The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I have to admit that it was hard watching Lou not play tonight. He's a #1 goalie that deserves to be a starter somewhere else, but he still supports the team as well as anyone else. Knowing he is the secondary guy and going to be sitting a lot of games must be tough on him. Class act.

Whenever something happens I hope the fans always cheer him. He was one game away from bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver.

On that note GET R done MG

I have to admit that it was hard watching Lou not play tonight. He's a #1 goalie that deserves to be a starter somewhere else, but he still supports the team as well as anyone else. Knowing he is the secondary guy and going to be sitting a lot of games must be tough on him. Class act.

Whenever something happens I hope the fans always cheer him. He was one game away from bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver.

Kings says:

- Kassian sucks

- Schneids should have been traded long ago

- the 2nd line is terrible

Reality says:

- Kassian gets 3 goals in 3 games, gives long time rival a concussion, earns 1st line spot.

- Schneids puts on excellent preformence in back to back games.

- Raymond with 3 goals, Schroeder with an assist and +2

Even more reason to never put stock into what King says.

The final countdown to a trade has begun. No point in sitting him on the bench much longer. Won't benefit him and won't benefit us either, even if it brings a bit of extra security to have him around in case of injury or meltdown.

The Washington option sounds interesting. They have a good mix of talent, and will move someone soon if they can't get their game on track. One of the best things would be that either Holtby or Neuvirth possibly coming back in a trade. Both more than capable as backup, and solid guys who can step up in case of injury. And even give a good push for more minutes and challenge Schneider and keep him motivated. Sounds way more exciting that some potential Scrivens/ Reimer/ Theodore / Clemmensen etc that could potentially come back in a trade.

I made a post similair to this, but I want to evaluate on it here.

Kassian is playing great, our depth is stepping up, our bottom pair of defence has been our best pair, and schneider's had two straight solid games.

This is going to help GMMG so much. It's proving that he doesn't NEED anything. I'm super happy about this.

If this was like two weeks ago, when everyone thought we'd flunk hard, and we needed a bottom pair defenceman, a top 6 power forward, and a 3rd line centre, then our return wouldn't have been as strong.

GMMG I've loved everything you've done for this team, and right now it's your chance to make a real great deal while teams like Philly, and Washington are struggling

With that being said, I seriously think we need to pursue prospects/picks, and if we're really still stuck after that, we can move those assets + whatever else.

:towel: in GMMG we trust.

He was back??

Must have missed it.

My guess is he is just staying away till Kassian cools down, the flaming he would get on here would be immense.

And I'm just waiting to pull out my flamethower out and drench him when he gets back.

I miss the guy, can't wait to hear what incredibly stupid lengths he will go to to try to justify his opinion on Kass.

4 games in to the season and his opinion is discredited ? I personally rather read what king has to say then the other 90 percent of CDC and there redundant opinions that are made from one perpective ( Luongos value for one )

Your so desperate to try and make some point that your more knowledgable then king that after a couple guys play a couple good game that you think its worthy enough to show him up well guess what ! try making a point after these guys show up for 20 games and then maybe you will have some credibility

I agree that King was pretty quick to write off Kassian as a bust, but you are as quick as King to respond to the vast majority of proposals with 'they'll never move Couturier, Nonis will never move Gardiner, they'll never move Alzner, Tallon is not going to move Bjugstad'...etc, etc.

What is Luongo's value then? Judging by those comments, there's not enough margin between the return and what we have to make much sense of moving him.

There is a major difference between Alzner and Couturier/Gardiner.

Alzner is a defensmen in his prime who is that teams #1 and the guy they rely on. Would we move hamhuis? No, exact same situation there.

Couturier is a rare commodity, one of the best young centers in the game, if I was Philly he would be untouchable barring a drastic overpayment, Gardiner I think is fair value wise for us to ask for but judging by what Toronto fans and judging by the comments from Toronto managment I just don't see it as a realistic possibility.

Also is is clear to me Bjugstad isn't happening, I don't know a ton about him but it seems clear Bjugstad has been the target for MG since negotiations begain and Tallon hasn't budged and I don't see him budging off that stance.

Luongo's value is pretty high, he is an all-star player, but when making trades there are some players you just don't want to give up, would you give up Kassian for say, a good top 6 forward? I wouldn't. not that the top 6 forward isn't fair asking price but you have to consider how much the team covets the player and in the case of guys like Gardiner and Couturier that makes it extra hard to acquire when the team covets the player that highly.

News: Enjoy reading both yours, & Smash's ideas on this potential deal-but I do agree with this analysis of yours. It's like a lengthy chess match, where Gillis has the upper-hand/material advantage. He just has to play it through to it's expected conclusion. One of these teams WILL cave, & deal Van one of these key, young ELC studs.

You can bluff/posture in poker-not in chess.

I understand that Alzner is a top pairing blueliner in Washington, that the Flyers like Couturier, and the Leafs overhype Gardiner (who cares anyhow, he's not worth it or a good fit).

The thing is - the Canucks don't need to move Hamhius, don't need to move Kassian - there is no weakness in the lineup to justify moving either of them - and that would be the point, and the difference that makes the question 'would we want to move Hamhius' pretty much irrelevent. Those teams are all gambling with their goaltenders, while Luongo is more valuable than any of the young players in question. That is why someone will budge and give Gillis what he wants, whereas if someone were calling asking for Hamhius or Kassian, they'd be in a relatively far greater position of weakness.

News: Enjoy reading both yours, & Smash's ideas on this potential deal-but I do agree with this analysis of yours. It's like a lengthy chess match, where Gillis has the upper-hand/material advantage. He just has to play it through to it's expected conclusion. One of these teams WILL cave, & deal Van one of these key, young ELC studs.

You can bluff/posture in poker-not in chess.

Made my reply.

There are some players on ELC that are available but the real high end (Couturier, exc) ones aren't going to be available unless we want to overpay, and overpay but quite a bit.

There are a lot of moving parts/ variables here to consider. Say it comes down to teams like TBay, Wash, Flor & Philly. Should any of them suffer 'tender injuries, they could overpay out of necessity. It's likely a few of these noted will be scrapping for a PO spot. Also, the ownership/GM-philosophies on deals is quite different, even within this small group.

Also think a lot of this comes down to Luongo's play. If he deals out 2 or 3 beautiful starts, it could expedite the whole shebang. If he plays poorly, this will all probably be extended to the deadline in April.

Archived