The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

For all the people here who think we're going to get a great return for Lu...:

1. Lu asked to be traded. And, then he went on television and told the world that. You can say 'he didn't ask to be traded, he only said he'd do what's best for the team' - but that's pure crap. When you have an NTC and tell your team you wouldn't mind being traded - that's a trade-request. If he was doing what's best for the team, he wouldn't have asked for a trade - and if he did, he wouldn't have made that public. You'll also remember that just recently, he told a reporter that he doesn't want to be here long-term. When other teams know a player wants out, they don't offer anything of value for him. They know we have to get rid of him, so they can sit back and wait for us to get desperate. And, that's exactly what they have been doing.

2. Lu is, right now, our backup goaltender. Name me one other backup who was traded for a massive package of top players, prospects AND picks. Why would other teams trade away their future for a goalie who just got badly outplayed by a rookie/sophmore the last two years?

3. Lu has a massive contract, that has him playing into his mid-40's. That's a massive negative in any trade. Notice how Gillis mentioned that every team that offers us anything for Lu tacks on a massive contract that we'll have to buy-out?

4. It's been reported (now by multiple hockey journalists, most recently Tony Gallagher on Team1040) that Lu refused to waive his NTC to go to Toronto at the draft, so that he could give Florida more time to up their offer. When a player tries to force a team to trade him to a specific team (or very short list of teams), his original team never gets much in return. Florida knows Lu is trying to force a trade there AND they don't need him, so they aren't going to pull the trigger on a deal unless they absolutely rape us. Until Lu gives us a large list of possible teams, we'll be stuck with a bad deal.

The only thing going in our favour on this is the fact that Gillis is one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL. But, he can't work miracles. So, don't expect a top-6 forward, a top-tier prospect and a 1st round draft pick. That's insane. We'd be lucky to get much more than one of those...

true , but teams know if you're in the hole 10-12 games in your may be f'd. its a 48 game season, 12 games is the equivalent of 20 in a usual year...a bad first 20..you think you'd make the playoffs? doubt it...

its a sprint bud, every game is funding the ticket to the playoffs....can't afford to have a bad stretch.

i think there will be alot of calls for Lou tomorrow/monday and my guess is he's gone by the end of next week. No one wants to wait till game 12 to find out oh boy, we need to make a move, as by then, it may very well be too late.

1. Yes

2. Just because he is a 'backup' in vancouver doesn't mean he is a backup - this is an absurd argument offered by trolls, leaf fans who want him for a bag of pucks, and weak minds. Your logic is absolute nonsense, anyone who understands hockey cannot make this argument and want to be viewed as intelligent. He is a top ten goalie and was top ten amongst starters in save% last year, two years ago if the nucks won the cup he would have likely won the conn smythe, so what you are saying is just plain stupid.

3. Again, stupid. Massive contract? 5.3 for a top ten goalie? thats actually a bargain. And if he can play till he's 38 which is likely since he's never sustained a major injury, then he's getting paid 2 ml as a backup for 2 more years, and if not you buy him out. The REASON THE CBA REMOVED HIS TYPE OF CONTRACT WAS NOT BECAUSE ITS UNFAVOURABLE!!!. common sense here bud, again a false argument.

4. He's publicly said he's open to other places but likely doesn't want Edm/CBJ which I can understand, and we should do our best within reason to get him somewhere he wants to play, given all he's given to this franchise.

5. Washinton, Toronto, Florida, NYI all say hi in terms of needing a goalie, not sure if you're so right on anything here :)

Try harder thinking a bit more next time before your spew sillyness..

Talk about spewing sillyness.

There is a buyout period after this season and after next season, so 4 years down the road you cannot buy a player out. It is the 5,3 million cap hit for the next 10 years is the problem with Lu's contract.

I think we need something to help us now as well.

I'm still not totally comfortable with the amount of grit in our lineup. Sure it's fine for the regular season, but come playoff time it likely won't be.

I say Brouwer has to be included in any deal with Washington. We need the 1a/1b and 3a/3b type of depth to go deep again.

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian (1A)

Booth - Kesler - Burrows (1B)

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen (3A)

Higgins - Manny - Lappy (3B)

Vopatti - Ebbett - Weise (4)

That's not good enough 1A/1B, 3A/3B?

Not sure where Brouwer fits myself, is he better than Hansen/Raymond? Likely not. Would be adding unneccisary assets to the 4th line

Even to go a step further..

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)

Garrison - Edler (1B)

Ballard - Tanev (2)

Schneider (1A)

Luongo (1A)

I like our depth :bigblush:

Vopatti - Ebbett - Weise (4th)

Not sure where Brouwer fits myself, is he better than Hansen/Raymond? Likely not. Would be adding unneccisary assets to the 4th line

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)

Garrison - Edler (1B)

Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)

Luongo (1A)

Vopatti - Ebbett - Weise (4th)

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)

Garrison - Edler (1B)

Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)

Luongo (1A)

Doubt Schroeder makes it for full time NHL duty in his 1st season. Especially when cast in a 3rd line roll. So you bump Lappy back to the middle and Brouwer takes the wing. And yes hes better than both, a big body who uses his size and can pot 20g and close to 40pts hes a very nice player who can run up and down your line up. Also gives you another power forward look with the Twins if Zack runs into some rough spots which he will.

Doubt Schroeder makes it for full time NHL duty in his 1st season. Especially when cast in a 3rd line roll. So you bump Lappy back to the middle and Brouwer takes the wing. And yes hes better than both, a big body who uses his size and can pot 20g and close to 40pts hes a very nice player who can run up and down your line up. Also gives you another power forward look with the Twins if Zack runs into some rough spots which he will.

Archived