Zidlicky) LA had 2 RHers and all LHers too. (Voynov, and Doughty)

I just don't think it is an issue. If Edler can move over which I think he can, then we should be fine. And really in short my logic behind not seeing Green as the need you do, is the same as the reasons I said Garrison might benefit us more than Ehrhoff.

Cause I don't think things will magically change this year, I think the team that gets great goaltending and plays solid defense is going to win, and now we finally have that big core of guys to match-up with the other teams. Which should make our added offense a major advantage over the teams that don't have both & can't play any style of game like we can.

Edit: sorry for major wall of text again, I'll work on cutting back.

Ironic you jump in with that after stating you're wondering why this thread is even here still.

The reason we have a pinned thread to discuss a potential Luongo trade is because we have two top goalies and only room for one going forward. One has said he'd accept a trade and other teams have inquired. People tend to discuss things in the realm of possibility, let alone as likely as this eventually is, so there is a thread (imagine that!) pinned to the top of the trades/rumours/signings forum to do just that.

If you have something significant enough to warrant it's own thread, go ahead, post it on any player you like as it would make just as much sense as this one.

If you feel like that's out of line, report the thread, me, or anyone else you want to the mods so they can handle it. Otherwise, if you want to post in a Luongo discussion thread, try and keep up with everyone else and stay on topic.

And just so it's clear gifs without any other comment in half your recent posts doesn't qualify for much in the way of on topic.

Archived