The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I was the one that first brought up the name... but my comment was that we need a player "in the mold of Chris Neil/Clutterbuck".

Folks kind of ran with it, I don't actually believe we could get either of those guys as part of a Luongo trade. They are just names that people are relatively familiar with. I am sure there are another half a dozen guys out in the league that can fill the same shoes and we don't really know all that well.

Raffi has averaged .401 pts per game throughout his career whereas Clutterbuck has averaged .328 pts per game throughout his career so I'm not exactly sure where you're getting your stats. Probably drew em out of a hat. And 1.5M for a mere 2 years (not 14 like weber, but 2 yrs) is very fair for a 30pt 3rd liner.

I was the one that first brought up the name... but my comment was that we need a player "in the mold of Chris Neil/Clutterbuck".

Folks kind of ran with it, I don't actually believe we could get either of those guys as part of a Luongo trade. They are just names that people are relatively familiar with. I am sure there are another half a dozen guys out in the league that can fill the same shoes and we don't really know all that well.

I think we're probably going to end up keeping Luongo for the shorten season, then trade him in the off season to move up in the draft. Because I mean if you look at the team with Kesler and Booth in the lineup, there is really no excuse to not win a cup. If half our d-men stop sucking, we have as good a chance as any. We have some holes on the forward position right now, but I expect MG will just ride it out until Kesler and Booth come back from injury. It'll be an interesting month or so as I don't expect us to be a powerhouse in the west this season. We'll probably be fighting for those last 2 playoff spots at least until we're healthy.

Raffi's PPG is bolstered by his previous 20 and 27 goal seasons when he was in Edmonton, where he was in a top 6 role and was an important part of the offense.

He's not that player anymore, he's a 20-30 point player now. Clutterbuck has better offensive skill and is better defensively, also less streaky and he fights more.

Was a fan of Raffi when he was here, and I still like him but I would take Clutterbuck at 1.4 over Raffi at 1.75 10 times out of 10.

Clutterbuck would be nice but doubt Minnesota is a trading partner but if everyone wants a player that can hit with good 2 way play kulemin would be the piece we need from Toronto to make that trade valuable to us, obviously would need other pieces tho. Don't like the idea of gardiner coming with his concussion problem. Gunnersson has looked good to me this far and as well as grabovski

Clutterbuck would be nice but doubt Minnesota is a trading partner but if everyone wants a player that can hit with good 2 way play kulemin would be the piece we need from Toronto to make that trade valuable to us, obviously would need other pieces tho. Don't like the idea of gardiner coming with his concussion problem. Gunnersson has looked good to me this far and as well as grabovski

My proposed deal was Higgins and Connaution for Clutterbuck and Graovac.

It rounds out there top 6 a bit better, and deals a prospect in an area of strength and acquires one in a more weaker area.

I agree on Kulemin, doubt Toronto would be keen on giving him up though, is a pretty big part of their team.

I'm a big Higgins fan but if he doesn't score at least once in the next 5 games, how does that deal along with Ballard and a conditional 3rd for Torres sound, and Luongo and Raymond for Weiss and Petrovic sound? 3rd being conditional on whether Raffi re-signs

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Weiss

Burrows - Schroeder - Clutterbuck

Torres - Lapierre - Hansen

Malhotra, Volpatti, Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Vandermeer - Tanev

Schneider

Lack

If we get Torres it would defeat the purpose of going out and getting Clutterbuck IMO, as they bring similar qualities in that physical, grit sense, but Clutterbuck is simply more rounded.

Also wouldn't trade Ballard as he has been our best defensemen, worth more than Torres at the moment IMO. Also wouldn't send Raymond packing, he is also playing very well.

I would make the Minnesota deal I said, which would leave us with:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Clutterbuck/Hansen

Manny - Lappy - Clutterbuck/Hansen

Who ever out of Clutter and Jannik plays/is playing better gets the 3rd spot, although I would think Clutterbuck fits it more as he brings more offense IMO.

Then keep our defense the way it is as all 3 pairs can play 20+ minutes, and that will be a major advantage for us in the playoffs.

Archived