The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Frattin and Macarthur are going to be the physicality we need.

Both capable of 20 goals in a regular season, both have been good on the leafs.

Raymond has looked good because Dmen have been getting their legs back, all Raymond can do is skate of course he'll be good for the first 15 games

Gardiner isn't really my favorite pick with how Ballard has played.

I just think Schneider to Toronto is a mega possibility, just depends if Reimer and the other guy suck.

No I love Luongo, I'm glad to see he is playing absolutely, incredibly rock solid. Although really it's nothing new, aside from the inconsistent stretches from time to time he has always been this way.

The point is there are circumstances and things, and in the new NHL, young players on ELC's with sky high upside that can contribute at 20-22 are insanely valuable things, and when you consider cirumstances of the teams and players involved, it only makes it even more likely.

Do I think Luongo is just as if not more valuable than Gardiner or Kadri? Absolutely.

Do I think it is a move that Toronto would ultimately make in there present situation? No I do not.

Good one, I actually chuckled a bit, you deserve credit.

I'm not sure where you get off calling Gardiner and Kadri fringe players, Gardiner last year was a top 4 D-man for them as a rookie who notched 30+ points, and Kadri is currently leading there team in scoring.

I guess you consider 22 year olds on ELC's who play big roles on their teams "Fringe players" Are Zack Kassian and Chris Tanev "Fringe players" aswell?

That deal isn't even close though, I wouldn't do that even if it was Luongo.

I would rather keep Schneider, younger, better contract, no history of playoff collapses, on the verge of being a star and is already one of the better goalies in the league. He also doesn't want to move on like Luongo does.

I would rather just do whats best for both sides rather than have knee jerk reactions to a few good games from Luongo (Not that I expected him not to play well)

I would rather keep Schneider, younger, better contract, no history of playoff collapses, on the verge of being a star and is already one of the better goalies in the league. He also doesn't want to move on like Luongo does.

I would rather just do whats best for both sides rather than have knee jerk reactions to a few good games from Luongo (Not that I expected him not to play well)

So what I expect from you is an unconditional support for our goaltender. What I expect from ANY Canucks fan is unconditional support for our goaltender. one must understand that the true illusion is the propagation of falsification of content which in turn creates unquestioned consent. The Toronto Sports Network (TSN) has been at it for a long, long time, as has the CBC, also based in Toronto.

If anything, Vancouver's isolation, the us against them mentality ought to manifest itself in this situation more than ever whereby our beloved goaltender is sherrished, protected and supported against the wrath and jealoussy of other teams, fans and media alike. This is our chance to prove once and for all our unconditional support for a man whose passion is equal to none.

A lot of big words in short order. I do agree alot of media types have been downplaying Luongo's value a bit, some more than others but Luongo has to go eventually. And who knows if it is to Toronto anyways.

Unless a package of futures come along that is good and we know for sure won't be avaliable in the offseason, or something that helps us significantly right now we should just keep Luongo IMO, then make a move for futures in the offseason, but make no mistake Luongo has to be moved in the offseason, and he is the one that has to move not Cory. and that is for the benefit of both party and player.

Schneider isn't on ELC.

Actually the knee jerk reaction is people coming on and raising all hell about keeping Luongo and trading Schneider after Luongo has a good stretch of games (Which is expected anyways, he is a star goalie, nothing to overreact too)

No not true. Alot of goalies give there team every opportunity to win and their theirs teams just fail. Which hasn't always been the case for Roberto, as big a fan I am it is pretty hard to look past the fact his playoff resume isn't exactly bulletproof.

Luongo was expectional tonight.

But it shouldn't change the situation other than that teams better open up their eyes and realize he isn't going for nothing.

My original proposal of: Frattin + Finn + 1st should seem like highway robbery for Toronto now.

But he is still the one that should be moved, and I love Lu but 1 game doesn't change everything.

.. Schroeder has been pretty good and he is technically on the 3rd line, he is also alot smaller than Kadri who is average size not small (6'0 I believe)

Kadri would fit in either spot IMO, if Hodgson could play 3rd line center on this team and not be considered a liability defensively then Kadri most certainty wouldn't although his offensive skill and ability to play wing make him intriguing.

Although really Kadri water under the bridge as he isn't available anymore.

I don't see it, Kadri & Gardiner aren't available maybe Frattin and a prospect. But really at this point I don't see the rational in trading Luongo for futures while he is playing this well. If Schneider catches fire then I would think about it, or else I would just wait till the offseason unless we are almost certain a package of futures of the same quality wouldn't be available.

When you have a 22 year old player (Kadri) leading your team in scoring, and when you also have a 22 year old top 4 defensmen who is key in all situations for your team, I would anticipate no GM would be eager to move either. Especially while they are on ELC's.

In the salary cap world young players like that who can contribute a ton on ELC's are paramount in value, they are probably at the top of the food chain in terms of the most valuable assets. It's just the reprocussions of the cap coming down.

And also with those 2 in that particular situation, they are huge pieces of there team, And moving them for Luongo would just be a latieral move as it would create a huge hole in the process.

I only quoted this as I pretty much replied to your other points up top.

Actually I disagree, I think there are still some young assets to build around from all 3 teams that could help us.

A deal around Frattin + 1st or Orlov + 1st is something I would be very interested in, Frattin would be a great fit for us moving forward, and Orlov is a very talented young defensemen who could fill a hole assuming we have to part with one of our big ticket Dmen in the offseason. Then a 1st in a deep draft (meaning the 1st holds more value than usual) Is always a great thing to add. Both would probably need to be added onto a bit but they are both very valuable packages.

Archived