The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Pretty much everyone here is aware of how good Luongo can be. I am as aware of it as anyone. He provides consistently elite goaltending in the regular season, and in the playoffs he can often steal you a game, or even a series.

However, as I am also aware of, he has repeatedly melted down under high-pressure circumstances. It has happened not once, twice, three, or even four times, but five seperate occasions (four of them resulting in our elimination, one we still pulled out of). It is tough to build a team that is supposed to contend for the cup, only to have your most important player fail you when he is needed most.

Personally, I still think Luongo is a fantastic player, and could be very valuable to a different team, particularly one that is a bubble team, not expected to win it all. For one, he'll almost certainly get a bubble team into the playoffs. Secondly, his ability to steal games and even a whole series could get one of these bubble teams further into the playoffs than they have any business doing. If he does end up crumbling a round or two in, well, nobody would have been expecting the team to go that deep anyways, so it wouldn't be such a big deal.

As for that last point, I think that removal of weight from Luongo's shoulders could do him a world of good. I think his past problems in Vancouver become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. For instance, him choking against the Hawks in 2008-09 and 09-10 was probably in the back of his mind, and his teammates. So as soon as he let in a bad goal in 10-11, it was as though a collective "oh no, here we go again" reverberated not only to the fanbase, but Luongo himself, and to his teammates. The floodgates were open, the team in front of him started to panic and deflate...and it took starting Schneider in game 6 to calm everyone down again. It's in his head, and his teammates' heads as well.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that I think the only way Luongo will get past his inconsistent postseason play is to get out of Vancouver, and start fresh somewhere with less pressure. Could he be a Stanley Cup winning goaltender? Absolutely...but not with the Canucks - not anymore.

Even though I didn't want to, I dug up the box score from Game 7 just to show you that you are completely wrong

Vancouver had 37 shots on goal, whereas Boston had a meesly 21 shots on goal, and Luongo let in three of them for a save percentage of just .857. So really again it was actually Tim Thomas that stood on his head that game, not Luongo. Don't believe me? Here's the link. Go count up Boston's shots yourself

http://canucks.nhl.c...m?id=2010030417

Yes Lou deserves the start!

Food for thought; maybe Lou is being showcased for a trade???

:huh:

Note; any who believe Hodgson was also being showcased are brainwashed. Hodgson was given some offensive zone starts when Kesler and the Twins were struggling. And funny thing; Hodgson led the team in scoring the month he was "showcased." And FTR; we also had a near perfect record and climbed to the top of the NHL. It looked like a good coaching move; and blowing smoke in the media after the fallout nothing more than damage control. Dust in the wind now... Hodgson and Kassian are playng pretty good for their teams, Win / Win?

How very unpredictable of you elvis. I was going to subnote that post you quoted but thought better of assuming you'd bother to go there.

Btw - you're not raising the level of the debate or reducing the redundancy here with these posts, are you.

I find this as tedious, with a measure of superiority complex added in - I think I prefer King and Smashian to be honest.

And you've got the wrong poster there - or evidently you've added Smashian to your list of untouchables. Have you read the past 10 pages? It wouldn't appear this thread requires me to respond to King for it to take it's due course.

well he would have been. not sure whats ur problem. stating a point that all of you only ever post replies to each others comments

Kadri is a center which is more of a need than a winger for this team. So if he was here all hypothetical of course he would be ahead on jensen. And as of now, Lack is done for the season so lets see how he comes back from his surgery to see if hes lost any of his form first aswell

well he would have been. not sure whats ur problem. stating a point that all of you only ever post replies to each others comments

Kadri is a center which is more of a need than a winger for this team. So if he was here all hypothetical of course he would be ahead on jensen. And as of now, Lack is done for the season so lets see how he comes back from his surgery to see if hes lost any of his form first aswell

Just saying you shouldn't be surprised when people say you've been twisting things sideways.

I think you have some reasonable posts, some of which I agree with, some I don't. When you've been responding to King, and even with Smashian now, I've found you to be less about the debate and more about mocking people.

I am trying to at least speak to the Luongo discussion in other posts, in fact I've been replying to a couple of Bookie's posts and we've both made some good points about where Luongo could go. I haven't gotten the feeling you're really doing the same with your posts of late unless it's about beating the same argument you've been having with someone else on a certain point over the last few pages to death.

Just my opinion and I'm not here to tell you you're wrong, just point out how it's being perceived. Forgive me for trying to point it out, I'll not bother you again about it.

That "small, extra" $1.1M amounts to a 31% increase in compensation.

In addition, Jason Garrison got 6 years, while Willie had 2. You're typically granted 1 of the 2 contractual elements of higher term, lower cap hit (Luongo), or lower term, higher cap hit (Semin, Mitchell). Garrison hit a walk-off HR on July 1st of this year. Not comparable contracts.

Archived