The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I say wait and if Higgins doesn't pick it up, and Raymond plays the way he has, maybe offer Higgins for Clutterbuck.

To Minnesota: Chris Higgins, Kevin Connaution

To Vancouver: Cal Clutterbuck, Tyler Graovac

2 birds with 1 stone for us, as we would bring in more energy in physicality in Clutterbuck aswell as Tyler Graovac who has been playing very well with Brendan Gaunce.

They get Higgins who aside from this slump has been very good for us, and it would add more scoring perhaps in the area Clutterbuck would play, with still maintain some grit and two way play. And then a defensemen (which is probably the weakest part of their organization) who will likely be capable of cracking there line-up next year.

As for us we can target Dimitry Orlov in a Luongo trade to Washington and that would give us an upgrade on Connaution for next year.

Truth. For all the time spent ripping Gallagher and Botchford here in Van, we're still cowed into hating the Leafs by CBC and the TO media with their blowhard opinions. The team on the ice today and this season has been competent if not excellent, and watching Carlyle patrol the bench was impressive after years of Wilson. Burke is gone, and much as we (I'd) like to see Nonis cough up every decent prospect for Lu, he's not caving to pressure.

Toronto might be making the first serious effort at a turnaround in years. Personally I don't want to be one of the opposing fans hating them blindly, but I'm not surprised others here are. As always though, please try to think critically.

That won't get the deal done.

The whole deal is prognasticated on whether Raymond continues this and if Higgins picks it up, cause if not that would leave him expendable with the play of Kassian, Raymond and Schroeder. Even with a healthy line-up he is on the 4th line.

Plus he is an upcoming UFA so I doubt we re-sign him with the young players who will push for spot.

Weise won't get the deal done.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but if your not they do have Backstrom and Harding is still able to play :P

Well, Backstrom does not have nearly as much playoff experience as Luongo does. Also, with Backstrom set to retire within a season or two, a viable option is to acquire Luongo, which only requires the Wild to give up a second-liner, a pick, and a prospect at maximum.

If Minnesota strives to acquire a solid, starting goaltender, I'm sure other GMs will try to pry one or two of the offensive stars.

You do realize that the Maple Leafs have been very fast starters the prior two seasons, right? So if everything has to be status quo doesn't that mean they will go on a long winning streak right now?

Do you also realize that Vancouver had 1 more playoff win than TO last year?

There's only one winner each year, the rest are losers, and Vancouver was a loser just like TO.

Would love to see the Canucks and Leafs complete a trade around Luongo and Kessel. Almost identical cap hit wise. The Canucks could throw in Booth(for some cap room approx 4 m @ trade deadline.) Scrivens could back up Cory tilll Lack was healthy. A 2nd Line with Burrows, Kessel, Raymond would be a huge upgrade until Kesler returns. As mentioned in other thread, I think looking at Burrows as a shutdown C, would greatly free up Kesler when he returns.

I believe having cap space @ deadline will be huge this year as teams attempt to dump players in anticipation of next years Cap.

JMO..

Kessel 5.4

Scrivens 600 K

Luongo 5.33

Booth 4.25

Possible lines....

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Raymond Kessler Kessel

Higgins Burrows Hansen

Volpatii Schroeder Weiss

(Lapierre,Malhotra,Ebbet)

Edler Garrison