The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

As per some of the above comments, I definitely think we need more grit in the lineup. If it wasn't for the refs actually calling penalties, we would have lost the Anaheim game.

We all know how that went during the Boston series. I would prefer a team that can win regardless of how the game is called.

Trade Raymond soon while his value is a little higher and open up a roster spot. We need more guys who are useful even if they aren't scoring.... at least in my opinion.

I think you may need a little brush up on the "sell high, buy low" principle.

We have seen a whole lot of Raymond over the years and he has had fairly limited success. If he isn't scoring, he is of no use to the team at all... we actually have two players like that already in our top 6 and they both have the last name Sedin. Thankfully they are players that actually score all the time, Raymond will never be in that class and there will always be long stretches where he is of no use on the ice... especially considering he would be on the 3rd line in a healthy roster.

While he is on a high, you get something that complements our core better. Maybe read the rationale in my post that you quoted.

So let me see if I understand this:

We couldn't trade Mason Raymond last year because he wasn't doing well; we can't trade him this year because he's playing too well.

Two years ago leading up to the Olympics, we couldn't trade Pavol Demitra because he wasn't playing well and wouldn't get us much in return, then he went to the Olympics and we couldn't trade him when he got back because he played so well and we had to keep him because of this......................so when can we ever trade someone? I though you were supposed to buy low and sell high............e.g. trade someone who is overperforming so you get top value for him.

Well, then you are just plain wrong.

We lost in the last two playoffs because our players were pushed around and punished to the point they stopped making plays and started getting rid of the puck as soon as they could. We didn't score because our forwards were spending all their time with their heads on a swivel avoiding hits rather than looking for scoring chances.

I'm kind of disappointed about some of the trade proposals in this thread, after that dominant performance last night I was riding a high, but you all seem to think we need to revamp the roster.

We are extremely deep. At this point we do not need roster players, if we have secondary scoring like we do now without Kesler or Booth in the lineup, on top of having a strong D core, I don't really see a place where we need to improve. I say keep Luongo in the shortened season, it adds greatly to the stability of this roster, when our back up plays the rest of the team doesn't have to compensate.

We don't need another left d (Gardiner), as we have 5 that are more than capable. We don't need another centre (Johansson), as he would be forced into a third line role behind Sedin and Kesler. We don't need another winger, as the options we have with Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Raymond, Kassian, and Booth are plentiful. In all honesty I can't see how a rookie or young player from a worse team crack our roster.

I also don't like the idea of messing with the chemistry we have in the locker room right now. Every one knows their role, and if we were to acquire someone that could bump one of our current guys down the depth chart I feel that hurts the composition of our roster. For example, last year with the Hodgson trade and the acquisition of Pahlsson, we moved from having 3 scoring lines to 2 and a checking line. Trying to construct a checking line with 20 games left in the season, I felt hurt us badly heading into the playoffs - where we needed secondary scoring.

So let's not trade Luongo for anything that could damage our current composition, trade him for prospects and picks. We will have to get under the cap next year anyway, might as well start with some potential ELCs.

You are correct, GMDT does not trade away young players, especially for a position he isn't terribly weak in.

He got bend over with Huet so he is pretty reluctant with big goalie contracts.

You would be stressed to find any GM willing to part with grade A prospects for anything but grade A prospects.

The Value of the ELC of a talented player is far greater than a short term fix with a big contract.

The days of Milbury are over, people don't throw prospects and draft picks at Elite players in the 30+ range.

Well, then you are just plain wrong.

We lost in the last two playoffs because our players were pushed around and punished to the point they stopped making plays and started getting rid of the puck as soon as they could. We didn't score because our forwards were spending all their time with their heads on a swivel avoiding hits rather than looking for scoring chances.

Also, your logic saying that Raymond is unproven kind of defeats your own point about him being untradeable. You are arguing out of both sides of your mouth on that one.

You also need to spend some time reading and comprehending the posts that you quote. You say that Raymond is more valuable to us than to other teams... as I already pointed out (and as most folks are aware) we have a couple of non-physical players already in our top 6, so another much less skilled one is not actually of more use to us than other teams. He will be even less use when he is shuffled down to the 3rd line when Booth/Kesler return.

Kassian has taken Raymond's top 6 role and is likely to keep it for most of the season, if he slows down scoring... he still serves a very useful purpose on the ice.

I didn't say they didn't exert effort... Just that they were too scared to focus on making plays.

It was evident in a big stretch against Anaheim last night as well. Our defence rushed getting the pucks off their sticks in the D zone to be ready to spin away from hits. Our forwards dumped the puck from the neutral zone to avoid taking punishment along the boards. We win games like that when the refs call it tight and we end up with a lot of power plays. We lose games like that when the calls aren't made.

It isn't something that is unique to the Canucks... it is why teams love big bruising players, especially defencemen. It is a big reason a guy like Willie Mitchell often has a very good +/-. He makes skilled forwards worry about their health more than making the best pass possible. It is just how hockey is played...

I'm kind of disappointed about some of the trade proposals in this thread, after that dominant performance last night I was riding a high, but you all seem to think we need to revamp the roster.

We are extremely deep. At this point we do not need roster players, if we have secondary scoring like we do now without Kesler or Booth in the lineup, on top of having a strong D core, I don't really see a place where we need to improve. I say keep Luongo in the shortened season, it adds greatly to the stability of this roster, when our back up plays the rest of the team doesn't have to compensate.

We don't need another left d (Gardiner), as we have 5 that are more than capable. We don't need another centre (Johansson), as he would be forced into a third line role behind Sedin and Kesler. We don't need another winger, as the options we have with Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Raymond, Kassian, and Booth are plentiful. In all honesty I can't see how a rookie or young player from a worse team crack our roster.

I also don't like the idea of messing with the chemistry we have in the locker room right now. Every one knows their role, and if we were to acquire someone that could bump one of our current guys down the depth chart I feel that hurts the composition of our roster. For example, last year with the Hodgson trade and the acquisition of Pahlsson, we moved from having 3 scoring lines to 2 and a checking line. Trying to construct a checking line with 20 games left in the season, I felt hurt us badly heading into the playoffs - where we needed secondary scoring.

So let's not trade Luongo for anything that could damage our current composition, trade him for prospects and picks. We will have to get under the cap next year anyway, might as well start with some potential ELCs.

Dumping pucks and avoiding hits are strategic maneuvers to avoid loss of morale and to "sneak into the opponents' zone" to gain possession. It is true the Canucks lack the skill level, compared to those of other NHL teams; however, that does not mean the alternative strategy they are using to gain Presidents' Trophy-quality puck possession is a way to avoid hits for fear of becoming bruised and injured by other players.

Isn't it true the Canucks have a unique way of scoring? Hockey isn't just about hits and strength; it's also about puckhandling and creativity, hence the Sedins' way of scoring, which has made the entire team productive for the past few years.

With Schneider solid in net and Canucks' defence and offence refined, don't you think we could easily beat Boston, despite having Rask or the ego-minded Thomas?

dean-lombardijpg-4a51f5c74767ecea.jpg

scotthowson2007nhlheadshotsmvshtvd8yrql-e1340471843679.jpg?w=282

Luongo (NTC) will waive (NTC), therefore (NTC) relatively irrelevent.

Theodore (UFA/NTC) has been ok, but Theodore (UFA/36) may not re-sign/be re-signed in Florida next season. Is Clemmenson a starter? Clemmenson (no NTC/35) could also be moved. Markstrom (22) is not a sure thing, isn't NHL ready, and is injury prone (recurring knee problems). I love Eddie Lack (25), but it's still too early to determine that he is a future NHL starter - likewise with Markstrom (2-5-1) - not really tested as a NHL backup yet, let alone ready to be pencilled in as a starter.

Archived