The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

So I like to post gifs, I try to make people smile this isn't North Korea.

Relax man, drink a beer.

I believe MG in a recient interview stated he probably wasn't going to make a deal until the summer.

That is kinda what I am getting at, this thread has been on life support for 8 months now.

So much can change between now and July. Luongo could be injured over the summer, Cory could suck the rest of the year

who knows

As far as I am concerned meeting adjourned till the summer.

I tried carefully not to undermine the value or importance of Garrison. I am in the camp of believers in his regard.

I just don't think we should keep 4 (ok 3 plus great 4th depth guy) top two pairing left side D! I cannot comment specifically on Green as to play off's as I have until recently been a Canucks snob. But I did watch him play a few times 3 years ago, for team Canada as well and even now listen to OVI call him unquestionably their best D. Here's a point; I don't think you can call Ballard a play off performer either!

To me a healthy Green has the speed and ability to carry the puck out of our end which, admit it or not, we lack. He has the proven potential to make a team a jugernaut scoring team and best power play in the league. He has 76 and 73 point Plus 39 and 24 point seasons under his belt. Add to that, he plays the right side so swapping Ballard means all our guys play their natural position; I'm sure you have noticed that Ballard, Edler and even Garrison have not looked great on the right side yet?

Edler/Green Tell me this would not kick start our PP, which is at a middle of pack 18.5%, or the Twins???

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

Ah well, we disagree.

Not that Green is as good as Coffey (he's not, I admit exagerating to make a point); but that type of player would be a major benefit. Much more than having four guys to fill two top pairing left D roles. And a guy who can get 30 goals, 75 plus points or a Norris nomination is not chump change. Wake me up when one of our guys does that.

We were a top shut down team before Garrison arrived (not that he is who I would trade), but we are not the same offence without Erhoff. And Green > Erhoff.

I don't see the stretch behind the logic; but so be it.

I'm sorry, Green isn't anywhere near the same category as those guys. Like not even remotely close.

And he isn't the same player that had that great season, he has switched it to a more all round style, but I just don't see him as a need at the price he would command.

Ah well, we disagree.

Not that Green is as good as Coffey (he's not, I admit exagerating to make a point); but that type of player would be a major benefit. Much more than having four guys to fill two top pairing left D roles. And a guy who can get 30 goals, 75 plus points or a Norris nomination is not chump change. Wake me up when one of our guys does that.

We were a top shut down team before Garrison arrived (not that he is who I would trade), but we are not the same offence without Erhoff. And Green > Erhoff.

I don't think your logic is a stretch at all really. I just don't think we need to go back to the style we played in 2011 to win a cup, especially at the price Green would cost (Would likely ask for Edler 1 for 1)

Oh well, we can just agree to disagree. (And I agree Green > Ehrhoff)

Ah well, we disagree.

You and Smashian have put up excellent points!

Putting playoff hopes on Edler is a gamble as he has not shown consistancy as yet. Going after Green would be an option with a possible hugh upside. I agree with your conclusions on the left side overload.

Van's two biggest trading chips are IMO Lou and Ballard. The need is a Right side Dman, a 2RW and depending on what comes back from the first two deals a possible 3C. All the above have to have a physicality component. Not to much to ask. :(

Or we could do nothing and wait until Garrison is finally moved over to the right side of Edler.

I know it seems like we could be dissatisfied with our D corps right now but most teams would love to have our problems. Sure, if Ballard could be moved for a puck rushing RH d-man then I'd be all for it but that opportunity may not materialize.

What I'd like the team to consider would be demoting one of Barker or Alberts and picking up Brule to spell Weise as a 4th line RW. What he gives up in muscle he adds in centre ice versatility and skill.

Christian Ehrhoff isn't a playoff player either. His defensive liabilities are more exposed, and teams are able to shut him down with a better system. Outside of two games where he benefited from Kesler's heroics in Nashville for 5 points, he was rarely effective offensively.

It's hard to tell how Garrison will be, as he was playing injured in his first playoff series, and missed a few games...but 3 points in 4 games is a pretty darn good start.

Archived